Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-10-2024, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
Jan Heine (Rene Herse) says no. His TPU tubes have a metal valve stem.
Noted.
Old 05-10-2024, 04:56 PM

I just got back from a ride after installing Ridenow tubes in my RH tires and was pleasantly surprised how well this setup works.

Spare tubes are a TPU and butyl. For inflation, I have a Lezyne Pocket Pro for the TPU and CO2 cartridges for the butyl. Everything but the pump fits in my down tube storage compartment.
Old 05-10-2024, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefish42 View Post
Tell me more aboutthat pump. Does it reliably work? Never seen one before.
My bikes live in the man cave so charging isn’t an issue.

I’ve only had it a little over a month I ride 3 times a week, I use the Cycplus AS2 Pro (fairly new) to top off my tires, it has a gauge and pumps to a preset value I’m using 75 psi then I pop it on the charger as I get the bike ready to go, about 10 minutes and the charger is topped off. It comes with the hose that threads onto presta valves. I have used it a couple of times to fill 3 28c tires from empty and it still had juice left. It weighs less than my Tattico which will soon be left behind knock wood. It fits nicely in my saddle pack along with the other things I carry.

Old 05-10-2024, 10:28 PM

i can now attest to how shocking tough these RideNow tubes are, and in doing so, i will also be admitting to how shockingly dumb i am.

i installed these 2 tubes on a wheelset i build up about a month or so ago, that i use on an almost daily 6-mile round trip commute to work.

well, this evening i had 2 blowouts. one on the way home, and one when i got home (thankfully).

i just pulled the tires off, and discovered i had forgotten to install rim tape.

i don't log my commute milage, but an average of 30 miles a week on this bike, and then some grocery store runs...

these tubes are bad ass
Old 05-11-2024, 07:10 AM

Jury still out for me

I've tried a few brands. Tubolitos several years ago. Mostly reliable, but eventually the valves became unreliable. I went back to latex for a few years and last year tried TPU again. I tried Revoloop. All three I tried developed a slow leak after 2-3 weeks use when they bulged and became porous near the valve base. Each looked identical. I fitted two and a mechanic fitted the third, so I don't think I caused the issue when fitting them. I had these replaced and have yet to try them again. I tried some RideNows. No bulging, but each has developed a slow leak after a few weeks. No puncture, tyres are new, valves held fine, but I have found a very tiny hole in each tube after a lot of searching when pumping them up outside the tyre. My theory is that, over time, minor imperfections in manufacturing are showing up as weak points that eventually give way. Just a theory, until someone can come up with a scientific answer. I run them in 25s, at 80-90 psi. Every failure I have experienced has been a slow leak. These don't seem to pop. One failed on the road and I had ample opportunity to come to a stop on a fast decent. All others have been found by noticing an acceleration in the rate of deflation after a few days. I'm trying Cyclami's now. Hoping for better luck. There is so much to like about TPU tubes.
Old 05-11-2024, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
. My theory is that, over time, minor imperfections in manufacturing are showing up as weak points that eventually give way. Just a theory, until someone can come up with a scientific answer. .
I wonder if the “slow leak” and weakness at the valve issues could be solved by going with a multilayer construction like Conti has for their new TPU tubes. The price seems about what other name brands charge, but nice that it comes with 2 patches per tube.
https://bikerumor.com/contitpu-tubes...from-just-35g/

Biggest issue is that they’re disc brake only.
Old 05-11-2024, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
I've tried a few brands. Tubolitos several years ago. Mostly reliable, but eventually the valves became unreliable. I went back to latex for a few years and last year tried TPU again. I tried Revoloop. All three I tried developed a slow leak after 2-3 weeks use when they bulged and became porous near the valve base. Each looked identical. I fitted two and a mechanic fitted the third, so I don't think I caused the issue when fitting them. I had these replaced and have yet to try them again. I tried some RideNows. No bulging, but each has developed a slow leak after a few weeks. No puncture, tyres are new, valves held fine, but I have found a very tiny hole in each tube after a lot of searching when pumping them up outside the tyre. My theory is that, over time, minor imperfections in manufacturing are showing up as weak points that eventually give way. Just a theory, until someone can come up with a scientific answer. I run them in 25s, at 80-90 psi. Every failure I have experienced has been a slow leak. These don't seem to pop. One failed on the road and I had ample opportunity to come to a stop on a fast decent. All others have been found by noticing an acceleration in the rate of deflation after a few days. I'm trying Cyclami's now. Hoping for better luck. There is so much to like about TPU tubes.
Bulging may be caused by overinflation of the tube outside of the tire. These tubes are not very elastic and plasticly deform. I would just blow air into the tube by mouth to give it shape before mounting.
Old 05-11-2024, 02:04 PM

