Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-26-2024, 05:05 PM
aluminati

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaSS View Post
I don't think "told ya so" with a frowny face is a victory lap. The Pros Closet could have A LOT more forthcoming in that they were going out of business over the last couple of weeks, instead of this "end of season" sale BS. I have a lot more trepidaton of buying a used bike from an entity going out of business than one that I know is a going concern. And what about those folks who are holding credit at The Pro's Closet. Are they going to get cash back, told to pick through the remains of crappy stock? Betting they would have liked to get a little more warning that they were going out of business.
according to that escapecollective article, they were desperately trying to find a buyer to avoid this, so it's not surprising they waited until the last possible minute to announce it. you are right it does suck for people holding credit, and much more so for their employees
Old 09-26-2024, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Look585 View Post
The PE firm has already been paid through underwriting, financing, and management fees. It is the PE Fund Investors (foundations, endowments, pension funds, etc) that will eat any losses.
Privatize benefits; socialize the losses. Or as Goldman's (reportedly) used to say, if your clients made money, you priced it too low!
Old 09-26-2024, 07:18 PM

I've stayed away from this thread for a while, but F@#( the Pro's Closet with a capital F. I bought a supposedly brand new Rocky Mountain Instinct from them back when they were blowing stuff out over the winter. I rode it a handful of times on XC trails until the trails it was meant for here in NYS opened in late May. The Wheelerville bike park in Caroga Lake NY. I took it down Forever Wild a blue trail and got about halfway down before a shrewd metal sound emanated from the rear hub and the chain was thrown into the inside of the chainring where it was revolving with wheel causing damage to the carbon frame. I didn't even make it halfway down the trail and had to walk it out of the woods because it kept doing it.

They charged me an extra fee that was non negotiable for a "Pro Build" when I purchased the bike. I contacted them and they told me to kick rocks as I was passed the allotted one month from my purchase. Mind you it was sold in the winter and the trails it was made for weren't open until May. The "Pro Build" was a joke and the rear hub was trash, but they offered nothing and that was that. I haven't ridden the bike since. I wouldn't even buy from them this time around while they were blowing stuff out! F#($ them!

Last edited by Hilltopperny; 09-26-2024 at 07:31 PM.
Old 09-26-2024, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
I've stayed away from this thread for a while, but F@#( the Pro's Closet with a capital F. I bought a supposedly brand new Rocky Mountain Instinct from them back when they were blowing stuff out over the winter. I rode it a handful of times on XC trails until the trails it was meant for here in NYS opened in late May. The Wheelerville bike park in Caroga Lake NY. I took it down Forever Wild a blue trail and got about halfway down before a shrewd metal sound emanated from the rear hub and the chain was thrown into the inside of the chainring where it was revolving with wheel causing damage to the carbon frame. I didn't even make it halfway down the trail and had to walk it out of the woods because it kept doing it.

They charged me an extra fee that was non negotiable for a "Pro Build" when I purchased the bike. I contacted them and they told me to kick rocks as I was passed the allotted one month from my purchase. Mind you it was sold in the winter and the trails it was made for weren't open until May. The "Pro Build" was a joke and the rear hub was trash, but they offered nothing and that was that. I haven't ridden the bike since. I wouldn't even buy from them this time around while they were blowing stuff out! F#($ them!
I also bought one of those Rocky Mountain Instincts from them. It's been fine for me, but reading up on the bike, lots of people online had problems with those hubs. You should have a warranty claim. It's stupid they wouldn't help you out, but try taking it to a local Rocky Mountain dealer.
Old 09-27-2024, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
I also bought one of those Rocky Mountain Instincts from them. It's been fine for me, but reading up on the bike, lots of people online had problems with those hubs. You should have a warranty claim. It's stupid they wouldn't help you out, but try taking it to a local Rocky Mountain dealer.
100% agree. That Trace hub is a disaster and you might have a shot at a warranty claim through Rocky. They have been solid dealing with the issues from that hub
Old 09-27-2024, 07:01 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metz View Post
I'm sad to see this happen, mostly for the employees, and don't understand all the angst about TPC's market approach. I've bought and sold with them since they were just an eBay vendor and have never had a bad experience. They've always been very helpful and responsive. Sure, they often price incorrectly and lowball but so do folks on PL (and everywhere for that matter). I certainly didn't get upset when they lowballed me or I saw a product that was overpriced - no one was forcing me to buy or sell. I took advantage when it suited me and passed when it didn't. Hopefully there will be better days ahead for bike retailers.
Agree. I've known the original owners for a long time. Their initial idea, to sell 'pro's' stuff and then used stuff on eBay was a great idea and they did very well doing that. Their idea was the same in the place over off Valmont in Boulder.

