Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-26-2024, 12:57 PM

I imagine they’re going to start slashing prices again - a few bikes I’ve been following have jumped back up in pricing. I’ve seen a few closing sales return to original price then cut every day the price down less and less.
Old 09-26-2024, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
(snip)

The PE firms will just write off the losses
The PE firm has already been paid through underwriting, financing, and management fees. It is the PE Fund Investors (foundations, endowments, pension funds, etc) that will eat any losses.
Old 09-26-2024, 01:12 PM

What you're trying to say is this:

“The evil that TPC did lives after them;
The good is oft interred with its bones.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Could not agree more with all of that --

TPC's customer service has always been excellent from my perspective. Maybe it's one of those you-get-what-you-give things. I only wish they would have stayed what they were pre-covid, or reverted to it.. but maybe CyclingUpgrades has to carry that torch now. And BuyTheMojo.. and ElevateCycling. And GearTrade (who's tied to Backcountry so maybe they are dying too..).
Old 09-26-2024, 01:15 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Look585 View Post
The PE firm has already been paid through underwriting, financing, and management fees. It is the PE Fund Investors (foundations, endowments, pension funds, etc) that will eat any losses.
Not really. Private equity partnerships are structured around a portfolio of investments with a certain expected IRR. A certain number of the positions within the portfolio are expected to lost money or even go bust. The investors in whatever upstream Bain VII yada yada fund that invested in TPC will be fine based on the other investments that fund made. If the entire fund is poorly managed, yes, the LPs will lose some money, but it's analogous to a mutual fund investment that a normal person might make - the main difference being that the LP can't just get their money out any time they want to.
Old 09-26-2024, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Could not agree more with all of that --

TPC's customer service has always been excellent from my perspective. Maybe it's one of those you-get-what-you-give things. I only wish they would have stayed what they were pre-covid, or reverted to it.. but maybe CyclingUpgrades has to carry that torch now. And BuyTheMojo.. and ElevateCycling. And GearTrade (who's tied to Backcountry so maybe they are dying too..).
Careful.....you're sharing all the secret honey holes
Old 09-26-2024, 02:18 PM

My order was cancelled. It was a good price for a SR 12sp chain. Oh well.
Old 09-26-2024, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJMUNC View Post
Careful.....you're sharing all the secret honey holes
I could use a few less fishing holes to plumb, tbh.
Old 09-26-2024, 03:14 PM

just got their going out of biz email
Old 09-26-2024, 03:54 PM
Sunshine

How irresponsible of the AngryAsian, right?!**
Old 09-26-2024, 04:00 PM

Did anybody here buy this 61cm Aspero for $4k? I was watching it and waiting for it to dip into the $3,000’s, I was willing to risk a month on the couch but somebody saved me from myself.

https://www.theproscloset.com/produc...bike-2022-61cm
Old 09-26-2024, 04:09 PM
aluminati

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
How irresponsible of the AngryAsian, right?!**
he could probably stand to be more specific with his highly visible platform as a well respected former journalist. not sure why he felt the need to make a victory lap post today either
Old 09-26-2024, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronffs View Post
he could probably stand to be more specific with his highly visible platform as a well respected former journalist. not sure why he felt the need to make a victory lap post today either
I don't think "told ya so" with a frowny face is a victory lap. The Pros Closet could have A LOT more forthcoming in that they were going out of business over the last couple of weeks, instead of this "end of season" sale BS. I have a lot more trepidaton of buying a used bike from an entity going out of business than one that I know is a going concern. And what about those folks who are holding credit at The Pro's Closet. Are they going to get cash back, told to pick through the remains of crappy stock? Betting they would have liked to get a little more warning that they were going out of business.
Old 09-26-2024, 04:38 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaSS View Post
I don't think "told ya so" with a frowny face is a victory lap. The Pros Closet could have A LOT more forthcoming in that they were going out of business over the last couple of weeks, instead of this "end of season" sale BS. I have a lot more trepidaton of buying a used bike from an entity going out of business than one that I know is a going concern. And what about those folks who are holding credit at The Pro's Closet. Are they going to get cash back, told to pick through the remains of crappy stock? Betting they would have liked to get a little more warning that they were going out of business.
Most likely those credit holders will end up as bagholders in the restructuring process. They will definitely be subordinated to any debt holders and will get nothing.
Old 09-26-2024, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB View Post
Most likely those credit holders will end up as bagholders in the restructuring process. They will definitely be subordinated to any debt holders and will get nothing.
I don't think we know that they are actually insolvent. They got significant equity investment a few years ago, and it's possible they decided to pull the plug before going negative. In that case, I believe they would be expected to pay out cash to those with outstanding credits.

Still, I'm sure many of those with outstanding credits might have preferred a heads up, and would have actually liked to use them on bike stuff.
Old 09-26-2024, 04:57 PM

In January 2021, TPC moved from its 24,000-square-foot Boulder, Colorado, location to the 137,000-square-foot Louisville facility.

You don't have to have a BComm to see that this was a yuuuge mistake!

137,000 sf facility selling used bikes and overstock, based on the covid boom numbers really?...

Last edited by adub; 09-26-2024 at 05:48 PM.