#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankles View Post
milk nose!
Old 07-30-2024, 05:36 PM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRad704 View Post
Also... Rugby is awesome to watch! forget american football.

Everyone needs to go watch the replay of the Women's 7's bronze medal match. This was SO EXCITING!
most entertaining for me so far....
Old 07-30-2024, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
Both of them were running Berd spoked wheels?
Yes, both used Berd spokes.
Old 07-30-2024, 05:46 PM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

Cyclocross has made it !!

Just announced for the 2030 Winter Games in the French Alps.

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.

Last edited by Bruce K; 07-30-2024 at 05:49 PM.
Old 07-30-2024, 06:44 PM

The open water swimming stuff is just tricky. Lots and lots of places people want to open water swim have these issues.

I did a big swim this last weekend because I was on Cape Cod and the pond there is so deep it doesn’t seem to have these issues.

But other ponds there have a lot of issues and back home Walden Pond has had issues in the past month.

I had a health issue from a long swim in VT years ago. Yuck.
Old 07-30-2024, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce K View Post

BK
Yeah and the other day they awarded Utah the winter games again. Funny as everyone I know here feels like the 2002 Olympics ruined Utah and I know of no one now that wanted them back. But the Politicians were afraid to put it to a vote like we demanded and forced it through. Have to wonder how many other places get the Olympics and don't see it as a blessing?

Snowbasin will be hosting events again. Just a few miles away.

Old 07-30-2024, 06:59 PM

"Yeah and the other day they awarded Utah the winter games again. Funny as everyone I know here feels like the 2002 Olympics ruined Utah and I know of no one now that wanted them back. But the Politicians were afraid to put it to a vote like we demanded and forced it through. Have to wonder how many other places get the Olympics and don't see it as a blessing?"

Denver was chosen as the site of the 1976 Winter Olympics but the voters refused to fund it.

https://history.denverlibrary.org/ne...-olympic-games
Old 07-30-2024, 10:20 PM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

Same with Boston (funding voted down) for what was supposed to be these current games

BK

Old 07-30-2024, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce K View Post

BK
Do you have a source? I thought that for a sport to be included in the Winter Olympics, it had to be played on either snow or ice.
Old 07-30-2024, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
Yeah and the other day they awarded Utah the winter games again. Funny as everyone I know here feels like the 2002 Olympics ruined Utah and I know of no one now that wanted them back. But the Politicians were afraid to put it to a vote like we demanded and forced it through. Have to wonder how many other places get the Olympics and don't see it as a blessing?

Snowbasin will be hosting events again. Just a few miles away.

Despite their efforts, the 1998 Games went to Nagano, Japan, in a 46-to-42 vote. Many felt the reason was that the US had recently been awarded the 1996 Summer Olympics in Atlanta, Georgia. Others, including Welch, believed it was because Nagano had better wined and dined the officials.[3] A Salt Lake Olympic Bid Committee member complained about competing with the Japanese bid committee for the 1998 Olympic Winter Games: "We were giving out saltwater taffy and cowboy hats, and they were giving out computers. IOC members who came to inspect Nagano were put up in ritzy hot spring resorts, where they washed down expensive sushi with sake poured by kimono-clad geisha. They went home laden with souvenir gifts and expensive paintings."[4]

The Nagano Olympic bid committee had spent approximately $14 million on entertaining the 62 IOC Members and many of their companions. The precise figures are not known since Nagano destroyed the financial records after the IOC asked that the entertainment expenditures not be made public.[5] The Melbourne bid committee for the 1996 Summer Olympics discovered the quid pro quo expectations of IOC delegates when they received requests from six African IOC delegates for new cars and sexual favors from local brothels.[6] The requests were denied and the 1996 Summer Olympics went to Atlanta.

More than $16 million was spent on Utah's Olympic bidding. The high costs related to bringing IOC Members to Salt Lake City to see the venues proposed for the Games. This was a priority for the Bid Committee and more than 70 of the 100 Members of the IOC personally visited the city at the Bid Committee's expense. Community Leaders were fully behind the bid. Opportunities were created by Spencer Eccles, Salt Lake Olympic Bid Committee Executive Board Member, for IOC family members to be employed at First Security Corporation Bank. Jim Jardine, Legal Advisor to the Bid Committee, assisted the relatives of IOC Members in gaining admission to the University of Utah, and Intermountain Health Care made medical facilities and treatment available to IOC Members during their visits.

Jon Huntsman, a committee leader, hosted Juan Antonio Samaranch at his lavish Park City home and together with Tom Welch presented President Samaranch with a commemorative Browning Pistol.
Old 07-31-2024, 06:38 AM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

Flamme red -

Cyclocross has been raced on/with snow quite a bit given that the season runs into January.

I would personally have preferred it in the summer games with sand and mud but winter will be a challenge with snow and (probably) mud

BK

Old 07-31-2024, 07:33 AM

The triathlon mess is... well... messy.

I used to race triathlon (locally, I was never a strong swimmer) and had a few convert to duathlon due to water quality (local small lakes get funky after heavy rain - and also get lots of tree limbs and things, so it's not just chemical nasties). Every time that happened, I'd do MUCH better, for the reasons mentioned above. These were non-draft events, so getting out of the water after the leaders didn't hurt like it does in draft-legal Olympic events, but being able to skip the swim completely was a massive boon the more running-focused athletes, myself included.

The decision to race in the Seine was ballsy, for sure. It wasn't remotely swimmable 3-4 years ago. And they pumped billions into clean-up efforts. Probably never should have been scheduled, but at the same time, without the commitment to clean it for the Olympics, it might never have been cleaned. Hopefully, the cleaner water is sustainable and not just a one-and-done. At least then the locals will benefit.
Old 07-31-2024, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair View Post

I used to race triathlon (locally, I was never a strong swimmer) and had a few convert to duathlon due to water quality (local small lakes get funky after heavy rain - and also get lots of tree limbs and things, so it's not just chemical nasties). Every time that happened, I'd do MUCH better, for the reasons mentioned above. These were non-draft events, so getting out of the water after the leaders didn't hurt like it does in draft-legal Olympic events, but being able to skip the swim completely was a massive boon the more running-focused athletes, myself included.

The decision to race in the Seine was ballsy, for sure. It wasn't remotely swimmable 3-4 years ago. And they pumped billions into clean-up efforts. Probably never should have been scheduled, but at the same time, without the commitment to clean it for the Olympics, it might never have been cleaned. Hopefully, the cleaner water is sustainable and not just a one-and-done. At least then the locals will benefit.
That's really funny !
Old 07-31-2024, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair View Post

Are you able to watch live? I'm not seeing Triathlon on peacock. :/
Old 07-31-2024, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRad704 View Post
Are you able to watch live? I'm not seeing Triathlon on peacock. :/
The replays are there now (on the website, at least). I didn't try to view live - I was in bed. There does seem to be a gap of an hour or two between the end of live coverage and the availability of the replay.