Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-10-2024, 06:22 PM

It's interesting

The YouTube types who try Ekar or Campag whatever and comment how it is finicky and such. Total BS, solid as a rock. The WRL group is not as expensive in reality as it seemed at launch. I would not buy SRAM or Shimano electric group, but I am old school. Need any 10 speed stuff?
Old 09-10-2024, 06:22 PM

Bring back the red "Super" logo!
Old 09-10-2024, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM7Jeremy View Post
Bring back the red "Super" logo!
Yes
Old 09-10-2024, 08:54 PM
Administrator

I want a 29/45 crank.

Sounds good.
Old 09-10-2024, 09:27 PM

My 45-29 crank just arrived. I plan to use it with Super Record 12 mechanical. If the 29 causes problems with the front derailleur, I will swap the small chainring to a 32 or 34. This will be used on a gravel bike.
Old 09-11-2024, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dana_e View Post
The YouTube types who try Ekar or Campag whatever and comment how it is finicky and such. Total BS, solid as a rock. The WRL group is not as expensive in reality as it seemed at launch. I would not buy SRAM or Shimano electric group, but I am old school. Need any 10 speed stuff?
But I would say that the issues people have with EKAR - such as Ben Delaney's issue - with the shifter lever touching the brake lever - should never occur. It is a set up issue. Whoever is setting up these bikes are not doing Campagnolo any favors.

For me, EKAR has been rock solid and amazingly robust. This is a "dirt" groupset that can be used in bad conditions and last a long time. But I understand there are little things that if done wrong, will cause problems.

Last edited by vespasianus; 09-11-2024 at 08:33 AM.
Old 09-11-2024, 06:20 AM

'spensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post

By the way - anybody have an idea of what the "S" stands for?
Old 09-11-2024, 10:04 AM

The S?

Old 09-11-2024, 01:00 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespasianus View Post
But I would say that the issues people have with EKAR - such as Ben Delaney's issue - with the shifter lever touching the brake lever - should never occur. It is a set up issue. Whoever is setting up these bikes are not doing Campagnolo any favors.

For me, EKAR has been rock solid and amazingly robust. This is a "dirt" groupset that can be used in bad conditions and last a long time. But I understand there are little things that if done wrong, will cause problems.
Same for me, just what I expect from Campagnolo. I had the shift lever hang up once or twice but I knew that there was an adjustment so it was a non-issue.

The previous RCC rental bikes were equipped with Ekar and, unfortunately, that opportunity to expose S-users to Campy went quite poorly. Among the self-inflicted wounds were an issue with the Open frames (subject to recall I believe), a shortage of mechanics with experience with Campy at the shop(s) doing the maintenance, and the riders themselves when changing flats etc. (One time, leading a ride, a rider on one of the rental bikes was having all kinds of shifting issues. The RD was still in its locked non-clutch position, after I restored the clutch it shifted perfectly.) I also believe that riders whose experience is primarily with electronic have no clue about not shifting under load, it's a completely foreign concept.
Old 09-11-2024, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
Same for me, just what I expect from Campagnolo. I had the shift lever hang up once or twice but I knew that there was an adjustment so it was a non-issue.

The previous RCC rental bikes were equipped with Ekar and, unfortunately, that opportunity to expose S-users to Campy went quite poorly. Among the self-inflicted wounds were an issue with the Open frames (subject to recall I believe), a shortage of mechanics with experience with Campy at the shop(s) doing the maintenance, and the riders themselves when changing flats etc. (One time, leading a ride, a rider on one of the rental bikes was having all kinds of shifting issues. The RD was still in its locked non-clutch position, after I restored the clutch it shifted perfectly.) I also believe that riders whose experience is primarily with electronic have no clue about not shifting under load, it's a completely foreign concept.
There are a few guys on Ekar on our gravel rides and they all seems to have things sorted - but we have good Campag service center by us.

The Campag guys were out in Philadelphia today riding gravel.

Last edited by vespasianus; 09-14-2024 at 02:58 PM.
Old 09-13-2024, 03:55 PM

Would have really loved for them to recognize the industry move to providing shorter cranks. At least even 155 and 160. If not 150 as well. Men are moving to these crank lengths and frankly women are probably the largest growing market segment.
Old 09-14-2024, 10:34 AM

Any Campg rumors?

I suppose I have to wait, Chorus is sure a nice group, carbon cranks. All those Shimano groups with Alu cranks, that keeps the cost down. Nobody seems to point that out.
Old 09-15-2024, 07:28 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by dana_e View Post
I suppose I have to wait, Chorus is sure a nice group, carbon cranks. All those Shimano groups with Alu cranks, that keeps the cost down. Nobody seems to point that out.
Actually been pointed out a lot. shimano is in bed with aluminum, has been for a long time. shimano DID have a carbon crank, that lasted about 10 minutes..some carbon brake levers, I think but aluminum is where it's at for shimano. One thing that shimano does NOT do, except for number of cogs in back, is 'follow', even market demands.
Old 09-17-2024, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
I want a 29/45 crank.

Sounds good.
Speaking of this, does anyone know of a reason why the new 29/45 cranks can't be retrofit to a Campag 12 mechanical group? By my calculations with an 11-34 cassette it would yield a 22.5" low and a 107.9" high. That's a good span for me.

Last edited by Nomadmax; 09-17-2024 at 03:55 AM.
Old 09-17-2024, 12:41 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadmax View Post
Speaking of this, does anyone know of a reason why the new 29/45 cranks can't be retrofit to a Campag 12 mechanical group? By my calculations with an 11-34 cassette it would yield a 22.5" low and a 107.9" high. That's a good span for me.
(Re-)repeating myself now. Campy says "not compatible" but Ryun was kind enough to test it out for me and said it shifted fine on the stand. Only issue is if you have a FD braze-on and it won't go low enough to accommodate the 29.