Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-12-2020, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobydrew View Post
On rotation for me (all SF Bay Area roasters):

Andytown - Short Strand Espresso
Cat and Cloud - The Answer
Verve - Streetlevel

All of the above are great by itself or for milk based drinks. FWIW, they're all lightish to medium roasts.
Thanks for this. I have had Streetlevel as filter but never espresso.

I ended up getting some Ratio from LA Mill. It's great.

But the Short Strand stuff does sound great, too, so will probably order some of that once I'm through with this.
Old 11-12-2020, 11:03 AM

Not to re-direct the thread, but anyone here use a Flare or Cafelat Robot espresso machine? Any thoughts on which you would choose? I covet MarinRider’s Cremina, but it’s way above my pay grade.

Last edited by simplemind; 11-12-2020 at 11:07 AM.
Old 11-12-2020, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplemind View Post
Not to re-direct the thread, but anyone here use a Flare or Cafelat Robot espresso machine? Any thoughts on which you would choose? I covet MarinRider’s Cremina, but it’s way above my pay grade.
https://forums.thepaceline.net/showt...255645&page=11

Check this thread out. I have a Robot. Cannot recommend it enough. Bought it to replace my ROK. No pre heating in most cases is enough of a reason to buy the robot. Flawless, repeatable shots every time without much effort at all.
Old 11-12-2020, 11:28 AM

Oh and as always, the grinder is just as important as the maker.
Old 11-12-2020, 11:56 AM

I'm thinking of trying the Flair.

The heating benefits of the Robot seem like they have to be real but I like that the Flair is so much smaller and easier to pack up and put away. Not to mention the price.

I don't see myself making espresso constantly if I try it so it's OK it it's a bit of extra hassle. Also hassle is relative when 99% of the time I'm just making 1 drink for myself. My wife doesn't drink coffee at all and it's like once a year someone is over the house and I make coffee for them.

I mostly can't quit the V60, nothing is going to change that.

I have been ordering George Howell all year.. I need to find something new. I live really close to George Howell so orders show up in like 48 hours and the coffee is always great but I could use some variety.

Last edited by benb; 11-12-2020 at 12:00 PM.
Old 11-12-2020, 12:17 PM

The Flair Neo certainly seems appealing at the ridiculously low price point.

Especially if you're gonna start off with maybe not perfectly ground espresso due to it's pressurized portafilter. Once you start getting to the Flair Pro, I'd probably just jump for a Robot.

I use my Robot at least twice a day and it's ease of use/speed of use has basically killed my v60 usage as well as my aeropress. I am sure I'll start making filter at some point in the future again, but man, it's just so good.

I can go from filling up the kettle to having an espresso in sub 2 minutes, while using a hand grinder. It's crazy fast to work with. My ROK, which required ample pre heating was more like 8 minutes.
Old 11-12-2020, 12:26 PM
shimergo

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankles View Post
Have you tried AndyTowns Shore Leave? I've been searching for a ScarletCity replacement ever since Jen closed down. Currently drinking Linea and Wreckingball espresso blends.

I lean towards on the darker side of medium roasts...FWIW.
Although I've run through many bags of Andytown's Shore Leave Hook, I'm not a huge fan of the flavor profile compared to their Wind & Sea blend. It's not a dark roast, but if you're into "darker" flavor profiles, I think Shore Leave Hook is a great versatile choice for both espresso and drip.
Old 11-12-2020, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbrwn View Post
https://forums.thepaceline.net/showt...255645&page=11

Check this thread out. I have a Robot. Cannot recommend it enough. Bought it to replace my ROK. No pre heating in most cases is enough of a reason to buy the robot. Flawless, repeatable shots every time without much effort at all.
Thanks for the link! I’ve never figured out why the ends of the arms are finished with that “C” shape, but it looks like you took care of that nicely!
Old 11-12-2020, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplemind View Post
Thanks for the link! I’ve never figured out why the ends of the arms are finished with that “C” shape, but it looks like you took care of that nicely!
Yes, the hands are an additional add-on, but are very comfy.
Old 11-21-2020, 04:21 PM

Any thoughts on the Oxo burr grinder that's about $100 bucks ($80 for BF)? Mostly do french press, and sometimes do a turkish cup. Will be upgrading from a krups blade ginder, and it's either the Oxo or spend 2x and get the Barzata.

Put another way: any reason to go Barzata over Oxo for 50 bucks more?

Last edited by hockeybike; 11-21-2020 at 04:23 PM.
Old 11-21-2020, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeybike View Post
Any thoughts on the Oxo burr grinder that's about $100 bucks ($80 for BF)? Mostly do french press, and sometimes do a turkish cup. Will be upgrading from a krups blade ginder, and it's either the Oxo or spend 2x and get the Barzata.

Put another way: any reason to go Barzata over Oxo for 50 bucks more?
Might not be what you want to hear. But. I have this grinder. It does a great job for filter coffee but will not grind anywhere *near* fine enough for true Turkish. Nor will the Baratza. I have no experience with the baratza so cannot give any input on how well it performs vs the Oxo.

If I was buying a grinder for filter again I’d happily buy the Oxo again with no regrets. It’s a bit bigger than the Baratza I believe.
Old 11-21-2020, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Might not be what you want to hear. But. I have this grinder. It does a great job for filter coffee but will not grind anywhere *near* fine enough for true Turkish. Nor will the Baratza. I have no experience with the baratza so cannot give any input on how well it performs vs the Oxo.

If I was buying a grinder for filter again I’d happily buy the Oxo again with no regrets. It’s a bit bigger than the Baratza I believe.
Does the OXO do a pretty consistent grind? I have a pretty crappy grinder for pour over and its all over the place.
Old 11-21-2020, 07:54 PM

Quote:

So both equally not perfect for 'turkish' and espresso is what it sounds like. As long as they're equally 'meh' for what hteyre bad at, and equally good for what they're good at, grind-wise...seems like OXO's the clear winner if that's the pricepoint.

The krups blade grinder creates a powder if you let it go long enough.
Old 11-21-2020, 08:34 PM

I took the liberty of doing some sample grinds for you.

Finest is on setting 1 - the finest setting. Fine-Medium is on setting 5. Coarsest is on setting 13. 15 being the coarsest it does.

Photos are in the order of fine > fine medium > coarse.

I think it’s pretty damn consistent for the money.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 035F9543-37F6-4EFE-9DA1-36DCAE921EDF.jpg (102.6 KB, 244 views)
File Type: jpg B56F2E65-CA3C-4880-BA3E-3C83C224F910.jpg (103.0 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg 8CD1BEFF-8346-48E0-BC4A-3E86963A8AE2.jpg (118.5 KB, 130 views)
Old 11-21-2020, 08:37 PM

Bonus picture for comparisons sake. My current espresso grind using a 1Zpresso JX Pro hand grinder. It’s not that clear in the photo but it does feel a lot finer than the finest grind from the Oxo. I have used the oxo for espresso and the difference in flavour and extraction from the JX Pro was huge.

Coffee is different though, so the colour of the grounds are slightly lighter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6A0CE495-9F2F-4571-8BA7-A81A074F349A.jpg (105.1 KB, 246 views)

Tags
coffee, coffee espresso