Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-07-2024, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
Really intrigued by all the posts from Baron Blubba and dcama5 in the “photos” thread. I think Front Royal (Hogback Overlook) and Staunton would make great bases on opposite ends of the SNP. Thoughts?
Staunton is a nice town that is slowly gentrifying. Some awesome big old houses, a couple nice restaurants, and enough infrastructure. But its a ways from the SNP by bike. There are gorgeous valley roads nearby, and tremendous mtn biking in the George Washington Nat'l forest in striking distance, along with Reddish Knob, a tremendous road and mtn bike climb area. 20-30 min drive to Skyline/Parkway though.
Old 10-07-2024, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Really intrigued by all the posts from Baron Blubba and dcama5 in the “photos” thread. I think Front Royal (Hogback Overlook) and Staunton would make great bases on opposite ends of the SNP. Thoughts?
What are you looking for in a base? An overnight stay before riding to the other end or a place to do several rides?

I’m not as familiar with the riding on the other side of the mountain in Staunton but as Greg noted, it’s a bit of distance to Skyline/BRP. Waynesboro is closer and a supply point for AT hikers but has a bit more sprawl character to it. On the east side of the mountain, Afton, while not really a town per se, is a nice location and you can find an Air BnB easily for a short stay and nearby towns of Crozet, small community of Nellysford will have amenities that you might need. I live in Charlottesville and regularly drive out to the community center in Greenwood to start my rides out there.
Old 10-07-2024, 08:19 AM

Another thing to keep in mind is that the entire length of the BRP is closed due to Helene. While there's not much damage at the northern end, the southern end is catastrophic and resources are diverted there. Skyline is open.
Old 10-07-2024, 08:35 AM

We stayed in Luray, VA (just south of Front Royal) for about a week last month. We were in our campervan and our goal was to explore more of Shenandoah.

Overall, I thought it was a very nice area to ride in. It was very foggy in the mornings, and it rained pretty much every day but I still made the best of it. I also ended up riding pretty much all of Skyline Drive over two separate days. I have to say that after having been spoiled by the scenery of the West Coast mountains, it felt a little underwhelming but that is a first-world complaint

I think it would be a lovely area to visit and stay for a week of cycling. The area did seem way too politically charged for a small town, but I am guessing that has to do more with the upcoming election.
Old 10-07-2024, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Depends on your goals. Afton/Waynesboro are much closer to the southern end of Skyline Drive - it's a hike to get form there over to Staunton by bike. Are you thinking of a point-to-point ride? Or just want >1 "base camps" for cycling adventures?

Between Front Royal, Luray, Harrisonburg, it's hard to go wrong. If you want this Skyline Dr, Luray or Front Royal make the most sense. Harrisonburg has easy access to all sort of mixed terrain, plus Reddish Knob to the west, GWNF for forest road or mountain biking, and up and over into some pretty epic country roads in WV.
Old 10-07-2024, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa63 View Post
I have to say that after having been spoiled by the scenery of the West Coast mountains, it felt a little underwhelming but that is a first-world complaint

I think it would be a lovely area to visit and stay for a week of cycling. The area did seem way too politically charged for a small town, but I am guessing that has to do more with the upcoming election.
On the first point - yeah, the scenery around Luray is lovely, but it's not "big mountains" like the Rockies or Alps. And you don't get the true "Blue Ridge Mountain" sunsets until you go quite a bit deeper in the mountains (like down into Mt Rogers Rec Area or over into WV). But, it is a unique ecosystem and compared to coastal or Piedmont VA, it's AMAZING.

To the second - Luray and Front Royal are on the border between the much more liberal DC metro and conservative rural VA. So, they tend to get LOTS or yard signs, even when it's not a Trump candidacy. Add in Trump, and the signage and general level of crazy from both sides really ramps up. Plus, parts of rural VA can have a weird anti-social, leave-me-alone vibe (not just normal "No Trespass" signs, but stuff like "If I see you here, I'll shoot you with crossbow").
Old 10-07-2024, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
Depends on your goals. Afton/Waynesboro are much closer to the southern end of Skyline Drive - it's a hike to get form there over to Staunton by bike. Are you thinking of a point-to-point ride? Or just want >1 "base camps" for cycling adventures?

