Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-30-2020, 04:51 PM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
I feel a bit bad for Hayward who was clearly not 100% but made a huge effort to be there.
I almost feel like I was watching a different series from some of y'all... (I say "almost" because admittedly I didn't watch all 48 minutes of every game).

But when I was watching, Marcus Smart -- aside from missing a few shots -- was displaying the kind of heart and hustle and tenacity that you want from a guy in the playoffs, and Gordon Hayward was displaying the kind of mustache that you want from the lead in a high school musical when he has to play an adult. And little else of note.
Old 09-30-2020, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
I almost feel like I was watching a different series from some of y'all... (I say "almost" because admittedly I didn't watch all 48 minutes of every game).

But when I was watching, Marcus Smart -- aside from missing a few shots -- was displaying the kind of heart and hustle and tenacity that you want from a guy in the playoffs, and Gordon Hayward was displaying the kind of mustache that you want from the lead in a high school musical when he has to play an adult. And little else of note.
Haha. That’s hysterical. I agree with you on Smart. But once you’ve dug yourself a rhetorical hole, it’s tough to get out of 😉
Old 09-30-2020, 05:07 PM

Quote:

4-13 from three point range and took more threes than anyone else on the team. Between that and that horrid 3 foul stretch in the fourth as the game slipped away, Smart had the second worst plus/minus of any Celtic.

Yes, the Celtics problems start with Tatum disappearing for long stretches and Jaylen Brown being wildly inconsistent, but activity on the court doesn't always equal productivity. No one argues Smart is active. But he shouldnt be taking 13 threes in a make or break conference finals game.

Lotta guys have heart and okay hard. Some are actually talented though.
Old 09-30-2020, 05:58 PM

Quote:

My original point was that Hayward didn’t play great, was clearly limited by his ankle but did make some personal sacrifices to get back inside the bubble and play when he could have (IMO should have) stayed home for the birth of his kid.

But yes, LOL at Hayward’s “I’m a mixologist at a speakeasy” stache
Old 09-30-2020, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
4-13 from three point range and took more threes than anyone else on the team. Between that and that horrid 3 foul stretch in the fourth as the game slipped away, Smart had the second worst plus/minus of any Celtic.

Yes, the Celtics problems start with Tatum disappearing for long stretches and Jaylen Brown being wildly inconsistent, but activity on the court doesn't always equal productivity. No one argues Smart is active. But he shouldnt be taking 13 threes in a make or break conference finals game.

Lotta guys have heart and okay hard. Some are actually talented though.
Don’t we give some credit to Miami here for deciding who they wanted to give open shots to? They baited/forced Smart into a lot of those threes and though he’s not a great shooter, there’s not much worse for a modern offense than a guy who stops the ball instead of taking the shot or moving it along. I’m gonna blame Boston’s stagnant offensive sets more than Smart.
Old 09-30-2020, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Don’t we give some credit to Miami here for deciding who they wanted to give open shots to? They baited/forced Smart into a lot of those threes and though he’s not a great shooter, there’s not much worse for a modern offense than a guy who stops the ball instead of taking the shot or moving it along. I’m gonna blame Boston’s stagnant offensive sets more than Smart.
Totally, and Stevens should bear his share of the burden, but Smart is the guy on the floor doing the thing.
Old 09-30-2020, 11:19 PM

Let's be charitable and say Lakers in 5.

But keep the brooms nearby.
Old 10-04-2020, 09:05 PM

It’s still going to be 5, but I’ve enjoyed this Jimmy Butler performance, which are words I never expected to type.
Old 10-04-2020, 09:19 PM

Quote:
It’s still going to be 5, but I’ve enjoyed this Jimmy Butler performance, which are words I never expected to type.

Last edited by XXtwindad; 10-10-2020 at 08:20 AM.
Old 10-10-2020, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Let's be charitable and say Lakers in 5.

But keep the brooms nearby.
Still room on the bandwagon. Everyone will be appropriately socially distanced.

Last edited by XXtwindad; 10-10-2020 at 08:21 AM.
Old 10-10-2020, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
Still room on the bandwagon. Everyone will be appropriately socially distanced.
I’m on it. If we see a better performance from Bam in game 6, especially if AD still hobbled, then maybe we’ll get 7 out of this.
Old 10-11-2020, 08:31 PM

If you appreciate team basketball, then the defensive effort from the Lakers in Game 6 has to be high on your list.

Yeah, Butler's legs are shot after 70 minutes in this series, but the Lakers put the clamps on and haven't let go.
Old 10-11-2020, 08:42 PM

Quote:
If you appreciate team basketball, then the defensive effort from the Lakers in Game 6 has to be high on your list.

Yeah, Butler's legs are shot after 70 minutes in this series, but the Lakers put the clamps on and haven't let go.
Absolutely. Totally impressive. Has there been anyone still physically at the top of their game at such a late age as the King? At the age of 36, Jordan’s prowess was more mental (an under appreciated facet of LBJ) than physical.
Old 10-11-2020, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
Anyone willing to be Dead Wrong in Public?

I'll take the Lakers in Six.

MVP: The King.
A Star is Born: Bam
A Star is Born (runner-up) Toss-up between Caruso and Herro.
On the other hand: a couple new bikes for the kiddos.
Old 10-11-2020, 09:12 PM

Edit: I also wonder when the hoop heads addled with 90s nostalgia (me, for example) will admit that LeBron has a legitimate claim to GOAT status. Almost 10 years straight in the finals.

Yes, Russell, but that was a different era.