Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-01-2018, 11:06 AM

I've been skinny my whole life...damn, you cycling

5'11" 170

15 pounds above my fighting weight.

"Now I can truly understand the pressure to be anorexic in the modeling industry." Friend's comment after seeing the pic below.

The irony is that it can be just as hard to put on pounds as to lose weight when you're 15 and 105 pounds. In those days, I dreamed of being a normal weight. You know, 210, like most guys in the Majors.
Old 06-01-2018, 11:18 AM

"big guy"

Currently 220 and need to drop 5-10

6'1+ a little and pretty lean at anything under 220. I've been to the mid 240s and the low 200s but do best about 215 and get asked about being sick around 210.

I don't have much for the little guys most days but man do they like having me with them on headwind rides

Keep up the good work to those who are getting smaller. It takes time, consistency and discipline.
Old 06-01-2018, 11:22 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
5'11" 170

The irony is that it can be just as hard to put on pounds as to lose weight when you're 15 and 105 pounds. In those days, I dreamed of being a normal weight. You know, 210, like most guys in the Majors.
Yeah, that's been a fight I've had most of my training/competition life. High metabolism with strenuous activity means a fight to maintain a desired weight. Sometimes it was hard to eat enough and would have to supplement with weight gain shakes.

William
Old 06-01-2018, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinchris View Post
Buncha lightweights....
Chris when I met you at Worlds in Richmond a few years back, you didn't strike me as being overly heavy. Then again, I didn't try to give you a piggy-back ride either. You must be hiding the weight somehow.

I'm 6', 212 as of this morning, and having the worst year of my life trying to lose weight. I have this delusion that I will be down to 185 by August. Given my build, 195 is more realistic.

Last edited by berserk87; 06-01-2018 at 11:24 AM.
Old 06-01-2018, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
Yeah, that's been a fight I've had most of my training/competition life. High metabolism with strenuous activity means a fight to maintain a desired weight. Sometimes it was hard to eat enough and would have to supplement with weight gain shakes.

William
Those dreaded weight gain shakes.

As a kid my pediatrician would prescribe B12 supplements. More than likely a placebo as my mom was convinced I was severely malnourished.
Old 06-01-2018, 11:34 AM

6’0” and ~215 right now. I’ve been hovering around 205 for 10 years-divorce, better cooking/eating, more riding got me down from around 220 the preceding 10 years. Work since late 2017 has conspired to reduce the riding and I did not adjust the food/beer commensurately. This coming from a low of 149 in October 1987 following 4 months of chemo and surgery for cancer. 175 prior to that. Ideal for me is high 190’s, which I will achieve as I am starting a new job which will allow for more control over ride time. Looking forward to it. BTW, 149 was unpleasant.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-01-2018, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserk87 View Post
Chris when I met you at Worlds in Richmond a few years back, you didn't strike me as being overly heavy. Then again, I didn't try to give you a piggy-back ride either. You must be hiding the weight somehow.

I'm 6', 212 as of this morning, and having the worst year of my life trying to lose weight. I have this delusion that I will be down to 185 by August. Given my build, 195 is more realistic.
Thanks. I wish I was about 45 pounds lighter.
Between having VERY heavy bones and lots of muscle, I'm not all that bad, except according to BMI, but then I would have to get to zero body fat and then cut off a leg to make BMI happy.
Old 06-01-2018, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWhale View Post
I can't thank all of you enough for your kind comments and words of encouragement. I don't post very much but I'm an avid reader of this forum and feel like I've learned so much in the time I've been here. Donevwil you're more right than you know. One of the "rewards" I've promised myself when I reach a much lower mass is an Avatar name change. Thanks again.
Hey, let us know what we can do to help.

I had a customer who started riding at about 500 pounds and when I lost touch with him, he was down to 350 pounds. Just by riding.

YOU CAN DO THIS.
Old 06-01-2018, 11:55 AM

5'8" 140 pounds. I have lost 30 lbs in the last year. Mostly cutting back on food intake. Yes I do feel lighter on the bike at this weight.
Old 06-01-2018, 11:59 AM

I am not a Dr or a nutritionist or a scientist but reading this thread made me recall an interesting study / article in the NY Times

THE SCIENCE OF FAT

“The key point is that you can lose enormous amounts of weight but you can’t get away from a basic biological reality” -- “As long as you are below your initial weight, your body is going to try to get you back.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/02/h...ight-loss.html
Old 06-01-2018, 12:07 PM
Classics Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearsom View Post
I am not a Dr or a nutritionist or a scientist but reading this thread made me recall an interesting study / article in the NY Times

THE SCIENCE OF FAT

“The key point is that you can lose enormous amounts of weight but you can’t get away from a basic biological reality” -- “As long as you are below your initial weight, your body is going to try to get you back.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/02/h...ight-loss.html

Do they understand the mechanism by which this happens? I have heard before that when you lose weight, the fat cells shrink, but do not disappear. I've often wondered if something like cryotherapy (CoolSculpting trademark) might work, after you've lost the weight, to actually kill the fat cells.

Fascinating study of how the human body works. And, in many ways, a reflection of just how different our modern world is from that in which we evolved.
Old 06-01-2018, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post

We're halfway through the year, that means you'd have to average 700-800 extra calories every single day.

If you take that as a calendar year that'd be 300-400 extra every single day.

I don't think I'm physically capable of eating 700-800 extra calories per day without feeling/getting sick.
Yeah, man, I drank it. High ABV IPA's coupled with absolutely addictive Sweet Potato Tortilla Chips from "Food Should Taste Good Brand" and it's real easy to sneak those extra calories in.

Coming from someone who did several whole30's last year and went from 240 to 168 from January to Thanksgiving.
Old 06-01-2018, 01:18 PM

Solid 5'11 and a 150-155 pounds during summer, closer to 160 during winter. Heaviest was 205 about 6 years ago.

Can't put out those max watts like everyone (not that I train for it) but I can hold 4 watts/kg pretty consistently for 20 minutes or so solo or 3.5 watts/kg for about 60 miles

I picked up cycling to lose weight and off it came pretty quickly. I'm relatively young (very young compared to most on here) so I'm setting myself up with some wiggle room for that eventual weight gain when I have kids.
Old 06-01-2018, 01:34 PM
Older Than You

At one time in my life at 6'2"I weighed a little over 300 pounds. I can remember thinking that I'd never live long enough to loose 100 pounds. Thanks to a lifestyle change and cycling I'm now around 185.

I think of myself as a fat person in a thin persons clothing. Anytime my weight starts approaching 190 I hit the panic button. I don't ever want to be heavy again. Thankfully cycling expends a lot of calories and it's fun too.
Old 06-01-2018, 02:02 PM

Another big boy checking in here at 6'4 and pushing 265lbs presently. Not too long ago I was clocking in at 220 and riding 1-200 miles a week but recent health problems (neck injury) has brought my activity to a standstill unfortunately.

Reintroducing the bike this month and hoping I am able to get back in some sort of form/fitness.