Between Front Royal, Luray, Harrisonburg, it's hard to go wrong. If you want this Skyline Dr, Luray or Front Royal make the most sense. Harrisonburg has easy access to all sort of mixed terrain, plus Reddish Knob to the west, GWNF for forest road or mountain biking, and up and over into some pretty epic country roads in WV.
Yeah, after a little more “Google mapping,” it looks like Waynesboro is the better choice for starting/ending a ride, although I could still use Staunton as a base. The Lexington/Goshen Pass loop also gets rave reviews. So, from South to North, I think Lexington/Staunton/Luray would make great bases.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1462.jpg (95.8 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1463.jpg (100.7 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1461.jpg (101.7 KB, 100 views)
Old 10-07-2024, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
On the first point - yeah, the scenery around Luray is lovely, but it's not "big mountains" like the Rockies or Alps. And you don't get the true "Blue Ridge Mountain" sunsets until you go quite a bit deeper in the mountains (like down into Mt Rogers Rec Area or over into WV). But, it is a unique ecosystem and compared to coastal or Piedmont VA, it's AMAZING.

To the second - Luray and Front Royal are on the border between the much more liberal DC metro and conservative rural VA. So, they tend to get LOTS or yard signs, even when it's not a Trump candidacy. Add in Trump, and the signage and general level of crazy from both sides really ramps up. Plus, parts of rural VA can have a weird anti-social, leave-me-alone vibe (not just normal "No Trespass" signs, but stuff like "If I see you here, I'll shoot you with crossbow").
This is a much deeper subject than this thread (or perhaps this forum) will permit. But, as a traveler, I think it’s incumbent to turn your pre-conceived notions “off,” or at least temper them.
Old 10-07-2024, 10:18 AM

The 2nd route posted looks like the classic 'skymass' loop. Its a great ride.
Old 10-07-2024, 10:18 AM

Quote:
This is a much deeper subject than this thread (or perhaps this forum) will permit. But, as a traveler, I think it’s incumbent to turn your pre-conceived notions “off,” or at least temper them.
I felt quite safe riding out of Front Royal in May. Pre-conceived notions were not borne out.
Old 10-07-2024, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Yeah, for sure. Just explaining the large number/density of political signs that exist in that part of VA.

The "no trespass/violent threat" signs are real. And super weird, IMO. Mostly seen on the side of North Mountain and over in WV. :shrug:

I still love riding, hiking, and camping out there.
Old 10-07-2024, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
I felt quite safe riding out of Front Royal in May. Pre-conceived notions were not borne out.
Getting off the popular routes in page, shenandoah and further west towards WV and the vibe becomes pretty unpredictable. You can have people offering water on one road and turn a corner and a whole property will be lined with purple blazes, tall fencing and signs that suggest you'll be shot on sight if you approach the property. Years ago west of Harrisonburg I got chased off (in a car) by a guy with a shotgun for turning around at the top of his driveway.

But all that said I still feel safer riding out there than in northern virginia and people are generally pretty nice.
Old 10-07-2024, 10:51 AM

I went grass skiing at Bryce in Bayse in early 80’s. On the list of Top 10 craziest things I’ve ever done! I remember that area being beautiful.
Old 10-07-2024, 11:16 AM

The benefit of being based in Waynesboro is having access to the Blue ridge parkway as well as the Shenandoah.

I enjoyed skyline from Front Royal the most.
Old 10-07-2024, 11:31 AM

Quote:
although I could still use Staunton as a base.
Been to many places up/down Skyline Drive/Blue Ridge Parkway. Of places you listed Staunton is one of my favorite places to stay. Nice town with good restaurants. I recommend at least one ride heading south and do monster climbs (Reeds Gap and Vesuvius) up to BRP. You could also do the Wintergreen Ascent.

I always enjoyed my many cycling trips in that part of VA and never ever felt unsafe.