I was initially interested in the conti tube, as it may solve some of the issues with the lower-quality TPU tubes out there.... until I saw that are not rated for Rim Brakes! Quite surprising that they would cut-off the rim-brake weight weenie market like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinzerniner View Post
I wonder if the “slow leak” and weakness at the valve issues could be solved by going with a multilayer construction like Conti has for their new TPU tubes. The price seems about what other name brands charge, but nice that it comes with 2 patches per tube.
https://bikerumor.com/contitpu-tubes...from-just-35g/

Biggest issue is that they’re disc brake only.
Old 05-11-2024, 03:03 PM

anyone try the TPU sealant? may be a good middle ground for some that don't want to go full tubeless but want a little extra insurance

of course you need removeable cores... there are these which come to $19.5/ if you buy 4.

i also linked this in another TPU thread and in theory it's a cheap way to get a ton of TPU patches cut to size
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TPU_sealant.JPG (17.2 KB, 183 views)
Old 05-11-2024, 03:35 PM

After reading threads like the ones here and on weightweenies I only carry tpu tubes as spares. Too many inconsistencies on the QC of these types of tubes. I just run latex tubes and don't think about the 70g I could be saving!
Old 05-13-2024, 12:29 PM

Didn't read all the posts and don't know if it has been mentioned, Continental has now released TPU Tubes in various sizes said to be 7 layers thick. The valve stem is internally threaded to allow for the use of valve extensions or replacement valve cores.

Last edited by m_sasso; 05-13-2024 at 12:35 PM.
Old 05-13-2024, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_sasso View Post
Didn't read all the posts and don't know if it has been mentioned, Continental has now released TPU Tubes in various sizes said to be 7 layers thick. The valve stem is internally threaded to allow for the use of valve extensions or replacement valve cores.
Literally five posts above yours with a link to the bikerumor article.

Also mentioned that they’re somewhat limited use since not compatible with rim brakes
Old 05-13-2024, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAAD View Post
After reading threads like the ones here and on weightweenies I only carry tpu tubes as spares. Too many inconsistencies on the QC of these types of tubes. I just run latex tubes and don't think about the 70g I could be saving!
So my opinion on this is I wouldn't trust anything as a spare (emergency) that I wouldn't trust for daily use... I'm currently trying some TPUs (Cyclami, RideNow, similar) on a few bikes (my fixed gear, wife's gravel bike, kids bike's) and have generally had good luck. One had a slow leak out of the box, my son pinch flatted one banging a curb, but other than that they've been fine the last several months.

My main road bike is still Latex and I have no intent to switch. I also have a few bikes for which weight isn't a concern running butyl. A few flat kits are moving to TPU due to size/weight and ability to carry multiples. However, my main road bike which only carries one spare tube has a butyl spare and CO2 for reliability.
Old 05-13-2024, 03:31 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wunder View Post
So my opinion on this is I wouldn't trust anything as a spare (emergency) that I wouldn't trust for daily use...
I was just about to post something similar to this.. between threads on here and on the Rivendell listserve (yes, Riv riders are trying TPUs ), I can't imagine relying on a TPU as as spare at this point.. the fragility of the valvestem junction and the issues some have with CO2 (I carry a pump, but..) will keep me away at this point.. heck on my Serotta with latex tubes, I carry a butyl spare as I know latex can be finicky when you're on the side of the road..
Old 05-13-2024, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourflys View Post
heck on my Serotta with latex tubes, I carry a butyl spare as I know latex can be finicky when you're on the side of the road..
Exactly the same here. I want to be absolutely 100% sure my backup tube can get me back home, even if I have to change the tire in freezing rain on the side of the road or whatever, and to me that means butyl tube as a spare.