Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-09-2022, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
YES. It was doomed from the start because that's the nature of fitness trends.
I’m not sure I agree. Spinning itself isn’t a trend. When I lived in NYC, I went to spin classes, as did every other Tom, Dick and Harry. Incredibly popular form of exercise.

If the pandemic hadn’t happened, they’d probably still be crushing it, because their sales would have been gradual and steady. However, they had a meteoric rise, way too fast, which pumped up sales figures and hence made them think those sales numbers would continue. Obviously that was foolish to believe and making business commitments based on pandemic sales was also stupid. Customers have also realized exercising at home as well as living and working there kinda sucks, so they’re offloading them. Therefore nobody is buying new ones - because the used market is flooded with them.
Old 02-09-2022, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbrwn View Post
I’m not sure I agree. Spinning itself isn’t a trend. When I lived in NYC, I went to spin classes, as did every other Tom, Dick and Harry. Incredibly popular form of exercise.

If the pandemic hadn’t happened, they’d probably still be crushing it, because their sales would have been gradual and steady. However, they had a meteoric rise, way too fast, which pumped up sales figures and hence made them think those sales numbers would continue. Obviously that was foolish to believe and making business commitments based on pandemic sales was also stupid. Customers have also realized exercising at home as well as living and working there kinda sucks, so they’re offloading them. Therefore nobody is buying new ones - because the used market is flooded with them.
Yep, and there's a lot to be said for having a way to knock out a workout in minimal time. We bought one (my wife wanted it) and it went mostly unridden after the first 3 months.

I gave it a shot during fire season when I couldn't ride outside and found it useful once I found the classes/coaches I liked so we still pay for the subscription (I don't have a trainer bike or a trainer).

My oldest kid is now doing the mat Pilates classes too; that subscription revenue is what will save them (and firing their CEO) if anything will.
Old 02-10-2022, 06:19 AM
Randomhead

I guess I can't blame them too much for taking a once in a lifetime opportunity to pump and dump stock. Obviously, nobody knew if it would stick or not. I have a particularly cynical view of indoor fitness equipment. Just like any bike, sales depend on people not using it, but they might some day so they keep it around. But people seem to like their classes. My brother has one and his family uses it.
Old 05-11-2022, 06:02 PM

Stock price is now $12.34, down from an all-time high of $162.72 on Dec. 24, 2020. Will the company rebound or head straight down into bankruptcy?
Old 05-11-2022, 07:51 PM

They’ve put in new leadership since this thread was last active.

I read an interview with the new CEO yesterday.

It’ll be interesting if they turn it around.
Old 05-12-2022, 04:34 PM

"Zwift has announced a round of staff layoffs as well as the “pausing” of its smart bike hardware plans, that were announced just a few months ago. While the numbers of employees affected haven’t been released, the current economic climate is stated as the primary reason behind the online training giant’s decision."
Source: Cycling Weekly

Last edited by merckxman; 05-12-2022 at 04:54 PM.
Old 05-12-2022, 05:08 PM

I think the pause in this case is an euphemism, since they have fired the developers of the hardware, this was remarked by dc rain maker, they would have to start fully from scratch, which would make 0 sense.
Old 05-12-2022, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJohnny View Post
I think the pause in this case is an euphemism, since they have fired the developers of the hardware, this was remarked by dc rain maker, they would have to start fully from scratch, which would make 0 sense.
So did they blow out their smart trainer stock just to raise cash? I thought it was because they were about to release their own hardware..

And there goes the rumor-mill that they are buying TrainerRoad.
Old 05-12-2022, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Curious as to why you guys keep quoting and putting so much faith in dc rain maker?
Old 05-12-2022, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkbike View Post
Curious as to why you guys keep quoting and putting so much faith in dc rain maker?

I would not put it as “putting faith” on this blogger, but when it comes to objective information, the sources he gets information from are reliable. When it comes to subjective opinion from his blog, that is another thing altogether.

In this case, provided with this information, i would conclude the same. Why would a company eliminate a “branch” from it’s development program, if they were to remotely think they would implement it in the future.
Just imagine the resources to get this going again… not viable business model if that was really the way they would pursue it.
Old 05-12-2022, 06:48 PM

Quote:
I would not put it as “putting faith” on this blogger, but when it comes to objective information, the sources he gets information from are reliable. When it comes to subjective opinion from his blog, that is another thing altogether.

In this case, provided with this information, i would conclude the same. Why would a company eliminate a “branch” from it’s development program, if they were to remotely think they would implement it in the future.
Just imagine the resources to get this going again… not viable business model if that was really the way they would pursue it.
Still money to be made by savvy investors!
Old 05-12-2022, 08:19 PM

Quote:

Money talks, you really cant be this gullible!!!!!!
Old 05-12-2022, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red View Post
Stock price is now $12.34, down from an all-time high of $162.72 on Dec. 24, 2020. Will the company rebound or head straight down into bankruptcy?
Possibly ripe for acquisition .. by someone like Lululemon or Nike.
Old 05-12-2022, 10:00 PM

Quote:

Hey, if you are going to keep repeating yourself and resort to name calling, time to move on and don’t feed the troll? Yes sir
Old 05-12-2022, 10:06 PM
Administrator

Quote:
stop insulting people. if you're calling DC Rainmakers integrity into question, either provide some actual insight into your conclusions or stop rambling on and putting his name in the mud. As far as I know, there is no other indy person who knows and has tested more electronics for runners, cyclists and other athletes. he's THE authority IMO.

Your attitude here, as usual is unwelcomed.