Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-08-2024, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
there's also a reason why the "Ugly (Caucasian) American" tourist stereotype exists in Europe.
I'd say we deserve that one too, most of the time.
Old 10-08-2024, 08:23 AM

An innovator would be doing a piece on South Central !

A few tourist dollars would do wonders for perking up that area.
Old 10-09-2024, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Cat View Post
An innovator would be doing a piece on South Central !

A few tourist dollars would do wonders for perking up that area.
This was a thing back in the early 2010's. I remember the outrage in the Bronx when 'Real Bronx Tours' was running tours through real NY 'Ghettos'. The local representatives didn't take to kindly to the voyeurism. The tourist get a photo and the locals lose their dignity.

As for overtourism, like anything where demand outstrips supply, the locals need to raise access pricing to the point where they get the right number of tourists for their infrastructure. Honestly, I'd put a surcharge on AirBnb and other short term rentals which takes housing supply off the market. Venice should jack the prices for cruise ship entry into the harbor. etc etc. It may crush their local economies, but that is their choice.
Old 10-09-2024, 07:23 AM
Administrator

I just got back from Italia for a couple weeks and what I observed is that the big cities and popular areas are indeed inundated with tourists, but I dont think it's a direct correlation to "TikTok" influencers.

TikTok is still sort of a smaller subset of social media, and singling that out seems to miss the mark. The biggest impact that I observed was the large obnoxious tour groups, mostly of older folks just along for the ride. I refer to them as the "walking dead", just following the leader taking the dime tour, clogging the small streets and sidewalks of euro cities.

I feel like the social media influencer folks are more likely to travel with much smaller groups or even solo and are not as big of an impact or PITA in general.

That said, once you get off the beaten path, into the areas of the country where I actually wanted to go, the tourist crowd is greatly reduced. Everyone wants to see the big landmarks, and it's fun and important to see them, but the real experience is away from the prying eyes of tourism.

Great country, great time of year to be there.

Old 10-09-2024, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
I just got back from Italia for a couple weeks and what I observed is that the big cities and popular areas are indeed inundated with tourists, but I dont think it's a direct correlation to "TikTok" influencers.

TikTok is still sort of a smaller subset of social media, and singling that out seems to miss the mark. The biggest impact that I observed was the large obnoxious tour groups, mostly of older folks just along for the ride. I refer to them as the "walking dead", just following the leader taking the dime tour, clogging the small streets and sidewalks of euro cities.

I feel like the social media influencer folks are more likely to travel with much smaller groups or even solo and are not as big of an impact or PITA in general.

That said, once you get off the beaten path, into the areas of the country where I actually wanted to go, the tourist crowd is greatly reduced. Everyone wants to see the big landmarks, and it's fun and important to see them, but the real experience is away from the prying eyes of tourism.

Great country, great time of year to be there.

Agree with this 100%.

I used to work for the U.S. branch of an Italian company in the early 2000's and made a crazy amount of trips to Italy. We were located ~45 min drive NNW of Milan in the Novara region; very close to Lago d'Orta for those that know their way around that area.

I was able to tour Milan a handful of times in conjunction with working trade shows, and it was a good experience, but even then the number of tourists was crazy IMO - can't imagine what it's like now. Folk from all over the world were there.

My favorite times, though, were staying a little closer to home when co-workers would take me through the local area on a Saturday and go through the old churches and to see other interesting building/sites. Getting to talk to the locals, sometimes with a co-worker interpreting, you get a lot of info you might not in the tourist traps. There is a ton of history in those small towns. Eating dinner with a fellow engineer and his wife/kids/parents, and sometimes spending a weekend day with them, shows you how the "normal" population lives and presents a good opportunity to contrast our lifestyle/status/financials/governments with theirs. It also gives the locals a chance to interact with a foreigner who is not the "ugly American" tourist stereotype. Some of the best, enlightening conversations I've had were over a glass of post-dinner grappa or limoncello.

If I ever go back to Italy, I'll be contacting a few former co-workers and spending the bulk of my time where I can tour and relax, both; away from the TikTok'ers.

Last edited by Red Tornado; 10-09-2024 at 11:10 AM.
Old 10-09-2024, 09:05 AM
slower than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Tornado View Post
Agree with this 100%.

