Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-18-2021, 06:10 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architectjock View Post
I am about to give up on Ekar. Does anyone know if they or someone will make a 36t chainring or will they come up with a larger cassette like Sram? I need more gear on gravel. I'm not twenty anymore...
Really? 38/44 is not low enough for you?

Just looking at the BCD it doesn’t look like the crank will support much smaller of a chainring; but maybe with an elliptical ring. I have actually asked absolute black, wolftooth and others if they were planning rings but have not heard anything definitive yet.
Old 06-18-2021, 06:54 PM

Yeah, i'm 2 years into training again after 30 years or so off. I'm down to 250 or so and yes, that is not enough gear for me. Over 10% and its a walk for me. I just finished Unbound 100 and the last 4 hills for walkers for me pretty much. I would kill for a 52. It is a great groupset but I was in north carolina last week trying to climb a 12 mile continous 7% mountain and just gave up at 8 miles in.
Old 06-18-2021, 07:51 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Yeah, i'm 2 years into training again after 30 years or so off. I'm down to 250 or so and yes, that is not enough gear for me. Over 10% and its a walk for me. I just finished Unbound 100 and the last 4 hills for walkers for me pretty much. I would kill for a 52. It is a great groupset but I was in north carolina last week trying to climb a 12 mile continous 7% mountain and just gave up at 8 miles in.
understood. more options are always good.

it might take a while, but once the other big players go to 13 there will definitely be more cassette options out there. i'm reasonably sure that within the next year or so someone will release a crankset with other 1X options that can handle a ekar chain.
Old 06-24-2021, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wangsanegara View Post
I did the machining at my own shop and takes less than 30 min of work. I don't know how much the Machine Cost/hour in the US, but I think it's really worthit.

Since no brand that I know is offering ovals for Ekar, and the limitation of 38T (PCD Limitation) I have to use a different brand of the crank.

A.W
Did you remove an equal amount of material from each side of the ring?
Anything else?
Old 07-03-2021, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaghettispokes View Post
Anyone have issues with the clutch getting stuck? On upshift it starts getting really noisy and more vibration than usual. I contacted Campy but they don't always get back to me. I couldn't find any info on servicing the clutch or removing the cover...
Did you ever work this out? I'm asking because I'm also facing noise problems with my Ekar derailleur. However, I'm not sure if we're talking about the same issue.

My Ekar derailleur has been making loud clicking noises. When I pedal hard it's on every pedal stroke, so not when shifting. I was almost certain the sound was coming from the rear axle or the freewheel body, so I checked those but the sound didn't go away.

So I took a close look at the derailleur, and I could produce the click by gently pushing the upper jockey wheel towards the cassette. The derailleur is correctly set up and shifts absolutely perfectly. It has never hit anything. The noise seems to come somewhere from the locking mechanism with the button that pops out for easy wheel change.

As a remedy, I removed the derailleur from the dropout and greased that locking mechanism, and the clicking is now a lot more silent. However, it didn't fully go away and I suspect it will return...
Old 07-03-2021, 08:54 PM

Quote:
I am about to give up on Ekar. Does anyone know if they or someone will make a 36t chainring or will they come up with a larger cassette like Sram? I need more gear on gravel. I'm not twenty anymore...
A 36 may not clear the chainring bolts with the 123 mm bolt circle diameter that Ekar uses. An oval ring would would. If you recall, before compact cranks when Shimano used 130 mm BCD, the smallest available ring was a 39.
Old 07-04-2021, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antti5 View Post
A 36 may not clear the chainring bolts with the 123 mm bolt circle diameter that Ekar uses. An oval ring would would. If you recall, before compact cranks when Shimano used 130 mm BCD, the smallest available ring was a 39.
38t
Old 07-04-2021, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycletricycle View Post
38t

lol i was wondering if anyone would post a correction..although i dont recall if shimano ever offered 38t inners i know there were aftermarket 38's that would fit
Old 07-04-2021, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw3759 View Post
lol i was wondering if anyone would post a correction..although i dont recall if shimano ever offered 38t inners i know there were aftermarket 38's that would fit
I actually did have a 38t myself, made by Stronglight as far as I can remember. It was a very, very tight fit, and the chain could actually touch one of the chainring bolts. So Shimano only offered a 39t small ring, just like Campagnolo did for their 135 mm BCD cranks.
Old 07-08-2021, 01:46 PM

Is there any update on suppliers for Ekar 13sp compatible 1x chainrings? I have a beloved Easton EC90SL crankset as well as normal 110BCD Quarq cranksets that I would like to see being able to use with the Ekar groupset.
Old 08-10-2021, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalava View Post
Is there any update on suppliers for Ekar 13sp compatible 1x chainrings? I have a beloved Easton EC90SL crankset as well as normal 110BCD Quarq cranksets that I would like to see being able to use with the Ekar groupset.
I'm keeping an eye out myself. Would love to see something come along for a 110/BCD5 show up.
Old 08-15-2021, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biciklanto View Post
I'm keeping an eye out myself. Would love to see something come along for a 110/BCD5 show up.
Just saw this post today from the guys at Ratio Technology who have a 12s SRAM mechanical shift solution.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CSnUhWxL0EE/

Old 08-16-2021, 06:12 AM

I have the CN300 Campy chain tool and of course it won't work with EKAR chain as the teeth that you put the chain over are too wide for 13S. I took a file to the outside of the teeth that hold the chain in the tool. It works great now for 0 Cost.

This was the original 11S tool.
Old 08-16-2021, 07:30 AM
Administrator

just as a heads up if anyone is in need: Merlin Cycles currently has all options for ekar chainrings. I've been after a 38t ring forever, and any individual chainrings have been hard to find in stock anywhere. i ordered one yesterday and it shipped already, but i'm not optimistic it will show up before d2r2 this weekend, but that would be nice.
Old 08-17-2021, 02:23 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
just as a heads up if anyone is in need: Merlin Cycles currently has all options for ekar chainrings. I've been after a 38t ring forever, and any individual chainrings have been hard to find in stock anywhere. i ordered one yesterday and it shipped already, but i'm not optimistic it will show up before d2r2 this weekend, but that would be nice.
i dont know how they do it over there, but from the UK to my door in 2 days is pretty amazing IMO.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7823.jpg (77.6 KB, 237 views)