Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-30-2024, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadmt View Post
when we built our house and were picking out appliances I remember asking the appliance salesman who made the best washers and he said without a doubt SpeedQueen...He said the nothing compared to them but they did not sell well because they were too basic. He said people want a bunch of features that they actually never end up using and all have mother boards that fail within 3-5 years at best. I tried to get my wife to go with SpeedQueen but nope had to have all those silly features....
Yup. They call them washing MACHINES for a reason.
Old 05-30-2024, 12:58 PM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadmt View Post
when we built our house and were picking out appliances I remember asking the appliance salesman who made the best washers and he said without a doubt SpeedQueen...He said the nothing compared to them but they did not sell well because they were too basic. He said people want a bunch of features that they actually never end up using and all have mother boards that fail within 3-5 years at best. I tried to get my wife to go with SpeedQueen but nope had to have all those silly features....
Just wondering who does the laundry at your house?

My wife is a stay at home mom. She picks whatever appliance she wants. WiFi, 20,000 wash modes with catchy melodies, and whatever else she “needs.” I really don’t care if I have to buy it every 3 years. As long as the user is happy, I’m good. “Silly” for some may make the chore “tolerable” for others. Especially ones that use it regularly.
If she wanted a front loader, I’d buy it right away.
Old 05-30-2024, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguy00 View Post
Good choice.

And, when it comes to appliances in general, Samsung should be avoided like the plague!!!
Good TVs though.
Old 05-30-2024, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguy00 View Post
Good choice.

And, when it comes to appliances in general, Samsung should be avoided like the plague!!!
Agreed. I had a Samsung front loading washer and gas dryer. Both didn't last as long as I would have liked. Stainless steel drum cracked in the dryer. Mildew smell in the washer. Lack of capacity too in the front loader washer vs. a top loader.
Old 09-19-2024, 07:31 PM

Well our washer finally died, had been sounding like a freight train since march. Too expensive to fix.
Probably going to get a LG. Figured I would bump this up, and see if anyone that got one recently has any regrets.
Old 09-19-2024, 07:40 PM

We actually ended up buying one in May, got a Electrolux front loader, so far so good, it seems to wash clothes very well, and with 2 kids we run it ALLOT!.
Old 09-19-2024, 07:54 PM

The top loading Whirlpool from the 90's that came with the house we bought a few years ago recently died. The gas Maytag dryer from the 80's was still going strong, but with a laundry room renovation in progress it was going to look really dated, so we bought a matching LG set with a front-loading washer. The cheapest model Home Depot had - about $650 each. I think we actually had this same set or darn near it in our last house. We had front-loaders there and they each lasted about 10 years or so which I'm good with for the price. My wife and I both find that a front loader is quite a bit easier to use, especially with large loads than a top loader so that ultimately swayed our decision.
Old 09-19-2024, 08:34 PM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtb_frk View Post
Probably going to get a LG. Figured I would bump this up, and see if anyone that got one recently has any regrets.
The LG that we bought in March (see post #54) is still working fine, so no regrets. Of course, 6 months isn't much to rave about...
Old 09-19-2024, 08:41 PM

LG front load washer and dryer here as well. Nary an issue since installed (Feb '22).
Old 09-20-2024, 07:08 AM

We like LG as a brand - recently bought all new kitchen appliances. But for washers, I still think old fashion top loaders w/ agitator, like the speed queen or similar washers from Maytag, are by far the best. We always hated our front load washers we briefly had. Probs with mold even with keeping the door open and using not too much soap. Clothes not coming out clean because of the 'energy efficient' low amount of water used, etc etc...
Old 09-20-2024, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wunder View Post
I've been happy with LG front load washers. Work well and I've had no reliability issues.
We have had the same experience with LG front-loader.
Old 09-20-2024, 04:41 PM

OP - you haven't mentioned what kind of challenging laundry loads you might be doing.

My problematic item is a king size comforter. There isn't a top loader big enough to move it well enough to get the whole thing cleaned. That issue is true for both the Speed Queen style with the center agitator as well as the more modern top loaders that don't have that center column. They move little items like shirts and socks fine, but put a huge comforter in there and the cleaning motion for the comforter just doesn't happen.

