Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-14-2023, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave thompson View Post
Yup. I sold it to SoCalSteve. You got it from him, no?
Can't remember, Dave...they come and go.
Old 11-14-2023, 12:48 PM
registered registrant

Nice. Mine does not have any Columbus tubing decals. Is yours bilam, too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver1850 View Post
Technically that's a Colorado II I think. The run of CIIs started when they switched to Columbus tubing, 1990 I think. Here's mine.
Old 11-14-2023, 04:06 PM

I've had a bunch of Serottas come and go in the past nine years. Thanks to many on this forum who helped me ID frames, piece together my builds, sold me frames, and even painted my frames!

#1: 1992 Colorado LT. Bought on eBay in 2014, but I think I eventually found out that this was originally owned by Sailorboy here on the forum. It is a little big for me, since it's a 54, but I love it.

This frame has seen a number of different iterations over the years. I first built it up with Dura Ace 7800 and some CK bling:

Then I met Craig Forest Ryan on this forum (Foresta frames RIP... ) and had him do an amazing custom 90's fade paint job on it. Then I built it up neo-retro style with Campy Athena 11s:

I ran it like that for years, until it's current iteration as of last year, my singlespeed townie/beer run bike:

#2: I am a sucker for Serotta fades, and picked up this 1992 (?) Colorado LT (built w/Ultegra 6700) from stairalas on this forum in 2016. Sadly I ended up selling this locally (I wish I kept this one, the colors are awesome).

#3: Took a chance on this 1999-2000(?) CSI frame that was listed on eBay in 2019 with odd/incorrect measurements and luckily it was my size. Came with F1 carbon fork and C5S Columbus tubing. Built it up neo-retro style again with DA9000 and Enves. This one was sold to fund some other bike projects...

#4: Covid Craigslist find. Picked up this 1992(?) Colorado LT in 2000 after seeing a grainy picture on Craigslist. Threw all caution to the wind at the time and met the seller in person with masks and gloves on to pick up this bike. It turned out to be a gem after cleaning it up. Paint in great condition. I still have this one. It fits me slightly better than my townie above, since this is a 52.
Old 11-15-2023, 10:16 AM

Six and counting

1. Legend Ti, Big Boy Blue / polish, with etched decals on the chainstays. Built for a guy who weighed 250 lbs., as compared to my 185. Very stiff with a massive downtube. I rode it long and hard, then sold it to fund an Ottrott purchase. I would like it back.
  2. Fierte iT - Built up as a single-speed, later modified to use a front disc brake using a Nashbar disc fork. Sold to a Forumite who sadly drove it into his garage.
  3. Ottrott ST - A work of art with a gloss black / nude finish. A sublime ride. Custom, but not for me. Under-built with a TT too long for me, it tossed me off twice, after which I reluctantly let it go.
  4. 2011 Colorado - Bought new / lightly used / rented (the story varied depending on who told it) from a famous shop just west of Boston at a deep discount, an accomplishment in and of itself. Really nice ride but the fit wasn't great, sold on.
  5. CdA - Finally found one in my size. Almost as sweet as the Ottrott. A screaming deal at $650 for the F/F/HS. Built up with silver 105 and Open Pros. Still in the garage.
  6. HSG - With a Meivici serial number, a ride very close to that of the Ottrott, and nude / gloss black paint, at just $675 for the F/F/HS, this has to be my all-time champion screaming deal. Another work of art. Still in the garage.
Tim
Old 11-15-2023, 10:44 AM
Two wheels good

I owned both the same Colorado II twice and a Legend Ti twice. If I had a chance to own each of them a third time I probably would.
Old 11-15-2023, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthurow View Post
Nice. Mine does not have any Columbus tubing decals. Is yours bilam, too?
As I recall, the seat cluster has a full lug at the top and seat tubes. The top tube/head tube joint has a lug on the top half and is fillet brazed on the bottom half. The down tube has a full lug at the head tube and is fillet brazed at the bottom bracket - as is the seat tube. I have two CIIs built this way, the other has internal top tube cable routing with the ill advised top of tube ports. Pretty sure at least one of my other CIIs is fully lugged, like a CSI.
Old 11-15-2023, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cueoner View Post
I've had a bunch of Serottas come and go in the past nine years. Thanks to many on this forum who helped me ID frames, piece together my builds, sold me frames, and even painted my frames!

