Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-15-2023, 07:16 PM

didnt cross the cables under the downtube, how come?
Old 11-15-2023, 08:19 PM

Talking Nice build.

Baron, that looks sweet. Use it well.
Old 11-16-2023, 05:13 AM

Looks like the fork and the seatstay bridge are designed for maximum clearance. Smart design and fabrication by Ritchey.
Old 11-16-2023, 11:48 AM

This came today

IMG_0556
by Morris, on Flickr

IMG_0568
by Morris, on Flickr

IMG_0567
by Morris, on Flickr

Looking forward to building this up. Gonna be mostly campagnolo centaur for mine.

Turns out the cable stops on my top tube are not where Barons are. They are lower down. Different builders and their preferences? Looking from the rear towards the head tube maybe 8 o'clock position?
Old 11-16-2023, 01:36 PM

These look fantastic. If I were in the market for a new rim brake road bike, I would start here. The red and pink look great together.
Old 11-16-2023, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Blubba View Post
Looks a whoooole lot better in real life! The red and pink complement each other wonderfully. Built as is with XT pedals, plastic Supafly, cages, simple no frills Sram out front mounts: 17 lbs, 9 oz.
First ride of 50ish miles tomorrow morning. Then an epic on Friday.

[IMG]Untitled by Michael Lock, on Flickr[/IMG]

Looks great Mike!
Old 11-16-2023, 03:43 PM
Vendor

I did think the cable position on mine was weird. Aesthetically it looks a little off, coming in right above the word Logic. I will inquire with Ritchey about the inconsistency. I don’t mind though. The kind of thing you see once and never notice again.
Old 11-16-2023, 04:34 PM

Looks awesome! Two small things (personal preference, really):

- I would put some clear tape on the head tube so the housing doesn't rub the paint off.
- I would route the front brake housing behind the other housing; looks cleaner that way.

Enjoy your new bike!
Old 11-16-2023, 08:23 PM

Nice! The Dura Ace group and wheelset is perfect on that build.

I just bought a Logic (disc, don’t kick me out) with the ultegra group and am very happy with it. The geometry feels ‘right’, and the frame is great out of saddle, just spinning over chip seal and on descents.

-Jeff
Old 11-16-2023, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by picstloup View Post
Turns out the cable stops on my top tube are not where Barons are. They are lower down. Different builders and their preferences? Looking from the rear towards the head tube maybe 8 o'clock position?
from the images I've seen, frame size 53 and below have it up high and 55 and above have it similar to yours.
Old 11-17-2023, 01:17 PM
Vendor

Took it for a 52 mile ride on mostly flat terrain (1700 feet) with a couple of friends yesterday. Took it out again today for a real test ride: Solo, 63ish miles, 6000+ feet. One big 4.5 mile climb. A few 2 mile climbs. A few long bomb descents. A sweet stretch of 3 miles at -2% where you feel like superman cuz you can't really see the downward gradient but can go very fast for very cheap. Endless twisty rollers to die for (or which will kill you, depending on your attitude and level of fatigue on any given day) on everything from perfect pavement to cracked broken holier-than-Jesus pavement.

Yesterday's ride: I refuse to take any credit for the bike holding up just fine alongside an S-Works SL7 and a Giant TCR SL 0. My body was fried (lots of long driving the day before, not much sleep, and I ride too much in general to be awesome-on-demand), but at no point did I think 'man, this isn't enough bike for a ride like this!'. If you can't keep up with your pals on a decently attired Ritchey Logic, it's you, not the bike.

Today: This was the real test ride. These be my thoughts...

With 25mm tires on 19mm internally wide Dura Ace C24 9000 rims, this bike is **PLAYFUL**. That's the word that was going through my head the whole time: Playful. Frisky. It wants to have fun! The faster you go, the more fun it gets. On rollers? Oh my goodness. The best rollercoaster I've ever ridden, and I grew up 15 minutes away from the biggest coaster park in the world, with a season pass for many a-summer of my youth.

Drills it going uphill, both seated and standing. Man, the seated to standing transition is **satisfying**.

Going downhill: I have ridden sharper handling bikes (by a very slight margin) and I have ridden more stable bikes. But I've never ridden a bike that was this sharp and this stable. Or maybe I should replace, or at least temper, 'stable' with 'confident'. Because like I said, this bike is PLAYFUL and 'stableness' in a bike is often achieved at the expense of playfulness. Absolutely not the case here. The Ritchey Logic seems to have 97% of the scalpel turn-and-re-turn capability of my TCR SL 0, compounded with a 110% factor of planted confidence. Exciting? Heck yeah! Scary? Never!
And, the faster you go, the better the textures of the road feel underneath you.

