Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-03-2024, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
This bike may have been shipped to and returned by another would-be buyer before you?
It's a possibility or they had to partially assemble them? I am not entirely sure!

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
Old 08-03-2024, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
Yes, I am keeping the bike and they are sending me the freehub I need for my carbon wheels. I am glad it worked out as I am really liking this bike after today's shakedown ride.

I'm glad you're happy with the outcome, but I can't say I would be. The hub to use your own wheels should be a stopgap to get you rolling until a set of Rapid Red 500's with the proper hub land on your doorstep.
IMO.
I agree that was good that they reached out, but you didn't by a bike without wheels. Unfortunately, that's what you got

HOWEVER....if you're pleased and were planning to trash the wheels anyway, then your being happy is what matters
Old 08-03-2024, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertr View Post
I hope the freehub's value is equal or better than the price delta between the wheels you got and the wheels you paid for!
It's a $200 retail freehub

Old 08-03-2024, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
I'm glad you're happy with the outcome, but I can't say I would be. The hub to use your own wheels should be a stopgap to get you rolling until a set of Rapid Red 500's with the proper hub land on your doorstep.

IMO.

I agree that was good that they reached out, but you didn't by a bike without wheels. Unfortunately, that's what you got

HOWEVER....if you're pleased and were planning to trash the wheels anyway, then your being happy is what matters
My plan was to use them as a second set of wheels. While not ideal it was good enough for me. I really like the bike and how it rides, so I am glad to have a reasonable resolution.

Old 08-03-2024, 08:18 PM

Quote:
My plan was to use them as a second set of wheels. While not ideal it was good enough for me. I really like the bike and how it rides, so I am glad to have a reasonable resolution.

Then enjoy your new ride!
Old 08-03-2024, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
Then enjoy your new ride!
Thanks!

Old 08-03-2024, 10:39 PM

Quote:
The bike is a Pinarello Grevil and the shop is Epic Cycles. Stated wheels were the Fulcrum Rapid Red 500, but they were shipped with 900 series.

According to Epic website, if the bike is on sale, or it is used, or it's been more than 30 days, or you don't have the original receipt, it is not returnable, If the bike was on sale as you stated, Bicycles may be returned for store credit only or exchanged (re-stocking fee may apply). Make sure you read their return policy closely, I didn't list all the details.

The only "out" you have is if you have a printout of the bike detailing the wheels that were supposed to come with the bike, then take him to small claims court, you will win the case there, but to get a lawyer it wouldn't be worth the lawyer's fee to pursue it that way.
Old 08-04-2024, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froze View Post
According to Epic website, if the bike is on sale, or it is used, or it's been more than 30 days, or you don't have the original receipt, it is not returnable, If the bike was on sale as you stated, Bicycles may be returned for store credit only or exchanged (re-stocking fee may apply). Make sure you read their return policy closely, I didn't list all the details.

The only "out" you have is if you have a printout of the bike detailing the wheels that were supposed to come with the bike, then take him to small claims court, you will win the case there, but to get a lawyer it wouldn't be worth the lawyer's fee to pursue it that way.
The owner helped make it right! All is well and good again!

Old 08-04-2024, 05:56 AM

Let's wrap up this thread with a photo of you riding your new Grevil!
Old 08-04-2024, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fignon's barber View Post
Let's wrap up this thread with a photo of you riding your new Grevil!
None of me on the bike, but one from the end of my shakedown ride of the bike! I was too busy having fun to stop and take any others!

Old 08-04-2024, 07:04 AM
ZhugeLiang

Hill pal, I want to commend you for your perseverance, patience and showing restraint in dealing with the situation. And by being reasonable.

Great looking bike, wish I could be there to enjoy a gravel ride with you
Old 08-04-2024, 07:38 AM

Quote:
I have a set of i9 65s that I plan on using, but the Rapid Red 500s it was supposed to come with were a reasonable all around wheelset. They were a 1700ish gram 23 inner width rim and the 900s they shipped with are 1900ish grams with a 19 inner width. There is no disclaimer anywhere about a possible wheel or component change and all the reviews, photos , videos and websites state the 500 as the stock wheelset for this model. The price for the bike was still $3,300 which isn't exactly cheap and I definitely wouldn't have bought the bike with the Rapid Red 900 wheels. There are quite a few retaillers with the same deal on this bike or better, but I had bought a Stumpjumper from Epic Cycles before without an issue.

I have a set of cheap 900's I used when waiting for a wheel set to arrive and a set of Rapid Reds. The Reds are 1000x better. The inner width and the strength of the rim is a major difference between the two. But good to hear things worked out. Great looking bike!

One thing to check is if this company switched out the wheels to save money, they might have also used non campagnolo cables to build the bike up. I have seen several EKAR bikes come with non Campagnolo cables (outer). In some cases, they were Shimano outers.

Last edited by vespasianus; 08-04-2024 at 02:40 PM.
Old 08-05-2024, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopperny View Post
the owner helped make it right! All is well and good again!

Sent from my pixel 6a using tapatalk

nice!!!!
Old 08-06-2024, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespasianus View Post
I have a set of cheap 900's I used when waiting for a wheel set to arrive and a set of Rapid Reds. The Reds are 1000x better. The inner width and the strength of the rim is a major difference between the two. But good to hear things worked out. Great looking bike!

One thing to check is if this company switched out the wheels to save money, they might have also used non campagnolo cables to build the bike up. I have seen several EKAR bikes come with non Campagnolo cables (outer). In some cases, they were Shimano outers.
I definitely wish they would have come with the 500's. The 900's are rideable, but boat anchors and won't likely see any more time once the freehub arrives and I can throw on some lighter aero wheels!

I like the bar/stem combo as well as the seatpost and group the bike came with. I even like the saddle shape, but the manganese rails along with the 900 wheels are sub par for this bicycle. They could have spec'd it a bit nicer considering how nice the frameset and group are.

Old 08-06-2024, 07:56 AM

Quote:
None of me on the bike, but one from the end of my shakedown ride of the bike! I was too busy having fun to stop and take any others!

Very nice bike. Too bad about the drama surrounding the wheels but I think you were smart to demand it be made right if the ad misrepresented reality.

That ride can’t have been too long with no water bottles, but the bike looks nice, especially with the Ekar group. Definitely curious about a longer term report on the Grevil and overall setup once you’ve got a few rides under the belt.