Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-02-2024, 12:09 PM
Randomhead

14 plugs does not sound like a problem related to the tire construction to me, it sounds like the tire got cut. I have tires sold by other brands that aren't particularly resistant to large sharp objects.

Since we're blaming Jan for problems with Panaracers, I have some 650b x 47 GK SK that are just a little too loose to seal easily. It surprised me, because I never had problems with 700c GK I have had. But I have some Maxxis that 700c that are a real pain to get sealed. Sometimes I wonder if riding those tires is really safe, but I haven't had any problems with them once I got them to seal. I feel like the 650b GK are fine, but it would be nice if they were easier to get to seal.

Last edited by unterhausen; 06-02-2024 at 12:13 PM.
Old 06-02-2024, 01:01 PM

I’ve never ridden RH tires so I can’t comment to their quality however I believe that Ted King has raced them for years (tubeless) with no major issues from what I’ve seen
Old 06-02-2024, 01:25 PM

14 plugs. They need some kind of prize for finishing a race that hard with that much trouble. That’s absolutely insane he had the determination to fight through that!

Almost worth talking about the same way as the old story about the guy in the TdF who stopped at a forge and fixed something on his fork.
Old 06-02-2024, 02:01 PM

Super late to this party, but this post reminds me of the time a few years ago when one of my friends showed up to a group ride on his gravel bike with some shiny new Rene herse tires. No clue the model or size. We were getting ready to roll out and “BAM!!!”

The tire blew completely off the rim. We all laughed about it, once we realized none of us had been shot, he loaded up his bike, and we went on a ride.
Old 06-02-2024, 02:07 PM

I've used plenty of RH tires (32, 35, 42) and haven't experienced any of these issues... sorry about that, perhaps you got a faulty pair?

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg21 View Post
After reading all the hype on this forum about Rene Herse tires, I thought I’d try them and I ordered a pair of the Manatash Ridge 700cc x 44 tires gravel tires with the black endurance casing. No tire is good enough to warrant the level of frustration these have caused.

I’ve tried everything and I cannot get them to seat. My tape is good and I cleaned the beds and rims of all the old sealant. I tried soapy water, the strap method using an old inner tube, installing them with a tube to seat one side of the tire, and adding a little sealant, which ended up all over my work bench. I finally gave up after a few hours and went to my LBS. The shop owner spent 1/2 an hour, gave up, and suggested I think about different tires. I don’t know what you all are talking about.

If anyone wants a new set of tires, never used, but not in the OEM packaging, and one with a little sealant on it, please let me know. These are available and I’d be happy sell them for less than I paid just to never look at them again.

Last edited by s4life; 06-02-2024 at 02:11 PM.
Old 06-02-2024, 03:21 PM

I've been using Rene Herse tires on my road bike and all-road bike for a number of years. I've never had any issues with them and they were only replaced when I wore them out.

I've run my road bike with tubes and my all-road bike tubeless and I've never flatted one. I did get a thorn puncture on my tubeless set up once and the orange goo took care of it and I was able to ride it home no problem.

I've been using them on HED and Hunt wheels and the fit seems ideal. I wonder if sometimes tolerance stack becomes an issue with loose fitting tires that won't seal and/or blow off?

dave
Old 06-02-2024, 03:36 PM
Byron

Perhaps Jeff the cyclist would like to chime in?
emoji
Old 06-02-2024, 04:10 PM

I have RH tires on multiple bikes and am very happy with all of them. I will never run tubeless on my bikes, whatever tires I use.

Last edited by Waldo62; 06-02-2024 at 08:39 PM.
Old 06-02-2024, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoker View Post
Curious how Jan fared while finishing the 350 yesterday.
He finished impressively (on cantilever brakes!) but the Rene Herse email about his bike notably states he was running TPU tubes not tubeless:

Tires—everybody is talking about tires at Unbound. At 54 mm, my tires are wider than most. Tires that wide allow me to run extremely low pressures—probably about 21 psi (1.5 bar). This in turn allows me to run a lighter, more supple casing for extra speed and ride feel. Inside the tires are the new Rene Herse TPU tubes.

