Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-20-2024, 05:53 PM

Thanks everyone, after spending way too much time looking at washers and reviews, and reddit threads, I bought a LG front loader today. The downside its not going to be delivered for 5 days, and we have been without a washer already for 4 days.

I think I'm going to pull the old one apart and see what I can sell on eBay. I just put a new lid lock switch in the spring, and the controller board seems fine. Maybe I'll get a little money back and keep some stuff out of the landfill, or perhaps keep some money out of the big box store pockets thats going to haul it away.
Old 09-21-2024, 06:00 AM

Hi all. I have an LG front loader and I have been very happy. I think it cleans well and is gentle on clothes, particularly my cycling kit. I can hang up my Bibs for 30 minutes and they are dry enough to wear. I also appreciate that it is warter and energy efficient. I looked into the Speed Queen but it really doesn’t review well at all in terms of cleaning. I do all the laundry for a family of five and our washer is used all the time!
Old 09-21-2024, 11:03 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguy00 View Post
My advice, avoid the front load washers. Buy a classic style top load with the centre agitator.
Just a few notes since we went no agitator washer, front loader in our case.

We use 1/2 as much detergent, the amount of lint in the dryer is much less, do that math yourself.

It self resolves unbalances. Guessing top loader can't do that as well if at all. It spins clump slow to top and shakes it loose dropping to bottom and reset cycle. First time it did that I was like "no way".

It also spins more moisture out than any other machine we've ever had. Sounds like a turbine, the spin RPMs are insane.

The dryer also has a water connection, it uses this for a few cycles of refreshing and wrinkle obliterating quite well. Our set are 5 year old Samsung FWIW. Back when you could get a set on sale for 1200.00 which is what we paid. Prices for machine with the 'extra' cycles are stupid money it seems like.

Last edited by robt57; 09-21-2024 at 11:34 AM.
Old 09-21-2024, 01:01 PM
Sebastian

I have a LG front loader which has been rock-solid so far. I'd recommend opening the door and soap loader for a few hours after washing to keep that wet water smell down. There's also a a little water reservoir at the bottom of the washer which can be accessed through a small panel on the front. I usually empty that after every wash. Depending on the load size there can be a significant volume of water in there.
Old 09-21-2024, 01:18 PM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbass View Post
I have a LG front loader which has been rock-solid so far. I'd recommend opening the door and soap loader for a few hours after washing to keep that wet water smell down. There's also a a little water reservoir at the bottom of the washer which can be accessed through a small panel on the front. I usually empty that after every wash. Depending on the load size there can be a significant volume of water in there.
That is the drain filter. It only needs to be emptied every once in a while
or so depending on how much washing you do. The point is to remove and clean the filter, not drain the water. The water in there is flushed out with every load you run. It is also recommended to run a cleanse cycle every 30 loads or so. A little bleach in the main compartment or dispenser (depending on the model) and 20 minutes later all done. This will keep any mold or mildew from forming.
Old 09-21-2024, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtb_frk View Post
I think I'm going to pull the old one apart and see what I can sell on eBay. I just put a new lid lock switch in the spring, and the controller board seems fine. Maybe I'll get a little money back and keep some stuff out of the landfill, or perhaps keep some money out of the big box store pockets thats going to haul it away.
Get ready for some epic levels of biomass inside that drum.