Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-03-2024, 06:22 AM

https://www.instagram.com/p/C7t7P6dO...RlODBiNWFlZA==

Not the best advertisement for RH. But to be fair, it is Unbound. Lots of flats happen, and sometimes you just have bad luck.
Old 06-03-2024, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB View Post
but RH are simply off the back when it comes to the state of the technology today. There are much better options for less money that go on the rim with a floor pump and have sidewalls that don’t explode if you look at them cross-eyed. That’s where my tire money goes these days.
It reminds me of doing tubeless on mountain bikes 20 years ago.
Old 06-03-2024, 08:28 AM

I have only used RH tires with tubes, and they have been trouble-free. I have settled on 35mm to 42mm tires, and use them on all roads. They have performed fantastically.

There have been a lot of comments indicating that better tires exist, particularly when used tubeless. I won't refute those claims because I have no experience with tubeless, but what are the preferred options in the 35-42 mm range that offer low rolling resistance, good puncture protection, and are suited for a mix of pavement and dirt roads?
Old 06-03-2024, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merckx View Post
I have only used RH tires with tubes, and they have been trouble-free. I have settled on 35mm to 42mm tires, and use them on all roads. They have performed fantastically.

There have been a lot of comments indicating that better tires exist, particularly when used tubeless. I won't refute those claims because I have no experience with tubeless, but what are the preferred options in the 35-42 mm range that offer low rolling resistance, good puncture protection, and are suited for a mix of pavement and dirt roads?
GP5000 AS
Challenge Strada Bianca
Challenge Getaway Pro
Continental Terra Speed
Panaracer Gravelking

There are plenty of others. Do you want knobs or a smooth tread?
Old 06-03-2024, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravelreformist View Post
GP5000 AS
Challenge Strada Bianca
Challenge Getaway Pro
Continental Terra Speed
Panaracer Gravelking

There are plenty of others. Do you want knobs or a smooth tread?
Thank you for the suggestions. I prefer smooth tread. I haven't found a need for knobs on the dirt roads I ride.

The Conti tire you suggest looks like it is available in 35mm, and that may be an option, though I would prefer 35mm as a starting point.

The stuff floating around on the net regarding Challenge tires has been off-putting. I'm not sure I'm up for the struggle to mount them, deal with treads separating from the casing, and potential blow-offs. Maybe they have solved these issues, and I should reconsider them. The Strada Bianca in 40mm looks swell.

I've used Gravel Kings and they were fine. I prefer the sensations on the RH tires more. They seem to damp road chatter better, and also roll very well.
Old 06-03-2024, 09:07 AM

Quote:

Check out the pathfinder thread recently to see all the praise that tire has. You’ll rarely see someone here complaining about them and you know how we all love specialized here! All for nearly half the price of a RH tire.

They test fast, recently won a World Cup mtb race, last a very long time, and rarely puncture. They don’t weep from the sidewalls or require much effort at all to setup tubeless.

Schwalbe g one r, rs, all around, and speed are all great tires that are drama free with tubeless.

Last edited by Likes2ridefar; 06-03-2024 at 09:11 AM.
Old 06-03-2024, 09:11 AM

Quote:
but what are the preferred options in the 35-42 mm range that offer low rolling resistance, good puncture protection, and are suited for a mix of pavement and dirt roads?
I have had great luck with schwalbe g-one speed or all around and Conti terra speed. They set up super easy tubeless, both have proven to be very reliable, and feel pretty quick on the road with an edge for the terra speed. I know you said smooth tread, but neither are slowed down by the minimal knobs.
Old 06-03-2024, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Thank you for the suggestions. I prefer smooth tread. I haven't found a need for knobs on the dirt roads I ride.

The Conti tire you suggest looks like it is available in 35mm, and that may be an option, though I would prefer 35mm as a starting point.

The stuff floating around on the net regarding Challenge tires has been off-putting. I'm not sure I'm up for the struggle to mount them, deal with treads separating from the casing, and potential blow-offs. Maybe they have solved these issues, and I should reconsider them. The Strada Bianca in 40mm looks swell.

I've used Gravel Kings and they were fine. I prefer the sensations on the RH tires more. They seem to damp road chatter better, and also roll very well.
I personally find Challenge tires worth the mounting effort. Use the mounting method described on their site and a bead jack. Mount without sealant first. Seat the bead, then dismount a few inches of bead if you need to pour sealant in.

