Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-02-2024, 10:44 AM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
Even when mounted in a "compromised" position with an extreme downward angle it seems to work just fine and with no dimished detection range.
I must confess, I find this surprising, based on an experience I had on a group ride a while back:

My wife has a Varia mounted on the back of her saddlebag, so effectively pointing straight back. Riding next to her was a friend who has her Varia mounted on the left seatstay, so effectively pointing up at a ~30° angle.
I was riding behind those two, and taking note of when their respective Varias would start blinking to indicate an approaching vehicle

...and the difference between cars that my wife's unit would register, versus the ones that our friend's would register, was astonishing, bordering on alarming. The angled-up Varia was missing >25% of the vehicles approaching from behind! Sometimes it would register just as the vehicle was passing; often it would simply not register at all.

It was scary, and afterwards I implored our friend to consider an alternate location for her unit.

She did: She bought a new bike!
Old 09-02-2024, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trener1 View Post
Bringing this thread back to life.
I need a new Saddle bag anyhow, so I was looking at the KOM Cycling saddle bag with the integrated Varia mount.
Does anyone use it?
Is it good? it looks pretty cool on paper.
I don't know on the bag, but thanks for the KOM Cycling lead. Interested in their Varia seatpost mount, as I want something quick-release since with a mount on the seatpost, there is just slightly not enough room to fit a repair stand clamp.