I used to work for the U.S. branch of an Italian company in the early 2000's and made a crazy amount of trips to Italy. We were located ~45 min drive NNW of Milan in the Novara region; very close to Lago d'Orta for those that know their way around that area.

I was able to tour Milan a handful of times in conjunction with working trade shows, and it was a good experience, but even then the number of tourists was crazy IMO - can't imagine what it's like now. Folk from all over the world were there.
My favorite times, though, were staying a little closer to home when co-workers would take me through the local area on a Saturday and go through the old churches and to see other interesting building/sites. Getting to talk to the locals, sometimes with a co-worker interpreting, you get a lot of info you might not in the tourist traps. There is a ton of history in those small towns. Eating dinner with a fellow engineer and his wife/kids/parents, and sometimes spending a weekend day with them, shows you how the "normal" population lives and presents a good opportunity to contrast our lifestyle/status/financials/governments/with theirs. It also gives the locals a chance to interact with a foreigner who is not the "ugly American" tourist stereotype. Some of the best, enlightening conversations I've had were over a glass of post-dinner grappa or limoncello.

If I ever go back to Italy, I'll be contacting a few former co-workers and spending the bulk of my time where I can tour and relax, both; away from the TikTok'ers.

This is a great book about everyday Italy.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...lian_Neighbors

He's written a few others about contemporary life there.
Old 10-09-2024, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Tornado View Post
Agree with this 100%.

My favorite times, though, were staying a little closer to home when co-workers would take me through the local area on a Saturday and go through the old churches and to see other interesting building/sites. Getting to talk to the locals, sometimes with a co-worker interpreting, you get a lot of info you might not in the tourist traps. There is a ton of history in those small towns. Eating dinner with a fellow engineer and his wife/kids/parents, and sometimes spending a weekend day with them, shows you how the "normal" population lives and presents a good opportunity to contrast our lifestyle/status/financials/governments/with theirs. It also gives the locals a chance to interact with a foreigner who is not the "ugly American" tourist stereotype. Some of the best, enlightening conversations I've had were over a glass of post-dinner grappa or limoncello.

That sounds fantastic. I always thought the seeds of a great business idea involved something like this. Eat a home cooked meal made by a local who explains (if language isn’t a barrier) the history of the dish. That same family (or neighbors) gives you a tour of the region. A more sustainable version of AirBnB.
Old 10-09-2024, 09:54 AM

Thumbs down When I travel it's good and purposfull, everyone else is in the way...

Reading this thread reminds me of the drivers who complain about traffic, while sitting in and adding to the traffic.

They're never the problem. It's always the other guy. Haha.

Look in the mirror...
Old 10-09-2024, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
That sounds fantastic. I always thought the seeds of a great business idea involved something like this. Eat a home cooked meal made by a local who explains (if language isn’t a barrier) the history of the dish. That same family (or neighbors) gives you a tour of the region. A more sustainable version of AirBnB.
I did something similar a few years ago - booked a bike tour through thailand, cambodia and vietnam. Most of the riding was through the countryside, ate in restaurants off the beaten path and stayed in small hotels. It was really fantastic, and when we got to ho chi minh city, it was a bit jarring and everything felt like a tourist trap.
Old 10-09-2024, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
Isn't that just a regular bed and breakfast?
Old 10-09-2024, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
Isn't that just a regular bed and breakfast?
Again, it’s just an idea. But I think it would be more involved than a typical B&B. Finding hosts who are well versed in local history and able to share it. More interactive than a BnB and less impersonal than AirBnB. I’m sure something like it already exists.
Old 10-09-2024, 03:50 PM

The real problem with traveling is that the cool places to visit are populated by foreigners
Old 10-09-2024, 05:22 PM

[QUOTE=echappist;3430127
I will grant that Mainland Chinese tourists do exhibit higher than average boorish tendencies.[/QUOTE]

Can you explain the behavior and why they exhibit it?
Old 10-09-2024, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
Can you explain the behavior and why they exhibit it?
People on the thread aren't making this up. Google is your friend. Even NPR has published articles on this subject.
Old 10-09-2024, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlfoss View Post
People on the thread aren't making this up. Google is your friend. Even NPR has published articles on this subject.
I did google this. You’re not kidding.

Tags
enshi*tification