Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-24-2023, 07:28 AM
Vendor

Jason, I haven’t ridden the Strael but I’ve read a lot lot lot about it. It seems like the Ritchey might be better if you want a pure performance road race feeling bike with the ride qualities of steel. Like I said in my little review, it reminds me of a Giant TCR, one of the snappiest and playful handling bikes out there—but tempered by planted steel confidence on descents and tight corners.
The Strael seems like more of an all ‘rounder, perhaps like an endurance/all road bike with some go fast dna embedded in the geometry.
Old 11-24-2023, 01:26 PM

Great to hear the OP is happy with his bike.

From a purely aesthetic standpoint the rim brake Road Logic has an elegance that is often missing from modern mass produced bikes. I kind of want to build one up.
Old 11-24-2023, 02:51 PM

Excel sports has 20% off on the new ones, most sizes in stock.
Old 11-24-2023, 04:11 PM

Sizing

Baron, I was convinced that at just under 5'8" with 31.5" inseam that I would be set with size 53, but noticed that is the same size you selected while being 5'11". Should I be considering something smaller?
Old 11-24-2023, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonthelee View Post
I really appreciate this thread and currently on the fence between this and a Fairlight Strael.
I think this is a tough comparison since the strael is disc brake not rim brake and the disc brake RL has a different geometry and feel afaik.

I have a strael and I quite like it but I really think that the ritchey is more of a race bike than the strael!
Old 11-24-2023, 06:29 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonthelee View Post
Baron, I was convinced that at just under 5'8" with 31.5" inseam that I would be set with size 53, but noticed that is the same size you selected while being 5'11". Should I be considering something smaller?
Good question. I consulted my bike fitter (guy has done over 1000 and knows me well and has seen several of my bikes) and spoke to the folks at Ritchey and solicited advice in this very thread. Everyone advised 53, and it’s good for me. I like a race fit with lots of drop and a mid reach. Used to ride 56’s, now ride 54’s.

I would call Ritchey customer service and describe your current bikes and fit/ride style preferences. I bet they’ll steer you right. They admit the size chart on their website is kind of wonky.

I could have sized up for a taller fit with less drop, more reach, and it wouldn’t have been wrong…just wrong for me.
Old 11-24-2023, 06:53 PM

uh-oh, the sale at Excel Sports makes it super tempting (!). I've been eyeing one of these lately too.

Has anyone ordered from Excel Sports? (are they a reputable outfit?)

Thanks.
Old 11-24-2023, 07:14 PM

Yes they are great with fast shipping
Old 11-24-2023, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren128 View Post
ordered multiple items from them. 100% legit. in fact, my most recent order from the ritchey website was fulfilled by them.
Old 11-25-2023, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
I think this is a tough comparison since the strael is disc brake not rim brake and the disc brake RL has a different geometry and feel afaik.

I have a strael and I quite like it but I really think that the ritchey is more of a race bike than the strael!
Fairlight sizes me as a 54T based on my measurements, but doesn’t the 54R seem fairly similar in dimensions to a 53 Road Logic?
Old 11-25-2023, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Blubba View Post
Good question. I consulted my bike fitter (guy has done over 1000 and knows me well and has seen several of my bikes) and spoke to the folks at Ritchey and solicited advice in this very thread. Everyone advised 53, and it’s good for me. I like a race fit with lots of drop and a mid reach. Used to ride 56’s, now ride 54’s.

I would call Ritchey customer service and describe your current bikes and fit/ride style preferences. I bet they’ll steer you right. They admit the size chart on their website is kind of wonky.

I could have sized up for a taller fit with less drop, more reach, and it wouldn’t have been wrong…just wrong for me.
Ritchey responded to my sizing inquiry and didn’t recommend a specific size. I think the wild card is the custom steel I have that measures 595/369 for stack and reach. It seems like it’s tough to compare the two since that bike is more of an all day ride/do most things bike. I have an AL Grail used for commuting in size Small that is more similar to the 53, but I have max number of spacers underneath with flipped stem.
Old 12-25-2023, 06:05 AM
ZhugeLiang

My old Ritchey - I sold it eventually but it started my infatuation with Ritchey logic, always wanted to get another one but never did.

Last edited by weisan; 12-25-2023 at 06:07 AM.
Old 12-25-2023, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Blubba View Post
Took it for a 52 mile ride on mostly flat terrain (1700 feet) with a couple of friends yesterday. Took it out again today for a real test ride: Solo, 63ish miles, 6000+ feet. One big 4.5 mile climb. A few 2 mile climbs. A few long bomb descents. A sweet stretch of 3 miles at -2% where you feel like superman cuz you can't really see the downward gradient but can go very fast for very cheap. Endless twisty rollers to die for (or which will kill you, depending on your attitude and level of fatigue on any given day) on everything from perfect pavement to cracked broken holier-than-Jesus pavement.

