Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-22-2023, 10:42 AM

Shortly after I posted I remembered that there is the factory option to have the cladding painted.....in limited colors.

So, with the addition of adjustable lowering links (air suspension) one should be able to put together a pretty sharp looking "not Allroad" Allroad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
The wheel arch cladding is pretty ugly and distracts from the lines of a fairly handsome vehicle otherwise.
Old 11-22-2023, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nspace View Post
Agreed!

At the time (2016), the VW Sportwagen was the only cost effective option when we were in the market for a new car. Having owned that car for the last 7 years, I personally would not buy another one. The DSG transmission is probably the least smooth transmission I've ever driven, the rear camera periodically glitches out, the interior trim around the shifter separated and sliced my finger open, they are notorious for burning oil, the suspension has been creaky from very early on (also common), its had a coolant leak, 2 broken clock springs that disabled the steering wheel controls and airbag, and a broken oil control valve.
I havent had any of those problems, and I'm on my 3rd VW Wagon.
Old 11-22-2023, 12:00 PM

Last edited by Marvinlungwitz; 12-20-2023 at 11:16 AM.
Old 11-22-2023, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvinlungwitz View Post
There’s actually no limit to the colors if you go with the exclusive paint to order route.

Untitled by Marvin Lungwitz, on Flickr

Untitled by Marvin Lungwitz, on Flickr
This has piqued my curiosity. How did you come across the first two wagons? These are so rare that I don't think I've seen two of these in the past year, much less two that have painted-to-match claddings.
Old 11-22-2023, 12:31 PM

Last edited by Marvinlungwitz; 12-20-2023 at 11:15 AM.
Old 11-22-2023, 12:39 PM

Gotcha. I thought those were photos you took on your walks in your own neighborhood
Old 11-22-2023, 12:50 PM

Last edited by Marvinlungwitz; 12-20-2023 at 11:15 AM.
Old 11-22-2023, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvinlungwitz View Post
Exclusive paint to order is pricey, however. I think it’s in the 5-6 k range.
Mercedes and Porsche have the same....exclusive paint and not cheap. Didn't see the Exclusive Paint option on the Audi website. Probably have to talk to the order taker at the local dealership.

Color matched cladding is a US$1,000 option for 3-4 regular Audi colors.
Old 11-22-2023, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
Agreed on the Audi A6 Avant. It’s really unfortunate that they have it as this “All-Road” model like people are going off roading with their Audi wagon. That ain’t happening much. The wheel arch cladding is pretty ugly and distracts from the lines of a fairly handsome vehicle otherwise.
I felt the same way about wheel arch cladding before I got my 2017 VW Golf Alltrack. I was surprised to discover that it is the perfect place to lean my bike against the side of the car. No more little scratches on the quarter panel from the brake levers - my first car that doesn't have them!
Old 11-22-2023, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .RJ View Post
I havent had any of those problems, and I'm on my 3rd VW Wagon.
I have a 2017 VW Golf Alltrack and I haven't had any of those problems either. In 50,000 miles my sole problems have been a battery that needed replacement and an oxygen sensor that created all sorts of warnings on the dashboard when it failed. That one was a mystery that took some time to fix, and gave me the chance to see what rental car RAV-4 and the competing Chevrolet small SUV (I forget the model name) were like. And those SUVs were bloody horrible to drive.

I love my Golf Alltrack. It's one of the best cars I've ever owned.
Old 11-22-2023, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palincss View Post
I have a 2017 VW Golf Alltrack and I haven't had any of those problems either.
Consider yourselves lucky.

Just search jerky DSG transmission at low speed, VW oil consumption (VW's own spec is 1/2 liter per 1000km), or VW creaky suspension to see how many people are plagued by these issues. Keep an eye out, I am at 150k kilometers.
Old 11-22-2023, 03:23 PM

I have a 2013 JSW TDI. Its the base TDI so no (potentially leaky) sunroof. I bought it as a CPO in 2019 for $13K and it had 13K miles. I'm about to turn 70K miles this month. I've had a number of quirky problems but fortunately the CPO and Dieselgate warranties covered everything but now those warranties have expired so I'm casually looking for my next wagon. I wish I had bought the Alltrack (pre covid price explosion) since I think its all around a better vehicle, at least more modern looking but $13K for wagon with so few miles was hard to pass up.

Love the looks of the Allroad but not a fan of the cladding. $1K for color matched seems excessive.

Was parked next to a Buick Regal Tour X (that's a mouthful) at recent CX race. Must admit it looked pretty good, very Euro no Buick and used prices are not obscene.

The V60 intrigues me as well but I hear horror stories about reliability with Volvo.
Old 11-22-2023, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
I wouldn't discount the VW Golf SportWagen 'S' model...4 motion. The same as the Alltrack but no leather, sunroof and with 16in wheels..and about $10k less.

I have a 2017 which I love. Got it for 'free' when I gave my 2014 TDI back to them.
Similar trade in story for us. We swapped a 2012 JSW TDI for a 2018 Alltrack SE 6speed MT and paid around $2k after the buyback. Wife loves the car
Old 11-22-2023, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbowlpats View Post
I have a 2013 JSW TDI. Its the base TDI so no (potentially leaky) sunroof. I bought it as a CPO in 2019 for $13K and it had 13K miles. I'm about to turn 70K miles this month. I've had a number of quirky problems but fortunately the CPO and Dieselgate warranties covered everything but now those warranties have expired so I'm casually looking for my next wagon. I wish I had bought the Alltrack (pre covid price explosion) since I think its all around a better vehicle, at least more modern looking but $13K for wagon with so few miles was hard to pass up.

Love the looks of the Allroad but not a fan of the cladding. $1K for color matched seems excessive.

Was parked next to a Buick Regal Tour X (that's a mouthful) at recent CX race. Must admit it looked pretty good, very Euro no Buick and used prices are not obscene.

The V60 intrigues me as well but I hear horror stories about reliability with Volvo.
It’s literally a rebadged Opel Insignia made in Germany. Any vehicle for sale has a VIN starting with a “W”.

As for Volvo, i’d be the first to say it got higher ratio of defects. That said, the Sweden-made products seem to be better than the ones made in South Carolina.
Old 11-22-2023, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nspace View Post
Consider yourselves lucky.

Just search jerky DSG transmission at low speed, VW oil consumption (VW's own spec is 1/2 liter per 1000km), or VW creaky suspension to see how many people are plagued by these issues. Keep an eye out, I am at 150k kilometers.
I think most of the complaints about jerky DSG are from people who haven't taken the time to learn how to drive a DSG transmission. As far as I'm concerned, the DSG is the best auto transmission I've ever driven.

Oil consumption is zero, and no suspension noises either.

As they say, YMMV.