Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-08-2024, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcteague View Post
At this point I find the whole disk vs rim brake argument exhausting. Bikes change... people need to get over it. When I started riding we had friction down tube shifters, pedals with clips and straps, 10 gears etc, etc. Some things the industry came out with died on the vine; Biopace, the Browning transmission? Some were clear improvements and stuck around. I have a rim brake bike and one with disk brakes. The improvement is not monumental but appears enough to relegate rim brakes if not to history then to more of a niche market.

Tim
Agreed. It's even possible that someday the love/hate kerfuffle over Jan Heine and Rene Hearse tires will subside as they win the day. Maybe.
Old 09-08-2024, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
Is this seriously yet another whiny thread about disc brakes? Time to move on. Ride what you like and don’t worry about what others ride.
That would be great, but if you want to buy a new rim brake bike, your choices are severely limited. For many of us, disc brakes are not an improvement; just the opposite in fact.
Old 09-08-2024, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopwalters View Post
old men and clouds.
Some of us can make peace with the clouds. Or at least reach a detente. 4 different clouds, in fact.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=299434
Old 09-08-2024, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
That would be great, but if you want to buy a new rim brake bike, your choices are severely limited. For many of us, disc brakes are not an improvement; just the opposite in fact.
every custom builder offers rim brakes.
the price for a custom frame is similar to a new carbon frameset.
Old 09-08-2024, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
Many have claimed that "what I prefer to buy/use doesn't affect others", but the supplanting of rim brakes by disc brakes is yet more evidence that disproves this claim.
Old 09-08-2024, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluz View Post
Accept that many (most?) custom builders supply their bikes with carbon forks, and carbon rim brake forks have nearly disappeared.
Old 09-08-2024, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluz View Post
That doesn't solve the availability of rim brake component groups.

At this point, I am just yelling at clouds. As the Borg say, "Resistance is futile."
Old 09-08-2024, 09:18 AM

Folks who want rim brake stuff need to start hoarding it. The title of this thread uses the word “industry”, which presumes a profit-driven business model. I guess the for-profit companies choose to move forward.

I am 57 and have been riding for more than 40 years. A discussion with a buddy with a similarly long riding history and the same age led to the conclusion that there really aren’t a ton of new bikes in our future. We know what we like and at our age we’re not just buying stuff to buy the latest and greatest. So folks should get a groupset or two and wheels and whatever else that they hold dear from a generation of their choosing and be ready for a future where that stuff is no longer available.

Campagnolo still has rim-brake stuff available in mechanical shifting and I know Boyd still makes rim brake rims. Get ‘em while you can.

Personally, I mostly look forwards, not backwards.

I did just order a car with a manual transmission and physical controls for HVAC because I know in the future those things may no longer exist.
Old 09-08-2024, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasflyfisher View Post
This thread must be using rim brakes. If it was using discs, it would have stopped by now.
Funny, no doubt.

But probably coming from someone (like many younger riders) who’s never ridden well set up rim brakes.

So these folks actually believe this myth to be true.

Earlier in this thread someone mentioned ride and fork issues. Frequently obscured by the use of big rubber, but forks designed for rim brakes are less burly and do ride better.

Last edited by thwart; 09-08-2024 at 09:31 AM.
Old 09-08-2024, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasflyfisher View Post
This thread must be using rim brakes. If it was using discs, it would have stopped by now.
You don’t often comment, but when you do…
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_1092.jpeg (15.4 KB, 126 views)
Old 09-08-2024, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Folks who want rim brake stuff need to start hoarding it. The title of this thread uses the word “industry”, which presumes a profit-driven business model. I guess the for-profit companies choose to move forward.

I am 57 and have been riding for more than 40 years. A discussion with a buddy with a similarly long riding history and the same age led to the conclusion that there really aren’t a ton of new bikes in our future. We know what we like and at our age we’re not just buying stuff to buy the latest and greatest. So folks should get a groupset or two and wheels and whatever else that they hold dear from a generation of their choosing and be ready for a future where that stuff is no longer available.

Campagnolo still has rim-brake stuff available in mechanical shifting and I know Boyd still makes rim brake rims. Get ‘em while you can.

Personally, I mostly look forwards, not backwards.

I did just order a car with a manual transmission and physical controls for HVAC because I know in the future those things may no longer exist.
Class of ‘85! Still feels like yesterday, doesn’t it?
Old 09-08-2024, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
Class of ‘85! Still feels like yesterday, doesn’t it?
Kinda, but I don’t look back on high school with any fondness. So I’ve got that going for me. I barely remember it.
Old 09-08-2024, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Kinda, but I don’t look back on high school with any fondness. So I’ve got that going for me. I barely remember it.
You and me both brother!
Old 09-08-2024, 09:46 AM

Disc brakes haven’t won…bigger tires have. The benefit for most isn’t the braking, it’s the ability to run larger tires. Faster, more comfortable…what’s not to love? Nobody who is honest can say that riding 22-23mm tires is better or fine.
Old 09-08-2024, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsbeers View Post
Disc brakes haven’t won…bigger tires have. The benefit for most isn’t the braking, it’s the ability to run larger tires. Faster, more comfortable…what’s not to love? Nobody who is honest can say that riding 22-23mm tires is better or fine.
I generally agree, but my old 22mm Veloflex tubulars were butter. I’m off of them now because, like you say, larger tires (with higher volume and wider rim internals) now equal my old 22mm Veloflex in terms of ride quality.

As to rim vs disc, meh….. For my gravel riding with loose surfaces and sharp hills, give me discs every day. For road riding where I live I hardly brake much and when I do I have Dura Ace dual pivots and aluminum rims for great power and modulation. The key here is aluminum rims, which are practically nonexistent on higher end bikes today.

My next road bike will be disc braked and I don’t care. I’m good with this thing called progress.