Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-18-2006, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000
I approve too.

My only question is whether or not by accepting the stock geo and sizes and stock finishes, are we getting the best of the rest? For example, does the Ti HSG have Serotta's best tubesets? Does the carbon HSG have the same tubesets as the Meivici?

This I would like to know.
Certainly the technologies and processes used in the HSG bikes derive directly from our custom bikes. This does not mean that the bikes are composed of left-overs. It just means that we get to pick those aspects of the custom bikes that will best fit the mission of each stock bike.

The HSG carbon has (more or less) the same tubeset and spec as the Attack custom frame, which has a less complex material set than the MeiVici.
The HSG Ti road bike has a tubeset that's a cross between a Concours front end (built really stiff) and a Nove rear end (again, built for stiffness).
The HSG IT, which is the one I'm personally most excited about, uses a carbon tubeset that's actually quite unique to that model.

For me, as a cyclist, HSG is the most exciting product offering to come along since I started working at Serotta. It just seems to me that Kelly, the guys in R&D and production have really managed to put together frame packages that appeal to me as an enthusiast.

James
Old 12-18-2006, 06:57 PM
Bike Fitter

OK James HSG IT and Nove which I know you own , please compare build differences ?
Old 12-18-2006, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike p
"I don't care for the name much either, but the bikes are pretty sweet."

Next time have a forum contest, I'm sure we could give a new model a proper name.

Mike
That really is a great idea. Let's have a naming contest for the next model. Give the winner something cool, like the chance to buy #0001 for cost.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley
OK James HSG IT and Nove which I know you own , please compare build differences ?
HSG IT essentially has a stiff Nove rear combined with a carbon tubeset that is similar to the Nove set, but oversized and wrapped with the 12k weave.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:09 AM

Quote:
The carbon one is still pretty spendy.
It sure is saab2000.
We have a Calfee Luna Pro in our stable. It cost $1500.
The HSG carbon is $4200!. There is nothing that I have read in Serotta's literature that would convince me of the significantly higher price point. Perhaps I missed something.
Here is Ben's claim from the site.

"In other words, these are better built, better tested with greater attention to detail than carbon bikes from leading competitors and they have the superior signature ride found in all Serottas".

My question is simply, why is that?

BTW.
My Legend Ti is my all time favorite bike. And we just added an Ottrott to the stable. So I'm not bashing Serotta.
Dan
Old 12-19-2006, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Le foot
It sure is saab2000.
We have a Calfee Luna Pro in our stable. It cost $1500.
The HSG carbon is $4200!. There is nothing that I have read in Serotta's literature that would convince me of the significantly higher price point. Perhaps I missed something.
Here is Ben's claim from the site.

"In other words, these are better built, better tested with greater attention to detail than carbon bikes from leading competitors and they have the superior signature ride found in all Serottas".

My question is simply, why is that?

BTW.
My Legend Ti is my all time favorite bike. And we just added an Ottrott to the stable. So I'm not bashing Serotta.
Dan
Come to a demo event if you can sometime this year.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:26 AM

Hysterosalpingogram (HSG) is a basic test for infertility and recurrent miscarriage that evaluates the fallopian tubes and uterus.

man! i wanna' ride one of 'em babies!
Old 12-19-2006, 10:28 AM

James, I'm thinking about purchasing a Look 595 Ultra. What makes the HSG carbon better (build, detail) than the Look?
Old 12-19-2006, 10:44 AM

C50

C50 $4100.00 and includes great fork and beautiful paint options plus proven Tour de France competitor.

I don't get all the hype about a standard race geometry. As for Serotta's carbon offerings. I'm sure they will ride nicely, similiar to a Calfee,Colnago,Parlee but in my opinion I don't see anything that justifys the so much higher price for similiar product lines.

As for the Attack vs. HSG Carbon per James post it would seem that one is paying $600.00 for basically a custom bike, unsure but that's how I read it.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serotta_James
Come to a demo event if you can sometime this year.
James that was an incredibly diplomatic answer. Too bad it hasn't been rewarded as such.. :argue:
Old 12-19-2006, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zap
James, I'm thinking about purchasing a Look 595 Ultra. What makes the HSG carbon better (build, detail) than the Look?

Let me first say that the Looks are some of the only bikes for which we jaded bike snobs here at Serotta hold real reverence. They're well made and that 595 is as sexy as bikes come. So, I'm disinclined to speak poorly of their product.

I'm also going to omit talking in detail about some of the fit and longevity issues associated with the integrated seat mast...

Instead, let's focus on the details. The difference between our stock bikes and ANY mass-produced stock bikes is going to come down to the level of detail that our limited-production business model affords us.

In direct comparison: HSG's use Ti hardware in place of aluminum - dropouts, BB and HT inserts, etc. The carbon on those bikes is produced by Reynolds (soon to be in-house) up to the quality standards that you would associate with that company and with us. Our finishing work is done in-house, is of superiour quality and there are several options for every stock bike. The QC level is beyond what any mass-production company will perform. Warranty is lifetime, versus a 5 year for the Look, I think. Ride quality should be similar, I would think. Certainly the HSG won't be less stiff than anything Look is producing.
Old 12-19-2006, 12:39 PM

James. Thanks for your response.
Old 12-19-2006, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serotta_James
Let me first say that the Looks are some of the only bikes for which we jaded bike snobs here at Serotta hold real reverence. They're well made and that 595 is as sexy as bikes come. So, I'm disinclined to speak poorly of their product.

I'm also going to omit talking in detail about some of the fit and longevity issues associated with the integrated seat mast...

Instead, let's focus on the details. The difference between our stock bikes and ANY mass-produced stock bikes is going to come down to the level of detail that our limited-production business model affords us.

In direct comparison: HSG's use Ti hardware in place of aluminum - dropouts, BB and HT inserts, etc. The carbon on those bikes is produced by Reynolds (soon to be in-house) up to the quality standards that you would associate with that company and with us. Our finishing work is done in-house, is of superiour quality and there are several options for every stock bike. The QC level is beyond what any mass-production company will perform. Warranty is lifetime, versus a 5 year for the Look, I think. Ride quality should be similar, I would think. Certainly the HSG won't be less stiff than anything Look is producing.
James last response sums it up. Is Serotta for the budget concious? Not in my view. I think Giants represent great value in terms of $/performance, especially some of the cheaper models, but I don't want a frame mass produced in Taiwan. I chose a Serotta for the build and detailing, the dropouts the finish etc, and knowing that it was produced by enthusiants in a small facility in upstate NY. All points that James makes well.

I am not saying that other non-mass produced frames don't have the same level of love, just that I and many others are prepared to pay for what Serotta produces. Many wouldn't and that's fine. Would I pay more again for a Serotta for my next frame rather than a Look, Calfee, Parlee or Colnago? 100% and I hope Serotta don't change a thing about how they go about their business.
Old 12-19-2006, 05:08 PM

The truth hurts. Serottas are expensive. But I too wouldn't really change a thing about what they make or how they make it. Besides, value is not always the cheapest price.

The HSG bikes will be on my short list when the time comes to get a new one. The other bikes on that list will not be less expensive.

BTW, I am liking that they like Looks!!!! Mine is not a current one, but it means I may have picked well with the used one I have! Neato!
Old 12-19-2006, 05:47 PM
Carbon-loving lifeform

Quote:
The HSG bikes will be on my short list when the time comes to get a new one. The other bikes on that list will not be less expensive.
Any thoughts what the other bikes on the list would be?

Tags
hsg, serotta