This frame has seen a number of different iterations over the years. I first built it up with Dura Ace 7800 and some CK bling:

Then I met Craig Forest Ryan on this forum (Foresta frames RIP... ) and had him do an amazing custom 90's fade paint job on it. Then I built it up neo-retro style with Campy Athena 11s:

Nice collection. I really like the pink/blue fade. That's an interesting CII as it appears to be fully lugged but has casing loops on the top tube. I wonder if it had been repainted when you purchased it and the loops added at that time. Internal routing was standard on the later CIIs, but Dave Kirk has mentioned that team bikes often were built with external routing. I assume custom frames could be ordered that way as well.
Old 11-15-2023, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Nice collection. I really like the pink/blue fade. That's an interesting CII as it appears to be fully lugged but has casing loops on the top tube. I wonder if it had been repainted when you purchased it and the loops added at that time. Internal routing was standard on the later CIIs, but Dave Kirk has mentioned that team bikes often were built with external routing. I assume custom frames could be ordered that way as well.
I think it's a Colorado LT which would explain the external cable guides.

-Bob
Old 11-15-2023, 05:20 PM
50 bpm

Roll call
(all former bikes unless otherwise listed)
  • '99 Atlanta
  • '96 CSI
  • '00 Concours
  • '06 LaCorsa
  • '02 Atlanta
  • '01 CSI
  • '98 Atlanta
  • '08? Meivici
  • '05 CIII (wife's bike, now our daughter's)
  • '01 Legend (now my son-in-law's)
  • '08 Fierte IT
  • '10 Fierte IT (the last of the Mike bikes)

Last edited by Elefantino; 11-16-2023 at 10:28 AM.
Old 11-15-2023, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_in_pa View Post

-Bob
Good call. I always forget about that one as I've never seen one except in photos.
Old 11-15-2023, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefantino View Post
Roll call
(all former bikes unless otherwise listed)
  • '99 Atlanta
  • '96 CSI
  • '00 Concours
  • '06 LaCorsa
  • '02 Atlanta
  • '01 CSI
  • '98 Atlanta
  • '05 CIII (wife's bike, now our daughter's)
  • '01 Legend (now my son-in-law's)
  • '08 Fierte IT
  • '10 Fierte IT (the last of the Mike bikes)
Hopefully not the last....
Old 11-16-2023, 09:25 AM

Thanks Bob. That's correct, all of the Colorados in my post are LTs.

Quote:

-Bob

oliver1850's comment about the external guides on my frames had me questioning myself! I was 100% sure they weren't repainted or custom, and then was just logging on this morning to say these were LT's and not II's. And thank you for the kind words btw. I love the pink/blue fade as well!
Old 11-16-2023, 10:27 AM
50 bpm

Quote:
Hopefully not the last....
There's always hope...
Old 11-16-2023, 11:10 AM

#1 My Samurai Orange Colorado II. I first saw it in the classifieds here but wound up getting it off of ebay. A little odd in that I think it was a factory repaint and updated fork, since I don't think the color or threadless fork were offered when it would have been built. I guess I have a thing for orange bikes and I really like the panels.

https://flic.kr/p/2pg93my

#2 is my Legend (or Ti as it's marked). Another odd one in the serial number prefix doesn't match what's normally seen. This just may be my favorite bike of all time.

https://flic.kr/p/2pg9EXF

#3 is another Colorado II. This was kind of a package deal with the Legend that I really wasn't interested in, but I find myself riding this one a lot. The steel fork is nice and lets me run a little bigger tire than the F1s do.

https://flic.kr/p/2pg2P2s

I suspect there'll be others, the hunt for big bikes that "check the boxes" is just too fun.

-Bob

** Not sure why the foto links aren't working...

Last edited by bob_in_pa; 11-16-2023 at 11:14 AM.
Old 11-16-2023, 12:28 PM

Quote:
#1 My Samurai Orange Colorado II. I first saw it in the classifieds here but wound up getting it off of ebay. A little odd in that I think it was a factory repaint and updated fork, since I don't think the color or threadless fork were offered when it would have been built. I guess I have a thing for orange bikes and I really like the panels.

https://flic.kr/p/2pg93my

#2 is my Legend (or Ti as it's marked). Another odd one in the serial number prefix doesn't match what's normally seen. This just may be my favorite bike of all time.

https://flic.kr/p/2pg9EXF

#3 is another Colorado II. This was kind of a package deal with the Legend that I really wasn't interested in, but I find myself riding this one a lot. The steel fork is nice and lets me run a little bigger tire than the F1s do.

https://flic.kr/p/2pg2P2s

I suspect there'll be others, the hunt for big bikes that "check the boxes" is just too fun.

-Bob

** Not sure why the foto links aren't working...
I really like the green on the Ti frame. I think the original CII is a 1992 in onyx/emerald, which was optional at no extra cost on the CII. I also have a repainted CII, probably done at the factory near the same time as yours as it has the same USA and "S" decals near the BB shell. My guess is they didn't have the CII decals in all colors so mine just reads Colorado. I'd be interested in comparing serial numbers. I'd guess mine is also 1992 as it's the fully lugged version.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Colorado II mini.jpg (142.1 KB, 217 views)