Why not tubeless? Speed and durability. TPU tubes are considerably faster than liquid sealant sloshing around inside your tubes. And with the tube reinforcing the tire sidewall, cuts are much less likely. The downside is that if I cut a tire, there’s no sealant to (hopefully) seal the cut. I’ll have to change the tube. Fortunately, with TPU tubes being so light and small, I can take plenty of spares. Let’s hope I don’t need them!
Old 06-02-2024, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
14 plugs. They need some kind of prize for finishing a race that hard with that much trouble. That’s absolutely insane he had the determination to fight through that!
Yup.

I've never ridden out there but everything I've heard is that its a different animal to most parts of the country and the rocks are like razor blades. Nearly every pro or sharp end rider has traded durability and puncture resistance for rolling resistance for this race.

Curious if anyone here has done the race and how the surface stacks up.
Old 06-02-2024, 08:26 PM

I've mounted 4 sets of RH tires, always needed a airshot canister to get the bead seated.

Tubeless, for tires wider than 32mm or so, is such a better solution than an inner tube.

I'm sorry, OP, but this is user error, not a problem with the product.
Old 06-02-2024, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
Yep, avoiding panaracer and Rene herse tires for tubeless setups will yield a happier life.
There’s lots of tires I would add to that kind of list. Anyone who blames anything other than the tire and/or tire beads, whether the rims or tape, lacks broad experience and is making fanboy excuses.
Old 06-02-2024, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applesauce View Post
Anyone who blames anything other than the tire and/or tire beads, whether the rims or tape, lacks broad experience and is making fanboy excuses.
In my broad experience, humans are responsible for far more errors than things are.

RH may or may not suit your needs. But they are tubeless compatible.
Old 06-02-2024, 09:47 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by phishrabbi View Post
In my broad experience, humans are responsible for far more errors than things are.

RH may or may not suit your needs. But they are tubeless compatible.
Statistically speaking, I have tried many brands and models of large volume tubeless “road” tires since 2017 or so - so call it 7 years.

It took me a little while to learn the ins and outs of the system, it’s true. And different tires have varied performance.

But without a doubt, the tire brand that caused more catastrophic ride ending failures was Rene Herse. And the tire brand that cause more trouble getting mounted to the rim than any other was Rene Herse. The brand even admits this - they have extremely involved setup instructions on their website that involve taking steps that aren’t required with brands that have their stuff figured out. I really wanted to like these tires, but for the money you pay, they are just not worth it, and I have sworn off them.

I do respect Jan very much for spreading the gospel of wider tires for road riding before many others, but RH are simply off the back when it comes to the state of the technology today. There are much better options for less money that go on the rim with a floor pump and have sidewalls that don’t explode if you look at them cross-eyed. That’s where my tire money goes these days.
Old 06-02-2024, 09:52 PM

Perhaps he was riding his new TPU tubes to sell them. They are a new item in his catalog. And what better way to showcase them at Unbound.

QUOTE=Pegoready;3388856]He finished impressively (on cantilever brakes!) but the Rene Herse email about his bike notably states he was running TPU tubes not tubeless:

Tires—everybody is talking about tires at Unbound. At 54 mm, my tires are wider than most. Tires that wide allow me to run extremely low pressures—probably about 21 psi (1.5 bar). This in turn allows me to run a lighter, more supple casing for extra speed and ride feel. Inside the tires are the new Rene Herse TPU tubes.

Why not tubeless? Speed and durability. TPU tubes are considerably faster than liquid sealant sloshing around inside your tubes. And with the tube reinforcing the tire sidewall, cuts are much less likely. The downside is that if I cut a tire, there’s no sealant to (hopefully) seal the cut. I’ll have to change the tube. Fortunately, with TPU tubes being so light and small, I can take plenty of spares. Let’s hope I don’t need them!
[/QUOTE]

Tags
no free lunch, snake oil