Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefantino View Post
-7 made $1 million on his podcast (most, probably, coming from his sponsor, Patron Tequila) during the three weeks of the Tour.
The article said $1 million in revenue, not profit. Big difference.
Old 08-01-2019, 09:51 AM
50 bpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaSS View Post
The article said $1 million in revenue, not profit. Big difference.
I didn't specify profit, but how much overhead is there on a podcast?
Old 08-01-2019, 09:55 AM
slower than you

Quote:
-7 made $1 million on his podcast (most, probably, coming from his sponsor, Patron Tequila) during the three weeks of the Tour.

Bernal made $500,000.

And that's not all the money he's making from his spiritual redemption tour. There's this.
I smell puffery. Chest beating. How could we know? And why in the world would airtime like that be worth a million? What's his audience, like 100 people? I'll bet NBCSN has a hard time selling the tour in America, and that gets you the scenery, not just Lance doing Lance.

But, the Patron brand just sold for 2 or 3 billion dollars. There's a ton of stupid and/or dirty money in the world these days. So, what's a million to friends in Aspen?

Last edited by Mr. Pink; 08-01-2019 at 09:58 AM.
Old 08-01-2019, 09:59 AM
slower than you

Quote:
I didn't specify profit, but how much overhead is there on a podcast?
Not much. Its real easy to do. Now, some people are doing them with phones.
Old 08-01-2019, 10:23 AM
Cranky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marciero View Post
The fact is that he's spent a career mostly amplifying and perpetuating immature, misogynist, hateful, hurtful attitudes, stereotypes, and behaviors, and our culture has rewarded him handsomely for that.
Yup.

Not everyone who listened to and enjoyed his show falls into this category, but he validated a generation of meatheads and trolls. Nobody should be in a hurry to give him a pass on all that because he became an adult in his fifties and now claims it was all an act born of insecurity.

See also: Dice, Andrew Clay.
Old 08-01-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
I smell puffery. Chest beating. How could we know? And why in the world would airtime like that be worth a million? What's his audience, like 100 people? I'll bet NBCSN has a hard time selling the tour in America, and that gets you the scenery, not just Lance doing Lance.

But, the Patron brand just sold for 2 or 3 billion dollars. There's a ton of stupid and/or dirty money in the world these days. So, what's a million to friends in Aspen?
His podcast is actually stupidly popular, despite all logic and reason. It's consistently near the top of the iTunes Charts, outpacing Bill Simmons at some points.
Old 08-01-2019, 10:30 AM

i wonder how many people are outraged by doping in the nfl? a half dozen, maybe? and the bad things, i.e., actual crimes, committed by players....let's not even begin to count the ways. it'd be a laundry list.

as a forum member here might say, cycling is weird.

Old 08-01-2019, 10:33 AM

Yes, football is also bad.
Old 08-01-2019, 10:42 AM

If I went out of my way to avoid all media produced by ****ty famous people, i'd probably be reduced to sitting on my couch watching paint dry. I operate under the assumption that almost all famous people are ****ty and that a large share of them are legitimately terrible people, some just have better PR people.
Old 08-01-2019, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsew View Post
If I went out of my way to avoid all media produced by ****ty famous people, i'd probably be reduced to sitting on my couch watching paint dry. I operate under the assumption that almost all famous people are ****ty and that a large share of them are legitimately terrible people, some just have better PR people.
^^This^^

Don't forget all the ***ty unfamous people we've all got to deal with on a day to day basis. Life is a lot easier with more forgiveness and less sanctimony.
Old 08-01-2019, 10:55 AM
Administrator

Im just curious, how far does the LA shadow carry for some folks? Should the people who work with him be ignored by association? George H. has generally been considered a "Good Guy" and he's doing the podcast with LA. TeJay Van Garderen was on right after he left the Tour due to injury. LA also has contacts within the current peloton that fill him in on inside details so he doesn't appear to be a pariah with some of those folks.

Again, just curious how far that shadow is cast?

W.
Old 08-01-2019, 10:57 AM
50 bpm

If, after the Oprah show, you would have told me that in a few years -7 would have a Tour de France podcast that would make $1 million, I wouldn't have believed it. No one would listen to it.

But we Americans are, unfortunately and collectively, not that bright anymore.
Old 08-01-2019, 11:10 AM
slower than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
Im just curious, how far does the LA shadow carry for some folks? Should the people who work with him be ignored by association? George H. has generally been considered a "Good Guy" and he's doing the podcast with LA. TeJay Van Garderen was on right after he left the Tour due to injury. LA also has contacts within the current peloton that fill him in on inside details so he doesn't appear to be a pariah with some of those folks.

Again, just curious how far that shadow is cast?

W.
The current peloton? Riders? Managers? Staff? Who would be so dumb to interact with -7, and risk their reputation and fragile brand? Who needs that stain? What does he bring in return?
Old 08-01-2019, 11:13 AM

Most people are just not as vindictive as folks here and have more ability to forgive.

You can ignore him. Lots of people don't care or have forgiven him. He lost his trophies. He's not a convicted criminal. Even if he was a felon I would not begrudge him the ability to make a podcast and be self employed and have a new career. That'd be one of the few ways he could since these days we give anyone who serves a prison sentence a lifetime sentence of unemployability.

He didn't hurt me, and I don't really feel bad for any of the other cheaters he cheated against.

If you hate him that much are you in the crowd that believes cycling is totally clean now? Got a poster of Froome up in the garage?

I haven't listened to his podcast for more than 5 minutes cause a lot of the episodes were completely unrelated to cycling. No different than Joe Rogan I don't really care to listen to long format interviews with some kinds of people on some topics. But if you're listening to him interview someone who has nothing to do with cycling and you were never interested in cycling at all what would the TdF scandal matter to you at all? Good interviewer, good guest, good interview, topic you like, topic has nothing to do with cycling, why wouldn't you listen? (FWIW I think I like Joe Rogan better)

Last edited by benb; 08-01-2019 at 11:16 AM.
Old 08-01-2019, 11:14 AM
slower than you

As mentioned above, I would love to hear the numbers behind how many people protested to NBC about his guest stint. That would be a great measure of redemption.