Yesterday's ride: I refuse to take any credit for the bike holding up just fine alongside an S-Works SL7 and a Giant TCR SL 0. My body was fried (lots of long driving the day before, not much sleep, and I ride too much in general to be awesome-on-demand), but at no point did I think 'man, this isn't enough bike for a ride like this!'. If you can't keep up with your pals on a decently attired Ritchey Logic, it's you, not the bike.

Today: This was the real test ride. These be my thoughts...

With 25mm tires on 19mm internally wide Dura Ace C24 9000 rims, this bike is **PLAYFUL**. That's the word that was going through my head the whole time: Playful. Frisky. It wants to have fun! The faster you go, the more fun it gets. On rollers? Oh my goodness. The best rollercoaster I've ever ridden, and I grew up 15 minutes away from the biggest coaster park in the world, with a season pass for many a-summer of my youth.

Drills it going uphill, both seated and standing. Man, the seated to standing transition is **satisfying**.

Going downhill: I have ridden sharper handling bikes (by a very slight margin) and I have ridden more stable bikes. But I've never ridden a bike that was this sharp and this stable. Or maybe I should replace, or at least temper, 'stable' with 'confident'. Because like I said, this bike is PLAYFUL and 'stableness' in a bike is often achieved at the expense of playfulness. Absolutely not the case here. The Ritchey Logic seems to have 97% of the scalpel turn-and-re-turn capability of my TCR SL 0, compounded with a 110% factor of planted confidence. Exciting? Heck yeah! Scary? Never!
And, the faster you go, the better the textures of the road feel underneath you.

Stiffness? Look, I'm 136 - 140 lbs in the morning, depending on yesterday's ice cream and transit time schedule, so I'm not going to be able to claim to have put this bike to the same kind of extreme wattage testing that others might be able to. But, having ridden a lot of bikes renowned for their stiffness (aforementioned TCR, for one), I can say that the return on investment for your efforts is absolutely there with the Ritchey. It *feels* different, because the materials processing your energy are different, but it feels *good* and it feels *efficient* and effective and it makes me feel strong when I stand up and smash over the other side of a steep pair of rollers.

Comfort? With 25mm tires (measuring as such, too), I obviously didn't intend for this to feel like an endurance bike, and it doesn't. In some ways it feels smoother than a good carbon bike, and then there are other bumps and vibrations that a good carbon bike will devour before they reach your touch points which the Ritchey maybe nibbles on before passing the leftover vibrations on to the rider. So I definitely sacrificed 'smooth comfort' for the playfulness and road feel that *I* desire out of a pure road bike.
I would not purchase a Road Logic thinking it was going to be as comfy as a carbon endurance bike, but I do think that with 30mm tubeless tires, which this new version happily accepts, it could be a smooth enough ride for most people.

Fit: I am 5'11" and opted for the size 53 after consulting with Ritchey, the senior fitter at my bike shop, and with the very helpful folks on this forum. I have 15mm of spacers under the 110mm stem. The saddle height is ~75cm from top of saddle to center of crankbolt. The seatpost has 15mm of offset, and I have the saddle just a couple of mm's back from the center. This feels like a mid-race fit to me --not hyper aggressive, but definitely leaning toward the race side of the spectrum. The frame feels small --looking at it, it is definitely the smallest frame I've ever ridden-- but the fit is excellent.
That said, I could easily have sized up to a 55 and been very comfortable, and for folks seeking a more relaxed position I definitely would do so.
***HOWEVER***
I am running a 53 with a 110mm stem, and the front still feels very nimble. Not twitchy at all, but nimble, like a pure race bike. Putting a shorter stem on this bike would probably change that characteristic of 'nimble' to 'twitchy' pretty quickly. So if sizing up, be careful not to fall victim to the 'I'll achieve less drop on a larger frame and compensate for the longer reach by using a shorter stem'' mistake. There are folks at Paceline and probably at your local bike shop who could discuss this more accurately and scientifically than I can, but the thought occurred to me so I'm passing it on here.

In a nutshell: Both the mechanic who built and test rode the bike and myself both had the same thought, independently (which is pretty neat!): This bike rides like a steel Giant TCR. It's soooo reactive, so much fun, can go really gosh darn fast, and feels so pure. It's the kind of bike that inspires thoughts like 'if you enjoy riding a bike, you'll love riding this one.'

I'm very very happy with it and can't wait to go out again tomorrow...or later today?

Get it if you want a fun fast bike.
Don't get it if you want an endurance bike.
Don't get it to replace your carbon bike, but do get it if you like to taste different flavors of bike feelings on different days.

Solid 10/10 from me!
Great wordsmithery Mike! A real pleasure to read.
Old 12-25-2023, 12:23 PM
commuter racer

This place rocks. Wishing Keith a speedy recovery.
Old 12-25-2023, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren128 View Post
uh-oh, the sale at Excel Sports makes it super tempting (!). I've been eyeing one of these lately too.

My last three frames (Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey) came from Excel. They're as reputable as shops get.