Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2024, 10:08 PM

I can't see the thread I mentioned but we disagree.

Not to even pick apart the 11 drops of lube for @100 links of chain, wipe in and wipe clean(!) etc. Hahahaha.
Old 07-25-2024, 10:20 PM

No doubt that place had some good info, but you had to wade through a lot of portentousness (on a bike forum!) to get to it. And the relentless sort of influencer-style promotion of lube, certain frame makers and their pals and sponsors or whatever etc. was a bit much, embarrassing even. I recall one guy had the temerity to point this out and was promptly banned, which was par.
Old 07-25-2024, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwdm View Post

But my experiences on that forum make me think Too Tall (Josh) is one of the great guys in cycling.

Jeff
He is indeed……
Old 07-26-2024, 02:15 AM

Forums have a dearth of new blood bc of the suck/fragmentation by FB groups/Reddit/Discord (to a far lesser extent). See: VWVortex/Rennsport. Honestly, it's a bummer. There's a wealth of knowledge in these places that's slowly evaporating thanks to search optimization and en****tification.

VS has its own host of issues...I love the place for the knowledge it imparted on me, but haven't posted in years bc of what an echo chamber of circa 2010 Portlandia it can become. I (as a slightly younger demo) still love the same ****, but I don't fetishize it much anymore, probs bc I grew up, worked extensively in the niche, and realized what an illusion the idealized life is. This place seems a little more honest, even if my tastes don't frequently align.

Also, the anti-diversity rhetoric cloaked in "i'm older and know better" from a certain VS regular put me off, which feels disappointing to say. Lost a lot of respect for folks I genuinely looked up to ATH when the transpanic cycling brouhaha dropped. ymmv, atmo.

Last edited by Heisenberg; 07-26-2024 at 02:19 AM.
Old 07-26-2024, 08:45 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post
To add to the blasphemy, it has mechanical shifting with 2X in front! Aluminum wheels handbuilt by me. And frame purchased here from the Paceline classifieds

Greg
HERESY..Burn it at the stake fueled by unused chain lube!! You are BANNED from the classified section until you REPENT!!

Nice rig-Huzzah!!
Old 07-26-2024, 08:49 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshell View Post

Not to even pick apart the 11 drops of lube for @100 links of chain, wipe in and wipe clean(!) etc. Hahahaha.
Not surprised ya got banned..the 'funny bone' 'over there' has been broken for a while. I left before I got banned...
Old 07-26-2024, 10:42 AM

I'm a lurker at VS and enjoy the discussions. Heck, I barely post here, but I highly appreciate the shared knowledge and discussions.

Each forum has it's own vibe - and that's a good thing. What good is another forum with the same vibe?

Enjoy your ride,
Murph
Old 07-26-2024, 11:36 AM

I’ve posted in VS tech section to get help/insights on issues and have received helpful tips/comments that moved projects along e.g. https://www.velocipedesalon.com/foru...79#post1068179

Cross posted here and no response e.g. https://forums.thepaceline.net/showp...0&postcount=42

For me at least, VS has been a great resource for bike related tech and maintenance tips.
Old 07-26-2024, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmurph View Post
I'm a lurker at VS and enjoy the discussions. Heck, I barely post here, but I highly appreciate the shared knowledge and discussions.

Each forum has it's own vibe - and that's a good thing. What good is another forum with the same vibe?

Enjoy your ride,
Murph
Well said, and the vibe ATH led me to conclude that to avoid comments like "I'm going to start calling these threads, "Do you like my orange shirt?" Because they're that interesting.", I'd rather lurk and observe than post.
Old 07-26-2024, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshell View Post

I've known Josh for decades and know well his cycling endeavors in all sorts of crap weather. He knows what chain lubricants work in varied conditions.

In the real world Josh has done far more for cyclists and the cycling community than anyone I know. From helping fellow cyclists fix/build bicycles, helping stranded cyclists in the middle of nowhere, helping out at cycling races and organizing cycling camps for friends.

More importantly, Josh will show up out of the blue to help you out with something not related to cycling. How many of us have friends like that?

We all post stupid crap on the web from time to time. Maybe there is a certain "vibe" that's different and not to our liking. I certainly don't get some of it.

We need to look past the "web" to really know a person. You never know, you might have a mechanical in the middle of nowhere that you can't fix and Josh rolls up and helps you get rolling again.
Old 07-26-2024, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zap View Post
I've known Josh for decades and know well his cycling endeavors in all sorts of crap weather. He knows what chain lubricants work in varied conditions.

In the real world Josh has done far more for cyclists and the cycling community than anyone I know. From helping fellow cyclists fix/build bicycles, helping stranded cyclists in the middle of nowhere, helping out at cycling races and organizing cycling camps for friends.

More importantly, Josh will show up out of the blue to help you out with something not related to cycling. How many of us have friends like that?

We all post stupid crap on the web from time to time. Maybe there is a certain "vibe" that's different and not to our liking. I certainly don't get some of it.

We need to look past the "web" to really know a person. You never know, you might have a mechanical in the middle of nowhere that you can't fix and Josh rolls up and helps you get rolling again.
100% true.
Old 07-26-2024, 01:05 PM

Quote:

Cool. Not pertinent to my experience or comment.
Old 07-26-2024, 08:58 PM

For what it's worth, I have never seen a 6 page thread on VSalon about another forum.

When Paceline was down a couple of months ago someone posted a question on VSalon to see if anyone knew what was happening. A few people chimed in attempting to provide information, and people ultimately wished the Paceline head honcho well after it was revealed that he had a bad accident. And that was that.
Old 07-26-2024, 09:01 PM

Quote:

Word.
Old 07-26-2024, 09:04 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by bewheels View Post
For what it's worth, I have never seen a 6 page thread on VSalon about another forum.

When Paceline was down a couple of months ago someone posted a question on VSalon to see if anyone knew what was happening. A few people chimed in attempting to provide information, and people ultimately wished the Paceline head honcho well after it was revealed that he had a bad accident. And that was that.
I agree that a lot of the "I don't really like that other place" comments over here directed towards the VS are in poor taste. You don't like it? Then don't go there. Simple as that.
Closed Thread

Tags
atmo, capitalism, cool kids table