Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-30-2024, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
No. In fact, it can just be a taillight that beeps when a car approaches and beeps faster if the car is bearing down on you if preferred.
That would be nothing but an annoyance for 99% of what I ride.

But I catch what you are saying.
Old 08-31-2024, 06:57 AM

I have had mine since June and really like it, but I have no idea what the button on top does can someone explain to me what it does?, Also how do you access the Peloton and some of those other settings?
Old 08-31-2024, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Honest question, do these aids (radars/computers) represent and encourage distracted riding?
No. However there is the case that it ingrains some different behaviors, that could be problematic if you ever forget to turn back on your Varia (eg. after a rest stop), or ride another bike that doesn't have one.
Old 08-31-2024, 10:31 AM

OK, after reading this I will likely try one. Any thoughts on camera vs no-camera version? Seems most here have the non-camera version
Old 08-31-2024, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by professerr View Post
OK, after reading this I will likely try one. Any thoughts on camera vs no-camera version? Seems most here have the non-camera version
radar works the same.. battery life is longer on no-camera version (granted on camera version you are using the camera) The camera is non-stabilized so footage is meh. Dont expect GoPro like output. If your expectation is for just kind of after the event kind of footage, it's good enough. I think I've only reviewed my footage once of twice. If you expect action cam quality you will be let down.
Old 08-31-2024, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaSS View Post
No. Not at all. I would say it lets you focus on the road ahead when needed and tells you when you need to focus on what is happening behind you.
In some ways that could be what a cell phone user driving a car could say "well I focus on the road when needed" Then the inevitable oops when they were busy looking at a screen & missed a road hazard.

Even more so with a cyclist who could miss a good rock or branch which if unlucky tosses him into the path of cars instead,

I still believe a driver/rider/machine operator should be watching the road but that is just IMHO
Old 08-31-2024, 11:07 AM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by professerr View Post

everything I've read is you can do a LOT better for a camera for about the same money the camera version upgrade would cost.. the only thing you lose is the integration of the two together (must have another piece of tech).. I don't use cameras, so not sure on the go-to for that..
Old 08-31-2024, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourflys View Post
everything I've read is you can do a LOT better for a camera for about the same money the camera version upgrade would cost.. the only thing you lose is the integration of the two together (must have another piece of tech).. I don't use cameras, so not sure on the go-to for that..
I'd love to replace my broken Fly 6 with a rear facing camera that works well enough that I can get a license plate number off it clearly. I haven't read a single product review that really lauds the performance of any of these products, integrated with something else, or stand alone. Open to suggestions!
Old 08-31-2024, 06:10 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by trener1 View Post
I have had mine since June and really like it, but I have no idea what the button on top does can someone explain to me what it does?, Also how do you access the Peloton and some of those other settings?
If you've got the RTL515, the button is on/off (longish press to turn it off), a long press to turn it on will also put it in pairing mode; once on, short presses cycle through different light modes, in this sequence:
- solid bright
- solid less bright
- 'breathing' (solid, cycling in brightness, aka 'peloton' mode)
- flashing
- off (note this also turns off the radar function)

If you have a cycling computer you can turn the light on and off from there; note that this is the only way to turn the light off but retain the radar function. I have a Wahoo and the light control is binary (i.e., just on/off), but I think on a Garmin you may have additional options.
Old 09-01-2024, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trener1 View Post
Really?

All your answers are in the very easy to read instruction booklet. You might have luck using the search feature on the internet to get the same booklet.

Really?
Old 09-01-2024, 06:20 AM
ZhugeLiang

Too many people deny themselves the privilege of happiness, peace and safety by operating on a "All or Nuthin'" principle.

Think of the Varia as just another tool in the tool box you can add to your arsenal.

Don't need to agonize too much over it.

Either get it or don't.

People have spend far more time and money agonizing what they gonna eat for dinner, what's the next gizmo smart phone they gonna get or such trivial matter than purchasing something as simple as a Varia.

I am not advocating that you get a Varia but I am advocating that you get real and live a little.
Old 09-02-2024, 05:36 PM

I've been riding with a mirror attached to my helmet for many years, and I think it works pretty well.

Based on the feedback here, I ordered a Varia to see how it complements my current setup.
I tested it on two rides, and while I don't dislike it, I might not be as enthusiastic as others here.
First, I need to change the position of my iPhone, which I currently have attached to the stem with a QuadLock mount.
To check whether a car is approaching, I have to pull a Froome, which I find too distracting; I need to install it further forward in front of the HB.
Also, this might be user error, but I have not figured out how to enable voice or vibration alerts on my phone.

That said, I constantly need to check my iPhone screen to see if a car is approaching.
I can do this with my mirror in a less distracting way by looking to the left rather than down towards the stem.
One is an eye movement, and the other is a head movement.

For the actual alerts, it would be great to include more detail than just "Car approaching..."
The most important part is to know whether the driver has seen you and moved to the left.
This is exactly what I check with the mirror. I don't care how fast a car approaches me if I am seen.
I guess the form factor is a limitation, but I hope they improve the Varia technology with some intelligence that makes the warnings more meaningful.
This already exists in cars; hopefully, it will be available for devices like the Varia at some point in the near future.

For now, I could live without it as long as I have my mirror.
Old 09-02-2024, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsinill View Post
I've been riding with a mirror attached to my helmet for many years, and I think it works pretty well.

Based on the feedback here, I ordered a Varia to see how it complements my current setup.
I tested it on two rides, and while I don't dislike it, I might not be as enthusiastic as others here.
First, I need to change the position of my iPhone, which I currently have attached to the stem with a QuadLock mount.
To check whether a car is approaching, I have to pull a Froome, which I find too distracting; I need to install it further forward in front of the HB.
Also, this might be user error, but I have not figured out how to enable voice or vibration alerts on my phone.

That said, I constantly need to check my iPhone screen to see if a car is approaching.
I can do this with my mirror in a less distracting way by looking to the left rather than down towards the stem.
One is an eye movement, and the other is a head movement.

For the actual alerts, it would be great to include more detail than just "Car approaching..."
The most important part is to know whether the driver has seen you and moved to the left.
This is exactly what I check with the mirror. I don't care how fast a car approaches me if I am seen.
I guess the form factor is a limitation, but I hope they improve the Varia technology with some intelligence that makes the warnings more meaningful.
This already exists in cars; hopefully, it will be available for devices like the Varia at some point in the near future.

For now, I could live without it as long as I have my mirror.
It seems to me that you have to pay more attention perhaps when the Varia is linked with an iPhone than it is when linked to a GPS, at least a Wahoo Elemnt. It beeps at me, and flashes, and I then look at my mirror - I'm not looking at the GPS unit hardly at all.
Old 09-02-2024, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
I'd love to replace my broken Fly 6 with a rear facing camera that works well enough that I can get a license plate number off it clearly. I haven't read a single product review that really lauds the performance of any of these products, integrated with something else, or stand alone. Open to suggestions!

it's about the same as a fly6 .. sorry for the bad news. Fly6 is very hit miss and the QC was terrible.
Old 09-02-2024, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdntrxi View Post
it's about the same as a fly6 .. sorry for the bad news. Fly6 is very hit miss and the QC was terrible.
Totally agree.
Not sure why this type of product isn't higher quality, when one looks at Go Pro film it is so much better. Is it battery life?