Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-24-2024, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raygunner View Post
Their road & gravel line-up utilizing "Vamoots" & "Routt" monikers is a little confusing.
https://www.uncovercolorado.com/nati...tional-forest/
Old 01-24-2024, 01:16 PM

Moots Butted vs Straight tubes

Doubt anyone has ridden the 33 yet but can anybody speak to the ride characteristics and maybe weight diff of Moots straight and butted tubed bikes. I have owned 2 butted moots with no straight tube comparison.

TY
Old 01-24-2024, 01:28 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dromen View Post
Doubt anyone has ridden the 33 yet but can anybody speak to the ride characteristics and maybe weight diff of Moots straight and butted tubed bikes. I have owned 2 butted moots with no straight tube comparison.

TY
I think as bike native tire sizes get/got bigger and especially ones that fit 38s, Lively DB frame is Moot, and Moots knows that.

I've not paid attention, are ti disc frames butted generally?
Old 01-24-2024, 02:10 PM

Quote:

TY
The weight difference is very minimal BUT the ride quality is the difference. The butted tubes definitely adds in a smoother ride.
One of my good friends rides a Routt 45 and I ride a Routt RSL and we have ridden tons of rides together.
We are pretty much the same height and weight so we have ridden each others bikes and he has always said that he wished he would of gotten the RSL because the ride quality which is smoother
Old 01-24-2024, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
with credit to our friend many styles, this people, this is a moots road bike:

It's not quite the cool machine shown above, but my Vamoots is still my favorite bike after owning it for 15 years. Even with small (max of 28s) on it.

Texbike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Moots -1.jpg (148.8 KB, 244 views)

Last edited by texbike; 01-24-2024 at 02:41 PM.
Old 01-24-2024, 03:04 PM

My Routt45 i believe is butted. Maybe not to the level of RSL but pretty sure not straight tubes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyBgood View Post
The weight difference is very minimal BUT the ride quality is the difference. The butted tubes definitely adds in a smoother ride.
One of my good friends rides a Routt 45 and I ride a Routt RSL and we have ridden tons of rides together.
We are pretty much the same height and weight so we have ridden each others bikes and he has always said that he wished he would of gotten the RSL because the ride quality which is smoother
Old 01-24-2024, 03:36 PM
litcrazy

I actually like the idea of bringing back a straight gauge option though the price is rich for me. To be honest, I think this will be a nice rider as a used frameset in the future. A low maintenance work horse that doesn’t need much attention.

I do have one reservation. I like the number of sizes available but my thought is that when I think about their target market, they should have a tall option as fairlight is doing.
Even with the 1cm headset extension they have historically done without going custom, this bike is a bit long and low for me. I think they would really expand their market by having options for more a more upright position built into their standard geometry options. Especially since their custom pricing sends the message that they’d rather not (former nba players excepted).
I imagine that as a 50 something rider doing 5000-7000 miles as year, I am the target audience. But I imagine I’m not alone in wanting a 2-2.5cm longer headtube in the larger sizes.
Old 01-24-2024, 03:39 PM
Vendor

That Moots 33 is one boring looking bike. I'm cool with classic bike styling, but there appear to be exactly zero distinguishable features on this frame, and the dull gray/silver titanium finish is, well, dull.
In a choice of extremes, I'd take the Louis XIV-era furniture Bastion that was posted here a few days ago over this bike any day.
Old 01-24-2024, 03:48 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Blubba View Post
That Moots 33 is one boring looking bike. I'm cool with classic bike styling, but there appear to be exactly zero distinguishable features on this frame, and the dull gray/silver titanium finish is, well, dull.
I've also always thought the Moots choice of finish an unchecked box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by litcrazy View Post
they should have a tall option as fairlight is doing.
Really, the 60CM is 625mm stack. the 62 +2CM. That's not quite Domane Endurance stack numbers. [1CM less-ish], but pretty generous.

Last edited by robt57; 01-24-2024 at 03:55 PM.
Old 01-24-2024, 03:55 PM

Quote:
My Routt45 i believe is butted. Maybe not to the level of RSL but pretty sure not straight tubes.
Yeah currently the Routt CRD and Routt RSL are the only Gravel model frames with double butted tube sets
Old 01-24-2024, 03:59 PM

That will make a great bicycle for lots of people. The huge headtube small steerer is a little rough on the eye but than can be helped out with a nice tapered spacer or headset top cap or something
Old 01-24-2024, 04:19 PM

Mine is the 2016 iteration, way before the Routt line exploded into lottso options. I think the options at the time were Routt and Routt45. Think the RSL roadie was the only model multi-butted tubes. The 2016 version def exhibits some widening/narrowing of the top tube shape. Maybe mine is special

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyBgood View Post
Yeah currently the Routt CRD and Routt RSL are the only Gravel model frames with double butted tube sets
Old 01-24-2024, 05:36 PM

That new one...yawn...

A Moots should look like this (a fellow forum members):

I've been searching for the unicorn, a 53.5 or 54, in a Vamoots SL or a Compact SL, for the better part of a really, really long time. As U2 once said, "I still haven't found what I'm looking for."

Last edited by 54ny77; 01-24-2024 at 05:49 PM.
Old 01-24-2024, 06:49 PM

dont give up. I struck that gold...I mean Ti like a few years back. CompactSL in my case.
Old 01-24-2024, 06:54 PM
Administrator

disc brakes?

my mootsie doesnt even need TWO brakes