Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-06-2024, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
Very nice bike. Too bad about the drama surrounding the wheels but I think you were smart to demand it be made right if the ad misrepresented reality.

That ride can’t have been too long with no water bottles, but the bike looks nice, especially with the Ekar group. Definitely curious about a longer term report on the Grevil and overall setup once you’ve got a few rides under the belt.
I only did around 20 miles, but rode with a friend who was holding an extra water bottle for me! I rode it for another short ride last night on a good mix of gravel and pavement. The bike is pretty impressive on both so far!

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
Old 08-06-2024, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
I only did around 20 miles, but rode with a friend who was holding an extra water bottle for me! I rode it for another short ride last night on a good mix of gravel and pavement. The bike is pretty impressive on both so far!

Each year I ride Barry-Roubaix, a popular gravel race in western Michigan. I noticed one rider this year on a Pinarello Grevil with Ekar. I’ve always been curious but so far haven’t made that leap.
Old 08-06-2024, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
Each year I ride Barry-Roubaix, a popular gravel race in western Michigan. I noticed one rider this year on a Pinarello Grevil with Ekar. I’ve always been curious but so far haven’t made that leap.
It's a fast and efficient bike. I am #225 and the bike is pretty comfortable for me. It really goes when you put the power down and holds speed well.

Old 08-06-2024, 08:23 AM
Administrator

A long time ago i recall a conversation around custom frames, and the comment was made that framebuilders shouldnt fuss too much about frame geometry as the gurus of Pinarello/Colnago/Masi had worked it out long ago.

I agree with this. Pinarello geometry just works for me and the bikes handle like a dream when set up properly. If you are a normally proportioned person, anything out of the Pinarello shop is probably going to work very, very well.
Old 08-06-2024, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
A long time ago i recall a conversation around custom frames, and the comment was made that framebuilders shouldnt fuss too much about frame geometry as the gurus of Pinarello/Colnago/Masi had worked it out long ago.

I agree with this. Pinarello geometry just works for me and the bikes handle like a dream when set up properly. If you are a normally proportioned person, anything out of the Pinarello shop is probably going to work very, very well.
I can't argue with that! A long time ago I ended up with a steel Pinarello. That bike was one of my favorites and still the fastest speed I have gone on a bike while still using a bike computer at 54mph. The bike was stable and confidence inspiring even at that high of speed.

This bike may have a polarizing look, but it is a very high performance machine. The efficiency, comfort and overall performance are very impressive. If I were a one bike kind of guy this could be that bike. I am going to try and get in some more miles today if the weather doesn't get too crazy and see how I feel after!

Old 08-06-2024, 09:54 AM
n - 1

To me, it sounds like the bike shop made things right, even though it wasn’t entirely their fault.

Glad it worked out in the end. I’ve always wanted to try one of those out. That’s a great deal at almost 50% off.
Old 08-06-2024, 10:10 AM

I have to ride on the road quite a bit to find gravel here and that just defeats the purpose for me, but Dang, I would ride gravel if I lived in a place as beautiful as this!

Cool bike, cool scenery, and glad wheels are sorted. Enjoy the ride!
Old 08-06-2024, 11:27 AM
Vendor

Been meaning to comment on this thread for a while. That's a gorgeous bike and even with the mis-shipped wheels, disappointing as that may be, $3500 for this bike even with no wheels at all is a steal of a deal. Glad you didn't return it - unless you well and truly were ambivalent about the bike or just wanted to say 'take that' to Epic, that would have been foolish.
Old 08-06-2024, 12:13 PM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickdoc View Post
I have to ride on the road quite a bit to find gravel here and that just defeats the purpose for me, but Dang, I would ride gravel if I lived in a place as beautiful as this!

Cool bike, cool scenery, and glad wheels are sorted. Enjoy the ride!
My thoughts exactly!

Unfortunately, when I step out my front door....it is paved roads for 30+ miles in every direction!
Old 08-06-2024, 12:34 PM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
My thoughts exactly!

Unfortunately, when I step out my front door....it is paved roads for 30+ miles in every direction!
I’d love to ride in WA. All those epic rides that Jan Heine posts (no matter what you think of him). Especially ones that go out by or around Rainier.
Old 08-06-2024, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Blubba View Post
Been meaning to comment on this thread for a while. That's a gorgeous bike and even with the mis-shipped wheels, disappointing as that may be, $3500 for this bike even with no wheels at all is a steal of a deal. Glad you didn't return it - unless you well and truly were ambivalent about the bike or just wanted to say 'take that' to Epic, that would have been foolish.
Adam is a pal and I've already expressed this to him in a good natured way so I'm throwing it out here for the heck of it:
I think that may be the ugliest bicycle I have ever seen in my life.
It's definitely in the top 5.
Old 08-06-2024, 06:18 PM

I went out for a nice ride today that had a 500ft gravel climb and then consisted of 90% pavement. The wheel tire combo is better for the off road and still the limiting factor, but the bike performs a lot like a road bike. It corners almost as well as my C64 and more than holds its own everywhere else. The bike likes to be pushed and go fast.

Old 08-06-2024, 06:37 PM
Vendor

If you want a ripping fast gravel tire, the Schwalbe G-One RS 700x40 is categorically the best tire I’ve ridden. Not for super loose or chunky, but for most everything else, including pavement, it is soooo good.
Old 08-06-2024, 06:38 PM
Vendor

Ps: I kinda want your new bike. Maybe a temporary Mog for Grevil trade sometime?
Old 08-06-2024, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Blubba View Post
Ps: I kinda want your new bike. Maybe a temporary Mog for Grevil trade sometime?
Possibly in the future! I have some 40mm G-One all-round on the carbon wheels that will be going on this bike. Maybe once those are used up I will give the other G-ones a try?