Stiffness? Look, I'm 136 - 140 lbs in the morning, depending on yesterday's ice cream and transit time schedule, so I'm not going to be able to claim to have put this bike to the same kind of extreme wattage testing that others might be able to. But, having ridden a lot of bikes renowned for their stiffness (aforementioned TCR, for one), I can say that the return on investment for your efforts is absolutely there with the Ritchey. It *feels* different, because the materials processing your energy are different, but it feels *good* and it feels *efficient* and effective and it makes me feel strong when I stand up and smash over the other side of a steep pair of rollers.

Comfort? With 25mm tires (measuring as such, too), I obviously didn't intend for this to feel like an endurance bike, and it doesn't. In some ways it feels smoother than a good carbon bike, and then there are other bumps and vibrations that a good carbon bike will devour before they reach your touch points which the Ritchey maybe nibbles on before passing the leftover vibrations on to the rider. So I definitely sacrificed 'smooth comfort' for the playfulness and road feel that *I* desire out of a pure road bike.
I would not purchase a Road Logic thinking it was going to be as comfy as a carbon endurance bike, but I do think that with 30mm tubeless tires, which this new version happily accepts, it could be a smooth enough ride for most people.

Fit: I am 5'11" and opted for the size 53 after consulting with Ritchey, the senior fitter at my bike shop, and with the very helpful folks on this forum. I have 15mm of spacers under the 110mm stem. The saddle height is ~75cm from top of saddle to center of crankbolt. The seatpost has 15mm of offset, and I have the saddle just a couple of mm's back from the center. This feels like a mid-race fit to me --not hyper aggressive, but definitely leaning toward the race side of the spectrum. The frame feels small --looking at it, it is definitely the smallest frame I've ever ridden-- but the fit is excellent.
That said, I could easily have sized up to a 55 and been very comfortable, and for folks seeking a more relaxed position I definitely would do so.
***HOWEVER***
I am running a 53 with a 110mm stem, and the front still feels very nimble. Not twitchy at all, but nimble, like a pure race bike. Putting a shorter stem on this bike would probably change that characteristic of 'nimble' to 'twitchy' pretty quickly. So if sizing up, be careful not to fall victim to the 'I'll achieve less drop on a larger frame and compensate for the longer reach by using a shorter stem'' mistake. There are folks at Paceline and probably at your local bike shop who could discuss this more accurately and scientifically than I can, but the thought occurred to me so I'm passing it on here.

In a nutshell: Both the mechanic who built and test rode the bike and myself both had the same thought, independently (which is pretty neat!): This bike rides like a steel Giant TCR. It's soooo reactive, so much fun, can go really gosh darn fast, and feels so pure. It's the kind of bike that inspires thoughts like 'if you enjoy riding a bike, you'll love riding this one.'

I'm very very happy with it and can't wait to go out again tomorrow...or later today?

Get it if you want a fun fast bike.
Don't get it if you want an endurance bike.
Don't get it to replace your carbon bike, but do get it if you like to taste different flavors of bike feelings on different days.

Solid 10/10 from me!
Old 11-17-2023, 03:20 PM

I’ve been eyeing these new road logic frames because of the extra tire clearance ! Would love to build me one with with 30-32’s!
Old 11-17-2023, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Blubba View Post
Took it for a 52 mile ride on mostly flat terrain (1700 feet) with a couple of friends yesterday. Took it out again today for a real test ride: Solo, 63ish miles, 6000+ feet.

Stiffness? Look, I'm 136 - 140 lbs in the morning, depending on yesterday's ice cream and transit time schedule,

I'm very very happy with it and can't wait to go out again tomorrow...or later today?

Get it if you want a fun fast bike.
Don't get it if you want an endurance bike.
Don't get it to replace your carbon bike, but do get it if you like to taste different flavors of bike feelings on different days.

Solid 10/10 from me!
(Excellent Review snipped a bit to save space)

That was a great review thanks! I had wondered about these for years & your finished weight turned out quite nice too given no real weight weenie attempts

I had to laugh at your weight very close to mine but with your forum name

Thanks again for a great review & I think that turned out beautifully! I dont often change bikes maybe once in 5-10 years & only ever have just one bike at a time but this one might be a changer
Old 11-18-2023, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggdave View Post
from the images I've seen, frame size 53 and below have it up high and 55 and above have it similar to yours.
This is correct!
Old 11-24-2023, 03:29 AM

Road Logic in Germany

I really appreciate this thread and currently on the fence between this and a Fairlight Strael. In case anyone happens to live in northern Germany, there's a gentleman selling a Road Logic rim 50th anniversary that he built up with Campy Record for only 4k euros with less than 100km. Unfortunately it's a 7-hour drive from me and don't have the time to go. If this happens to be logistically feasible for anyone here, the ad is posted on the kleinanzeigen app (think ebay's craigslist). Not sure if posting direct links is allowed here.
Edit: 53cm

Last edited by jasonthelee; 11-24-2023 at 03:32 AM.