Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-22-2024, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
Many years ago when I had a racing license, there was a spring criterium series on Sundays.

I would ride my bike the 15 miles to the race, race my category, and ride home.

So it was April 1st, I kid you not, and I'm returning home after the race, about 2 miles from home.

As I ride by a pay phone (yeah; it was that long ago!) I hear the thing ringing, and ringing, and ringing.

Oh what the heck, I'll turn around and answer it.

The conversation went something like this:

Me: Hello?

Some guy: Who's this?

Me: Just somebody who was riding by, heard the phone ring, and decided to answer it.

Some guy: Riding by?

Me: Yeah, I was riding my bike.

Some guy: How far?

Me: About 30 miles.

Some guy: Your legs must be tired. Would you like them massaged?

Me: Click.

That is so funny.
Old 08-22-2024, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
What kind of limousine was the bull driving?
I was thinking "2800 lbs limo would be a tiny limo, what's he talking about?"
Old 08-22-2024, 08:56 AM
Shifty Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendRider View Post
I was riding home from a group ride with a friend. We stopped at a light next to a car full of cute girls - one hangs out of the window and yells “nice legs!” My friend said “thank you” and she replied,”not you - him!” while pointing at me.
Similar for me. I was doing threshold intervals over rollers so had to stand up on the ups to maintain the power. A convertible slowed down on one of my stands and the woman closest to me said "nice ass" just loud enough for me to hear and then continued on their way. Either way it was a good motivator and they enjoyed my waggle in response.

Otherwise, there was the time that I heard a clunk clunk while standing followed by a rather unpleasant unadorned seatpost while sitting back down. Found the seat, but none of the hardware for some reason so did the rest of my ride home standing up.

An honorable mention would be at D2R2 some years ago when near the top of Hawks road. Had to stop so that a herd of cows could go past. Got quite a few sniffs and even a lick from one of them.
Old 08-22-2024, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg21 View Post
I was riding outside of Winooski many years ago after I finished at UVM with a with a college friend who had become a Navy Seal (now long retired). A kid in an old light blue Mustang convertible threw an Apple that hit my friend in the back of the head. As we rode into Winooski a few minutes later, the car was stopped at a traffic light. The kid who was driving pissed his pants when my friend lifted the kid out of the car by the neck.
A racer in the area disappeared from the scene for a while. I heard somewhere that he'd moved away. Then he reappeared, so I figured he moved back.

Learned later that he had been in prison. Apparently, while he was training, he pulled a driver out of their car through the driver side window and pummeled him.

Very nice guy. I only met him after he "moved back into the area".
Old 08-22-2024, 09:14 AM

Was on a training ride with a bunch of teammates at school. I ended up ahead of them somehow, probably sprinting after a truck or something. At any rate, riding on a somewhat busy road (Route 320?, heading south from Brimfield MA to Storrs CT), I saw a large piece of clear plastic sheeting on the shoulder of the road, pretty much blocking the whole shoulder. Think "plastic drop sheet" that you might buy at a Home Depot or something. it was bundled up, maybe 3 feet high, sort of square shaped blob of translucent stuff.

I thought it would be fun to just ride through it, but then thought about plastic getting caught in my derailleur, so I decided not to, and rolled by next to it.

Then I realized it wasn't plastic. I could feel cold. So I checked it.

It was a gigantic cube of ice. I have no idea what people use a 3 foot block of ice for, but this one ended up on the road.

I put my bike against it and made sure no one in the group ran into it. Of course they all stopped and we were checking it out.

We tried to move it but we couldn't, it was too heavy. We left it there. Long before the age of mobile phones. In fact, it was before internet was common, and before PCs were common.

I did have an almost run in with someone back in the day. I was in school so based on that I weighed maybe 110 lbs, scrawny. Story of the "tattooed arm"
Old 08-22-2024, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpediemracing View Post
Was on a training ride .... Story of the "tattooed arm"
Great story!
Old 08-22-2024, 09:55 PM

Was chillin riding to the trailhead at South Mountain in Phoenix. Hear a loud crash nearby. Guy crashed hard into a large hole in a concrete wash frequently used to ride down to the road. Was completely out, I thought he was dead. Of course the one day I forget my phone. Bang on nearby house door, convinced them I’m not nuts and to call 911. Guy comes to after being out a few minutes. Paramedics arrive I tell them what happened and go on my ride, startled of course. Guy tracks me down with Strava flyby a few months later (leaves a message on my ride) and calls to say thanks and ask me what happened and talk about his recovery.
Old 08-22-2024, 10:20 PM

On a training ride when I was in college right after "Breaking Away" was released. At a stop sign, a truck pulled up beside me pulling a trailer. Motorpacing, yeah. Once I hit 25-30 I was blasted with a horrible odor, bits of hay, liquid and who knows what. It was an empty but not clean cattle trailer. YUCK!
Old 08-23-2024, 12:10 AM

Riding through a small town in rural Indiana, I hear somebody yelling as I climb a small hill. Looking around, I realize it's a guy yelling at me out the window of a parked pickup truck. I ignored him, figuring redneck nonsense.

Then I realized what he was saying: "Git er done Git er done Git er done!"

That's Hoosier for "Allez Allez". It was grand.

Last edited by downtube42; 08-23-2024 at 12:12 AM.
Old 08-23-2024, 01:51 AM

Early in my cycling days I was doing an evening ride here in Seattle. To orient those who know the area, I was headed north on Lake Washington Boulevard just south of Leschi. I had met another rider headed the same way. I didn't know him, but we were chatting while riding side-by-side. Suddenly, the door of a parked Cadillac opens. In an instant, this guy went from riding alongside me to doing a somersault through the air alongside me. He went over the door -- thank God it was a hardtop with frameless door windows, and that the window was down. He landed hard on his ass. He was shook up but OK, his bike less so. It was a vivid lesson in remembering to ride just out of door range, that I never forgot.
Old 08-23-2024, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtube42 View Post
Riding through a small town in rural Indiana, I hear somebody yelling as I climb a small hill. Looking around, I realize it's a guy yelling at me out the window of a parked pickup truck. I ignored him, figuring redneck nonsense.

Then I realized what he was saying: "Git er done Git er done Git er done!"

That's Hoosier for "Allez Allez". It was grand.

Having grown up in rural IN, riding there for years, and still riding there when I visit friends and my in-laws this does not surprise me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-23-2024, 11:38 AM
commuter racer

I was stopped at a stop sign and a lady in a car yelled out her window to me, "you know you look like Owen Wilson".
Old 08-23-2024, 03:44 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinomaster View Post
I was stopped at a stop sign and a lady in a car yelled out her window to me, "you know you look like Owen Wilson".
At least she didn't say Brian Wilson, that would have been a sick burn.
Old 08-23-2024, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter p. View Post
great story!
+1!
Old 08-23-2024, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
What kind of limousine was the bull driving?
Dontcha just love auto correct?