Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-20-2020, 02:03 PM

You use these dinky hand grinders too much you might as well go screw up the fit on your bike and mess up your handlebars and then go ride a few hundred miles.

I had the Skerton Pro and I also had one of the "JavaPresse" ones that are $20 on Amazon.

They both have tiny unergonomic handles and eventually made my wrist get sore grinding coffee every day.

I actually thought the Skerton did pretty uneven grinding too.

There's a good reason the vintage ones often have big handles that fill your hand and even sometimes have a geartrain to reduce force.
Old 05-20-2020, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
You use these dinky hand grinders too much you might as well go screw up the fit on your bike and mess up your handlebars and then go ride a few hundred miles.

I had the Skerton Pro and I also had one of the "JavaPresse" ones that are $20 on Amazon.

They both have tiny unergonomic handles and eventually made my wrist get sore grinding coffee every day.

I actually thought the Skerton did pretty uneven grinding too.

There's a good reason the vintage ones often have big handles that fill your hand and even sometimes have a geartrain to reduce force.

Yes, the cheap ones are garbage. I’m not sure if you’re saying all hand grinders are garbage but you’re sadly mistaken if that’s your point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-20-2020, 02:12 PM
formerly Landshark_98

Vibbieme domobar biting the dust after 15 years of daily use. Moving to a Lucca A53 Mini Espresso Machine by La Spaziale from Clive Coffee; the ability to program shots is desired by my wife and the front filling reservior makes life easier for her/us as well. Should work well for our needs - decent not necessarily artisan espresso shots for me and lotsa lattes/cappucinos for wife and her friends.
Old 05-20-2020, 04:04 PM

What’s on your coffee bench?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk007 View Post
Vibbieme domobar biting the dust after 15 years of daily use. Moving to a Lucca A53 Mini Espresso Machine by La Spaziale from Clive Coffee; the ability to program shots is desired by my wife and the front filling reservior makes life easier for her/us as well. Should work well for our needs - decent not necessarily artisan espresso shots for me and lotsa lattes/cappucinos for wife and her friends.

I think you will enjoy the Lucca very much. I have had a Lucca M58 dual boiler for a few years - great machine. Mine is paired with a Kafetek Monolith conical single-dosing grinder, which is exceptional. I’ve been longing to upgrade my machine to a La Marzocco Línea Mini for the improved steaming performance, but can’t justify it given the quality of the Lucca.

Last edited by FlaRider; 05-20-2020 at 09:29 PM.
Old 05-20-2020, 04:31 PM

I have had a La Spaziale Dream with the rotoary pump for about 3 years. When I purchased that machine getting something with volumetric settings was the first priority, rotary pump second. Love having it plumbed into the waterline.
Old 05-24-2020, 03:00 PM
all slow no go

Just tried out the Fellow Prismo for the first time, and it will be a permanent addition to the coffee bench. I'd say it's a must-have addition to an Aeropress. Does it make espresso? No. But it does make a passable enough facsimile to use in a very decent espresso tonic. Plus the pressure valve means no drip, no immersion aeropressing.
Old 05-24-2020, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwynne View Post
Just tried out the Fellow Prismo for the first time, and it will be a permanent addition to the coffee bench. I'd say it's a must-have addition to an Aeropress. Does it make espresso? No. But it does make a passable enough facsimile to use in a very decent espresso tonic. Plus the pressure valve means no drip, no immersion aeropressing.
Espresso tonic? How have I missed this concoction?
Old 05-24-2020, 08:13 PM
shimergo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb_11 View Post
Espresso tonic? How have I missed this concoction?
One of the local roasters around here has a drink on their menu that's a mi of espresso, sparkling water, a bit of simple syrup, and a dollop of their house made whipped cream. Very delicious treat.
Old 05-24-2020, 08:19 PM
all slow no go

A place in Vancouver turned my wife and I on to it (we've since moved away, but I hope they open back up...)

Tall tumbler, nice tonic (they used Fever Tree, and I quite like it - plain or aromatic), ice, then espresso over top. DO NOT STIR (unless you fancy a science fair experiment), as you sip, the layers mix. Lovely - rich and refreshing.
Old 05-24-2020, 08:22 PM
all slow no go

(I still want a Cafelat Robot very badly, but for $30, the Prismo curbs the immediate espresso craving)
Old 05-25-2020, 08:20 AM

A shot of espresso over a ball of your favorite gelato is a treat too.
Old 05-25-2020, 09:49 AM

So I want to buy pritchet's Ceado grinder so is anyone interested in a Rancilio Rocky grinder? I bought it from local paceliner pjoyce, cleaned it and replaced the burrs and it works well but I just don't like the doser and these are not easy to convert to doserless. I bought it about a year and half ago and make 5-10 espressos a week.
$100 picked up Cape Cod and not cleaned out. Great riding here! If you want me to ship it, you pay and I would wait until I get pritchet's ceado so I have a box.
It's white and has a doser. I can send pics, the pic here is from the web to give you an idea of what it looks like.

Old 05-25-2020, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobydrew View Post
One of the local roasters around here has a drink on their menu that's a mi of espresso, sparkling water, a bit of simple syrup, and a dollop of their house made whipped cream. Very delicious treat.
Sounds good as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwynne View Post
A place in Vancouver turned my wife and I on to it (we've since moved away, but I hope they open back up...)

Tall tumbler, nice tonic (they used Fever Tree, and I quite like it - plain or aromatic), ice, then espresso over top. DO NOT STIR (unless you fancy a science fair experiment), as you sip, the layers mix. Lovely - rich and refreshing.
Thanks for the notes. I like Fever Tree with my gin. I'll definitely give this a shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by merckxman View Post
A shot of espresso over a ball of your favorite gelato is a treat too.
Now that I have tried. Good stuff.
Old 05-25-2020, 10:15 AM

Had some Fever Tree at home and made myself a Tonic & Espresso

Took clear ice, fresh squeeze of lime, Fever Tree and an espresso poor over. Pretty darn good!
Old 05-25-2020, 10:54 AM
PegoNagos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V View Post
Had some Fever Tree at home and made myself a Tonic & Espresso

Took clear ice, fresh squeeze of lime, Fever Tree and an espresso poor over. Pretty darn good!
Now I think that I need to try this.....

Tags
coffee, coffee espresso