Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-12-2024, 01:03 PM

I am not a big S fan, but I gotta say both of those colors are great!.
Give me some razzle dazzle any day
I especially love the orange/pink one.
Old 06-12-2024, 01:11 PM
Back At It!

Hmm, looks like an aggressive race bike.. maybe that's the point, but it would have been nice to dial back the stack and reach a bit on the aluminum model..

but, there are plenty of other options out there thankfully..
Old 06-12-2024, 01:47 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkle View Post
Interesting. So this would work with a GRX front derailleur? You'd have to run the full housing all the way down the bike like that? I'm trying to imagine how this would look and I'm failing.
I'd say full housing would be a tough 90 degree turn in the BB area with a crank spindle in the way, but I've been wrong before.
Old 06-12-2024, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourflys View Post
Hmm, looks like an aggressive race bike.. maybe that's the point, but it would have been nice to dial back the stack and reach a bit on the aluminum model..

but, there are plenty of other options out there thankfully..
I'm on the other side of this one.

There's an equally strong argument that says that a model is more defined by its geometry and purpose than by the material from which it's made. The geometry of the S-Works level carbon frame is the same as the Pro/Comp/Expert level carbon frame, so with the DSW you have three budget points that cover the same use case on a frame.

Best as you say, thankfully there are plenty of options.
Old 06-12-2024, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kppolich View Post
I'd say full housing would be a tough 90 degree turn in the BB area with a crank spindle in the way, but I've been wrong before.
The DSW Crux manual specifies using Stepped Cable Stop part number S172000004 for front derailleurs that can't use full housing. I haven't been able to find a picture of this part, but I'd image that it is a combination housing stop/cable guide inserted from inside the BB shell. The housing stop portion would be completely inside the BB shell and at an upward angle, with a narrow curved cable guide would emerge from the shell to guide the cable the rest of the way around a curve to point it up at the derailleur. With these types of fittings the housing would likely loop under the BB spindle, and there appears to be enough room in the BB to do this. The actual part may be a little different, but it's likely that there is a way to guide the house/cable around a radius so that the cable doesn't have to take too sharp a bend. I have two other frames that use similar methods to run housing to cable guide in the BB shell, and then run the bar cable out of the shell, without an extreme bend in the cable.

Last edited by Mark McM; 06-12-2024 at 02:12 PM.
Old 06-12-2024, 02:48 PM

Pages 11-12 of the 2025 Crux manual shows this: https://media.specialized.com/suppor...AL_ENGLISH.pdf

Quote:
ROUTE THE FRONT DERAILLEUR HOUSING:
Install full-length housing to the front derailleur (blue line). Feed the housing through the drive side ICR port, down the down tube, under the bottom bracket, then out of the hole above and behind the BB. Internal routing kit and magnets are helpful.

If you choose to install a dropper post, route the dropper housing down to the bottom bracket and up the seat tube above the bottom bracket shell.

For front derailleurs not compatible with full-length housing, use the stepped cable stop (S172000004) in the hole above and behind the BB.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg crux-alu-dsw-front-derailleur.jpg (59.7 KB, 280 views)
Old 06-12-2024, 02:56 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

Lovely diagram, thanks for sharing the link also.
Old 06-12-2024, 02:58 PM

Question for the retailers here.

If I pre-order the best option appears to be to have the frame delivered to a local Specialized dealership. There’s a $50 cost for this. I’m OK with that so I’m not asking about it per se.

Obviously, the dealership would rather have me order with them but online is so much easier and I really don’t enjoy the interaction at stores where I have to often guide them because they’re not always up to speed on what came out yesterday. I’ve had this with my local Specialized store. The guy didn’t really know the product line very well and was way more interested in pointing me at a bike I didn’t want but that he had in stock than discussing a special order of one I was actually interested in.

Does the $50 compensate the dealership for being a delivery locale for me? What’s the deal for the dealer when I order online?

Thanks
Old 06-12-2024, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpoke View Post
Pages 11-12 of the 2025 Crux manual shows this: https://media.specialized.com/suppor...AL_ENGLISH.pdf
Actually, it doesn't show it. The diagram only shows full length housing. The text references using Stepped Cable Stop S17200004 for derailleurs that can't use full length housing, but it does not show or explain how this part is used.
Old 06-12-2024, 03:46 PM
mentholated

https://rolsted-viborg.dk/vare/speci...-ferrule-stop/
it looks like this so i would assume it fits into the front der hole inside the frame.
Old 06-12-2024, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTHBROOKS View Post
https://rolsted-viborg.dk/vare/speci...-ferrule-stop/
it looks like this so i would assume it fits into the front der hole inside the frame.
That's a step-down ferrule, typically used on brazed-on chainstay stops on metal frames. This won't work for the housing hole in the back of the DSW Crux BB. For a hole in the back of the BB, the Stepped Cable Stop will need allow the housing to be stopped at an upward angle, and then continue the cable at a radius toward the derailleur. It will more likely look like a cross between these two Specialized cable stops/guides:

Last edited by Mark McM; 06-12-2024 at 04:19 PM.
Old 06-12-2024, 04:24 PM
mentholated

that step down i linked is what comes up when you google that part number from a few posts back. that stuff you posted a pic of is for the front of the headtube. with the exception of the rubber boot that goes over the front der cable when it exits behind the seattube to keep dirt and whatever else out.

Last edited by GOTHBROOKS; 06-12-2024 at 04:26 PM.
Old 06-12-2024, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTHBROOKS View Post
that step down i linked is what comes up when you google that part number from a few posts back. that stuff you posted a pic of is for the front of the headtube. with the exception of the rubber boot that goes over the front der cable when it exits behind the seattube to keep dirt and whatever else out.
That can't, or at least better not be, the S172000004 Stepped Cable stop. If nothing else, the metal step down ferrule shown isn't much larger in diameter than the housing, and would just slip through the hole in the BB (which has to be big enough to allow the housing to pass through). I didn't say the photos I posted was the S172000004, I just said that it should will have some of the features that of the parts in the photos. The DSW Crux is so new, that the S172000004 Stepped Cable Stop may not be in the supply chain yet.
Old 06-12-2024, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
That can't, or at least better not be, the S172000004 Stepped Cable stop. If nothing else, the metal step down ferrule shown isn't much larger in diameter than the housing, and would just slip through the hole in the BB (which has to be big enough to allow the housing to pass through). I didn't say the photos I posted was the S172000004, I just said that it should will have some of the features that of the parts in the photos. The DSW Crux is so new, that the S172000004 Stepped Cable Stop may not be in the supply chain yet.
When you envision how this part would or would not work, how far into that cable stop do you imagine the housing goes?
Old 06-12-2024, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
Actually, it doesn't show it. The diagram only shows full length housing. The text references using Stepped Cable Stop S17200004 for derailleurs that can't use full length housing, but it does not show or explain how this part is used.
If its anything like my older carbon crux, its a small curved plastic piece that routes the cable up out of the BB. Once you have it in hand its pretty easy to see how it fits in.