So 13 years ago I bought the biggest front loader which happened to be the top of the line LG. It cleans the whole comforter due to the different way the clothes move.

The other thing not mentioned: my washer has a heating element. So if you really want to get your clothes cleaned, use that heating cycle. I don't know which makes/models include that feature. Just something to think about.

Somebody on another forum said "front loaders can't presoak". Well, mine has that setting, so some front loaders do.

I was able to work with an architect when designing my home, the washer is in a corner so the door is always left open when not in use. It would be aggravating to deal with that otherwise IMO.
Old 09-20-2024, 05:55 PM

With top-loaders, it seems really important to have either a clear lid or a door that can be modified to let you look in without the agitation suddenly stopping.
It's become a bit more challenging over the years to make this happen, since they don't want someone getting their arm twisted off during a spin cycle (when I might want to use the sink sprayer to add rinse water following a soap-heavy cleaning cycle of work clothes).

Sometimes, especially when any kind of jeans or cotton trousers are in a possibly-overloaded top-loader, the bigger items don't agitate as intended, with some of the clothing left more or less floating on the top of the load. I recall one rider in our peloton on a hot day, whose shorts obviously hadn't been rinsed free of soap, so started foaming up as the ride went on, really one of the funniest things you could imagine. I pictured his washing machine, perhaps loaded with bulky items, his soap-soaked shorts left floating on the rinse water.

So for me, it's sort of full-manual like mine or maybe get a front-loader where no clothes can hang there floating on top. I have a waterproof yard stick that I sometimes use to assist the sort of rotating torroidal flow of water and clothing that the traditional agitator top-loader depends on. Flow direction is down in the center and up along the outside of the drum, magical to watch when it's working within it's capacity limits, not so much when the agitator beats angrily against slow- or non-moving clothing!
A larger top-loader is going to handle such large items as denim jeans a lot better than a smaller machine, and full loads also leave the clothing on top with a lot less circulating force to enter said torroidal spin.

My gas drier is a glass-doored large machine that I bought for $100 at Salvation Army when I bought my house ten years ago. It had failing gas solenoids that were inexpensive to buy but a real bear to diagnose and install. The machine performs inefficiently at this later point in time, suggestive of air leaks at the door seal, and the drum bushings have become noisy. But it has the look of an expensive machine so I've hung onto it.
Old 09-20-2024, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtb_frk View Post
Well our washer finally died, had been sounding like a freight train since march. Too expensive to fix.
It must be the season--after bragging about the great service we had from our 20 year old Whirlpool Duet front loader, it also died recently.

Following youtubes, I started by replacing the 'shock absorbers' that steady the drum. Then came the big disassembly, thinking it was the bearings on which the drum spins, only to find that what we have is a cracked 'spyder' (the drum backing piece).

Apparently this is a known problem--the drum is stainless, the spyder is aluminum alloy/pot metal, and soapy water can act as an electrolyte--so guess what happens--dissimilar metals. The thing has basically crumbled...
(There's an intense thread on Reddit about the problem--apparently all the front loaders (except Miele) have had similar problems.) https://www.reddit.com/r/BuyItForLif..._shaft_spider/

All is not lost yet--ours was sold with a lifetime warranty on the drum, so I'm waiting to see if they can supply the replacement part. (I will have to replace one other part that got chewed up in the process...)

Still though 20 years on an energy efficient, low water consumption (important for those of us with wells) seems pretty good service to me. I would never go back to a top loader FWIW.

Last edited by paredown; 09-20-2024 at 06:25 PM.
Old 09-20-2024, 06:16 PM

I guess I'll weigh on the Paceline hot topic of the month!

We inherited an LG front loading washing machine. The seal/gasket is discolored and if we leave a dark load in and forget about it, it stinks. We use bleach with whites and it's no problem. I think the drum bearing is about shot and it can shake a lot, but...our family of six have been using it constantly for 7+ years without it needing repair. I'm guessing it's ~15yrs old now? Makes we want to replace it with a like model. Our drier is older (also inherited) and has three settings: hot, hotter, hottest, and it's worked great.