Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-24-2024, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GParkes View Post
Just got done re-finishing my wife's Fierte. This is a House of Kolor "Sunset Pearl", which is a near identical match to the original Serotta color "Orancio". The photo is a bit washed, but the color really is bright and eye-catching. I had a Colorado II painted in the "Orancio" about 20 years ago, hence the inspiration. Funny thing about the project is paint really is easy, just a process. However, if you have ever laid up graphics, you'll know how difficult and nerve wracking it is. The graphics are so delicate and tear easily. Full build pick soon.
I missed this…..very nice…..
Old 05-24-2024, 09:21 PM

Right now I have a 1988 Specialized Sirrus in the workstand.

Picked it up last weekend for cheap. This will be another one I refurb and then donate to the local bike collective.

Spent about 5 hours last weekend on just a deep clean and then hand polishing the frame to a nice sheen. Still trying to find the proper teal paint to do some mild touch up on it.

Hubs were opened, degreased and then new bearings and lube. Same for the bottom bracket and the headset.

Spent some time also with metal polish shining up the hubs, and shiny parts of the derailleurs. Also took steel wool to all the spokes to bring back there shine. I decided this morning that the Biopace chainrings had to go despite wanting to keep down how much I put into this one. So I put on some nice polished Dura Ace ones I had on hand and a new chain even though the old one measured ok.

Oh and I also removed the worn Shimano 105 logo's on the crank and gave those a pretty good polish too.

Along the way with this one I pulled the old pink Avocet computer, reflectors, and the old Time pedals.

It's pretty much ready for me to finish, new cables with new white housing, and then new bar tape, probably white also. Then I have to decide on the saddle. Stick with the white one on it or grab something out of my stash.

I think this will be quite another nice one to hand off for them to make some money on.
Old 05-24-2024, 09:28 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
Is that a Feedback Sports arm on someone else's wall mount?
If by someone else's mount you mean an antenna mount I bought off Amazon to save space vs a big floor mount, then yes!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 05-25-2024, 12:52 AM
Randomhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by kppolich View Post
If by someone else's mount you mean an antenna mount I bought off Amazon to save space vs a big floor mount, then yes!
Thanks, that's a good idea. I also need an antenna mount for our land line that is actually a cellphone.
Old 05-25-2024, 10:29 AM

Litespeed Ultimate

I planned to no longer get rim brake bikes. However, I saw the great deal on the dura ace Wheelset on the forum and then found a great deal on the Litespeed frame, so I had to. Don’t mind the mess in my shed.

Old 05-25-2024, 06:15 PM

C50

Found this record group locally and it's a perfect fit for my sad C50 that has been hanging on a wall for years now. I have the full group this is work in progress. Shifters are a bit gunked up and we're running shimano cables. They need love.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20240525_165006~2.jpg (148.8 KB, 326 views)
Old 06-07-2024, 08:37 AM
SageOfMilwaukee

Trying out some fancy Dub Preload spacers from our friends at Kogel on a few bikes today. Quality out of the box is very high!

Old 06-07-2024, 10:38 AM

cool
Old 06-07-2024, 11:13 AM
ZhugeLiang

Sorry, I am usually in such a hurry to complete a bike build that it doesn't stay on the workstand for very long. This one got built just a few days ago and is already put into rotation.

Old 06-07-2024, 11:28 AM

Sorry Weisan, but that build is making the case for internal routing.

Sure, what you have is functional, but it is sort of the dogs breakfast as far as looks.
Old 06-07-2024, 11:38 AM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaSS View Post
Sorry Weisan, but that build is making the case for internal routing.

Sure, what you have is functional, but it is sort of the dogs breakfast as far as looks.
I know, no apology needed, but as soon as I get on the bike and ride it, I quickly forgive all its sins coz' it rides like on clouds, smooth as butt'r.
Old 06-07-2024, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
I know, no apology needed, but as soon as I get on the bike and ride it, I quickly forgive all its sins coz' it rides like on clouds, smooth as butt'r.
Well, as long as you are happy, that is all that matters!

But - maybe consider Sram AXS next time.
Old 06-07-2024, 12:57 PM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaSS View Post
Well, as long as you are happy, that is all that matters!

But - maybe consider Sram AXS next time.
Thank you!

Yes yes, one day I will. It makes a lot of sense for a travel bike.
Old 06-07-2024, 05:01 PM

Today was a lot of minor work.

Started with the Pegoretti I picked up here awhile ago. Ran into a problem putting a seatpost in it. Pegoretti's site says the Duede takes a 30.6 so I ordered one without checking. Yeah, stupid, too big. Got the calipers out and was getting around 29mm, huh? Got a seapost size tool and it said 29.4. Decided to just run one of my 27,2 with a shim so ordered a 27.2 -29.4 shim. The shim fit tightly in the seat tube but the first couple of 27.2 were loose when installed with it, weird. Then I remembered I had an off sized Chorus C.F. seatpost marked as 27.2 but that I could never get to fit in anything. Bingo! It and the shim are a match made in heaven for this bike. Whew problem solved. Then I replaced the tubes inside the tires I had recently mounted on new Zonda wheels for this. One had blown the first night and the other leaked out in another day. Used Vittoria Latex tubes today and all is now fine. They should really make the Veloflex Corsa tires ride nice on this. Now I'm just waiting on a 90mm stem so I can proceed with this one.

Then I went out into the garage to tackle the rear Suntour wheel from off the 1984 Raleigh Prestige. My first attempt at removing the terrible feeling freewheel had resulted in failure. I had it soaking in ATF fluid for about a week. Today It came off easily with just the two prong tool and a crescent wrench with the wheel lying on the bench. That's a win! Opened up the hub, gutted it, degreased everything, new bearings, new lube, and back together. Now the freewheel is just terrible and I have no clue how to open and service it. It is not a Suntour 7 speed New Winner like the bike was spec'd with. Thinking I'll just grab a new Sun Race or Shimano one but have to research that. I've never had a freewheels that I wasn't able to service and put back into use so I really have no clue about the best option for replacing. The current one is seriously bound up and feels like it's turning with gravel inside. Even the soak of over a week did nothing to make it feel any better. But the hub on this feels great now. This wheel is really freaking light without a freewheel on it!

Later on I got down the Krapf bike and did some cleaning and minor maintenance on it and then swapped on some red skewers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0815.jpg (95.1 KB, 181 views)
File Type: jpg 20240607_115548.jpg (153.2 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0813.jpg (99.3 KB, 180 views)
Old 06-07-2024, 08:22 PM

You need a chat with Pastor Bob…