Otherwise I agree with the Schwable G-One Speed or Pathfinder (look at the S-Works version if you want the best one).
Old 06-03-2024, 09:55 AM

G-One Speeds are fast on the road, no hassle to set up or maintain (no weeping) and are absolute workhorses. They are what they are on gravel, which is great as long as there's no mud at all. I have 40mm on my Crux for gravel wheels, and took over a minute off my time up a 25ish minute road climb yesterday (solo, no wind) which I didn't think I was currently capable of doing.

Road wheels for that bike have Challenge Stradas, which feel close to the RH sensation (a compliment) but they're a menace to mount and they bleed air pressure at about the rate of a latex tube at least. The Schwalbes need an air top-off every season or so.
Old 06-03-2024, 10:10 AM

It's weird how well mtb tires seal on hookless rims these days. Recently had some new tires (already forgot the brand) that I thought were way loose on the rim.
Mounted them and let small section open, put plenty Stans in, mounted the tire and start rotating and swinging the wheel until the sealant came out around the rim. After that a floor pump sealed both wheels. Tires were tubeless ready.
Old 06-03-2024, 10:12 AM
Meh

Specialized Pathfinder Pro - my current favorite
Shwalbe G-One
Michelin Power Gravel
Vittoria Terreno Dry
Pirelli Cinturato

I would not recommend Challenge tires. WTB gravel tires setup easily but for whatever reason I don't get along well with them.

Last edited by EB; 06-03-2024 at 10:18 AM.
Old 06-03-2024, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegoready View Post
He finished impressively (on cantilever brakes!) but the Rene Herse email about his bike notably states he was running TPU tubes not tubeless:

Tires—everybody is talking about tires at Unbound. At 54 mm, my tires are wider than most. Tires that wide allow me to run extremely low pressures—probably about 21 psi (1.5 bar). This in turn allows me to run a lighter, more supple casing for extra speed and ride feel. Inside the tires are the new Rene Herse TPU tubes.

Why not tubeless? Speed and durability. TPU tubes are considerably faster than liquid sealant sloshing around inside your tubes. And with the tube reinforcing the tire sidewall, cuts are much less likely. The downside is that if I cut a tire, there’s no sealant to (hopefully) seal the cut. I’ll have to change the tube. Fortunately, with TPU tubes being so light and small, I can take plenty of spares. Let’s hope I don’t need them!
Looking forward to his and Ted Kings reports, as well as the bikes of the top 10 finishers. They did something right.
Old 06-03-2024, 10:19 AM

I’m also liking the Teravail Rampart 38mm fast n light I have installed now but don’t have many miles on them yet. They roll smooth and feel fast. However they managed to consume 2oz. of sealant almost instantly…I don’t know where it all went. It appears to be in the tire itself…had no leakage when installing or punctures but both tires while still wet inside had no pooling sealant remaining upon inspection only a few weeks later. Added more and they seem good to go since.
Old 06-03-2024, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmrt View Post
Perhaps he was riding his new TPU tubes to sell them. They are a new item in his catalog. And what better way to showcase them at Unbound.

QUOTE=Pegoready;3388856]He finished impressively (on cantilever brakes!) but the Rene Herse email about his bike notably states he was running TPU tubes not tubeless:

Tires—everybody is talking about tires at Unbound. At 54 mm, my tires are wider than most. Tires that wide allow me to run extremely low pressures—probably about 21 psi (1.5 bar). This in turn allows me to run a lighter, more supple casing for extra speed and ride feel. Inside the tires are the new Rene Herse TPU tubes.

Why not tubeless? Speed and durability. TPU tubes are considerably faster than liquid sealant sloshing around inside your tubes. And with the tube reinforcing the tire sidewall, cuts are much less likely. The downside is that if I cut a tire, there’s no sealant to (hopefully) seal the cut. I’ll have to change the tube. Fortunately, with TPU tubes being so light and small, I can take plenty of spares. Let’s hope I don’t need them!
[/QUOTE]

This has been my experience too with road and gravel tires but regular butyl tubes. For reference, I love tubeless for true MTB tires and would likely never go back to tubes there. But I've consistently had more challenges with tubeless on gravel tires, and rarely flat with tubes on modern tires anyways.

FWIW, I've had great experience with RH tires and tubes. For the price well worth it over gravel kings which I find harder to install, and more fragile. I think RH and even panaracer paselas roll nicer than the gravel kings.
Old 06-03-2024, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
Yep, avoiding panaracer and Rene herse tires for tubeless setups will yield a happier life.

I know they can work, but why bother with so many other great options for often less $.
Just mounted a pair of Panaracer GV tbls 700x35 slicks on 23mm ID WTB carbon wheels...no fuss no muss on first try, ...actually they replaced a warranteed set but I've had several sets on various bikes and have never had a mounting problem which more than I can say for several others.

Tags
no free lunch, snake oil