Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-22-2020, 12:05 AM

Gotta love paceline. What I'm seeing is that if it's not being used for a fine grind, the $70-100 pricepoint models are more than fine and an upgrade from a blade grinder. If you want a finer grind, pay up.
Old 11-22-2020, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeybike View Post
Gotta love paceline. What I'm seeing is that if it's not being used for a fine grind, the $70-100 pricepoint models are more than fine and an upgrade from a blade grinder. If you want a finer grind, pay up.
I certainly would agree with that statement I mean, I’m sure you can get more uniformity in something more expensive and perhaps the motor is of a higher quality and doesn’t sound as high pitched as the Oxo but yeah, this Oxo hits a nice middle ground of decent quality and pretty low price. Easy to get from Bed Bath and Beyond with a 20% off voucher too.
Old 11-22-2020, 12:42 PM

So is this OXO pretty much the best you can get at that price point(for drip)? anything better for a little more $?

I have a really cheap Cuisinart burr grinder that isnt very consistent and is really really loud as well..
Old 11-22-2020, 01:20 PM

The Bodum Burr Grinder ain't half bad...

I'll take my Baratza Encore but only maybe.
Old 11-22-2020, 07:36 PM

I received the OXO burr grinder for a birthday gift last week. Prior to that, I was using a Cuisinart burr grinder that I bought around 2002. It died this year.

The OXO is a great machine in my opinion. As others have posted, it produces a good consistent grind. I'm using a French press and the coffee is much better since getting this new grinder.

Hopefully it will last as long as the old one.
Old 11-29-2020, 07:57 PM

New to me Alex Duetto. Getting it dialed in but shots by the end of the evening were as good as I get in a cafe. Can’t wait to get things dialed in (and upgrade my grinder).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-30-2020, 07:20 AM

Maybe it has been discussed already - but what do you folks do for #CoffeeOutside? (Or camping, bikepacking, etc.)

I've got a mini stove for camping and a lovely camp cup, but my glass french press isn't the best to carry on a bike. And, of course, what to do with the grounds (leave no trace)?

Pre grind at home or bring a mini hand grinder?

Hoping to organise a #CoffeeOutside here once the plauge is over and it's warmer weather.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
Old 11-30-2020, 08:52 AM
all slow no go

I like my aeropress (with fellow prismo attachment) for camping. We usually pre-grind if we're going lighter, or bring a hand grinder if it's a more casual camp.
Old 11-30-2020, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger M View Post
I received the OXO burr grinder for a birthday gift last week. Prior to that, I was using a Cuisinart burr grinder that I bought around 2002. It died this year.

The OXO is a great machine in my opinion. As others have posted, it produces a good consistent grind. I'm using a French press and the coffee is much better since getting this new grinder.

Hopefully it will last as long as the old one.
I have been mulling about a new grinder--but my biggest complaint is that the one that I have gets gummed up from oily beans (dark roast). The old one I have was an Estro (Starbucks house brand or at least sold by SBux when good grinders were thin on the ground)--rotating burrs, coffee in hopper on top, plastic catch container on the front--and three or four uses, and it would gum up. Then the joy of cleaning it--taking out microscopic screws, loosing your grind settings as you lifted the hopper piece out to expose the burr area, and then fighting with various tools to try to clean the burrs and the exit passage for the ground coffee.

I was almost sold on the OXO after reading about it here--then I read a bunch of Amazon reviews that say it clogs on oily beans--consistently--and that OXO's response has been to simply say--"Our grinder does not grind beans like that consistently." Fark! (I also understand that reading about its cleaning--it does sound like taking it apart does not involve microscopic screws...)

So my question--what affordable grinder will grind oily beans and not clog--or at least give you longish usage before cleaning? (Mainstay is drip coffee and/or french press; willing to continue to buy factory ground for the occasional espresso usage...)

Lately I have reverted to using a hundred year old blade grinder just because I got so sick of having the grinder clog when I REALLY needed a cup of coffee.
Old 11-30-2020, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paredown View Post
I have been mulling about a new grinder--but my biggest complaint is that the one that I have gets gummed up from oily beans (dark roast). The old one I have was an Estro (Starbucks house brand or at least sold by SBux when good grinders were thin on the ground)--rotating burrs, coffee in hopper on top, plastic catch container on the front--and three or four uses, and it would gum up. Then the joy of cleaning it--taking out microscopic screws, loosing your grind settings as you lifted the hopper piece out to expose the burr area, and then fighting with various tools to try to clean the burrs and the exit passage for the ground coffee.

I was almost sold on the OXO after reading about it here--then I read a bunch of Amazon reviews that say it clogs on oily beans--consistently--and that OXO's response has been to simply say--"Our grinder does not grind beans like that consistently." Fark! (I also understand that reading about its cleaning--it does sound like taking it apart does not involve microscopic screws...)

So my question--what affordable grinder will grind oily beans and not clog--or at least give you longish usage before cleaning? (Mainstay is drip coffee and/or french press; willing to continue to buy factory ground for the occasional espresso usage...)

Lately I have reverted to using a hundred year old blade grinder just because I got so sick of having the grinder clog when I REALLY needed a cup of coffee.
I have the cheap Cuisinart "burr" grinder and while its inconsistent, it never clogs from oily beans, and to clean up everything, the hopper just spins out and you can clean the burrs. No screws.
Old 11-30-2020, 10:54 AM

Is $100 affordable?

https://www.amazon.com/Bodum-Grinder...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
Old 11-30-2020, 10:55 AM
shimergo

Quote:
What kind of budget is affordable for you?
Old 11-30-2020, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobydrew View Post
What kind of budget is affordable for you?
$100-150 if it is a good machine. But I suppose if it takes a higher price point to get a quality machine, then so be it.

(I hadn't read the Bodum reviews--some pretty unfavorable reviews regarding broken plastic gears..., Cuisinart--my experience has been colored by failures of two of their grind and brew coffee makers that sprung leaks)

Last edited by paredown; 11-30-2020 at 12:23 PM.
Old 11-30-2020, 12:30 PM

Quote:
$100-150 if it is a good machine. But I suppose if it takes a higher price point to get a quality machine, then so be it.

(I hadn't read the Bodum reviews--some pretty unfavorable reviews regarding broken plastic gears..., Cuisinart--my experience has been colored by failures of two of their grind and brew coffee makers that sprung leaks)
Never had a problem with broken parts on the Bodum. We used it for year and my ex still uses it to this day. I was visiting for three weeks and used it multiple times a day. 4500 Amazon reviews = 4 stars is not half bad but I don't really read many Amazon reviews. Read some (maybe you have) non-Amazon reviews and it comes out solid.

Baratza Encore is my current ride for auto grinder.
Old 11-30-2020, 12:44 PM
shimergo

+1 on the Baratza Encore. The upper burr can be easily accessed and removed by simply twisting off the hopper. You can also upgrade the burrs to improve grind uniformity (M2 Burr Upgrade). This effectively transforms it into the next higher up model (Virtuoso+). Additionally, Baratza is known for fantastic customer service.

For "cleaning" the grinder, you can try running Grindz product through it or just use plain white rice (not Jasmine or other fragrant rice).

Tags
coffee, coffee espresso