VERY successful.

BUT they grew VERY fast and were caught in the COVID bike-boom/bust. They bought a bunch of 'last years' new product and got stuck with it.

Great bunch of people working there, sorry to see TPC going under. 'TPC' may re-emerge from all this, maybe get back to their roots..we'll see.
Old 09-27-2024, 11:44 AM

Their business model has a place in our industry for sure. Perhaps with more modest goals someone can fill the gap that's about to open.

Steels are Alloys too!
Old 09-27-2024, 11:51 AM

They're down to 13 bikes total. Crazy how quickly they've drawn it down.
Old 09-27-2024, 12:16 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJMUNC View Post
They're down to 13 bikes total. Crazy how quickly they've drawn it down.
I saw that too and wondered if someone came in and bought a bunch of bikes in one large batch for another business.. they went from several "medium-sized" bikes to only a handful really quick..

and I feel for the TPC folks, I liked the business model and hope they are able to get back to basics a bit..
Old 09-27-2024, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriarQuade View Post
Their business model has a place in our industry for sure. Perhaps with more modest goals someone can fill the gap that's about to open.
https://www.cyclingupgrades.com/

https://buythemojo.com/

https://elevatecycling.com/

https://gearrush.com/

https://www.ebay.com/str/houseofcogs

Among others..
Old 09-27-2024, 12:42 PM

That a good list !

Old 09-27-2024, 01:48 PM

I rode my first century with the owner of House of cogs. Great guy. He gets some really awesome, rare stuff every once in a while.
Old 09-27-2024, 03:18 PM

Bikecloset.com is another good one for me. I've done well with helmet and shoe deals when they have my size. Plus the Builder's Corner (component) deals are great (when things are in stock).
Old 09-28-2024, 06:46 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by adub View Post
In January 2021, TPC moved from its 24,000-square-foot Boulder, Colorado, location to the 137,000-square-foot Louisville facility.

You don't have to have a BComm to see that this was a yuuuge mistake!

137,000 sf facility selling used bikes and overstock, based on the covid boom numbers really?...
TPC wasn't alone in thinking that the COVID Bike Boom was here to stay. MANY big and small retailers, manufacturers, suppliers got bit by this.

I'm not sure is was based on Covid Boom numbers solely. They outgrew their Boulder facility pretty early on, before Covid..
Old 09-28-2024, 05:36 PM

Too many posts, but why not add my thoughts?

I really appreciated that the Pro's Closet existed, but I would probably never have used them.

I enjoy wrenching on bikes. TPC might buy a bike for $1,000, tune it up, replace a few bits, and then sell it for $2,000. If I wanted that bike, I'd look to get it for $1,000 to $1,200 used, and then fix it up myself for a maybe a couple hundred in parts. I get a better deal, and the person who sold me this bike might get a bit more cash.

I can understand why people would want the backing and warranty from the used bike reseller. I have to imagine, though, that people who are cool with buying a used bike are also people who can do tune ups and most basic maintenance. I suppose TPC was trying to show a demographic of non-wrenching cyclists that used bikes could be okay to buy.