Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-13-2024, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefantino View Post
The farce is strong in the "how can you ride 25s?" and "how can you ride rim brakes?" crowds.
Bigly agree. The ride quality and compliance of my steel Pinarello is more than sufficient. Just looking at current trends, whether for added compliance or usability, it’s the modern carbon frames that *seem* to “require” the larger volume tires.
Old 05-13-2024, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post

Realistically there is almost no one under 50 who remembers this era. I'm going to be 47 in a couple months. I never owned a nice steel road bike, my first nice road bike was already into the aluminum era.

You owe it to yourself to try one. I've had a whole bunch of bikes over the years, from modern carbon/aero stuff to vintage Pog's. One that stays in regular rotation now is an excell tubed Giordana from the 90's. Its totally modern rim brake stuff-SR eps and light carbon bars and brakes. Every time I get on it I'm reminded of how simply nice light steel designed by someone with Pegoretti's skill can be. Is it as fast as a new Supersix? Nope, but when out solo that doesn't matter, and you can either push yourself or just groove. I find that the newer stuff isn't as rewarding unless you're always hard on the gas.
Old 05-13-2024, 11:05 AM

At least your friend is not this guy-- asking $6,000 for a "NOS' Tommo of a similar generation--he may be waiting awhile on that one:
https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/...741439802.html

Look585 recently posted that bargain Tommo in the wtb thread for a 56/57cm frame, and it sort of ignited my Itailian itch again (although his was sold).

Poking around, I found a long threat on Bike Forums called Tommasini Lounge, started by thirdgenbird (and some others who post here contributed as well)--lots of great info and pictures:
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ni-lounge.html

I'm probably the ideal market for your friend's bike--I still love the nimbleness and feel of a good steel frame on narrow tires--not that I don't like the CF bikes I own, but there is definitely a je ne sais quoi about the ride, and it is not just nostalgia. I definitely miss the Colnago Tecnos that I sold (too large)...

The optimist in me thinks like my friend Tyler Cowen, who always says 'the demand curve slopes downward'--I think relative pricing will save steel frames--at some point they will look even cheaper compared to CF, and will likely still have more appeal than a lot of the CF frames that look dated already...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tommo.jpg (121.5 KB, 268 views)

Last edited by paredown; 05-13-2024 at 11:13 AM.
Old 05-13-2024, 11:13 AM
Back At It!

two examples of where the steel bike market is right now..

two years ago I bought a very good condition Couer d'Acier (2007 I think) with Campy Triple on it for $500, with two extra cassettes and some other goodies like extra cables.. guy said it had sat on Craigslist for a month and had a couple tire kickers, but nothing else.. bike is a 54cm, so not an odd size..

just last month I bought the stainless steel Anderson here on PL for $1,500 with 11sp mech SRAM Red.. maybe the seller underpriced, but still..

I think we are in a spot where only those who know are interested in any steel bike and esp anything that doesn't have disc brakes (steel or not).. and those of us "who know" seem to be veering away to a point as well.. I will take myself as an example.. I plan to get another gravel/all road bike at some point (the Revolt didn't work out) and, for obvious reasons, I can't see buying anything that doesn't have disc brakes and takes a large tire.. I can fit a 30mm Corsa on my Anderson, but just barely (and it actually measures out around ~29mm).. I just can't see a market for bikes that take less than a 28mm and even then..

a steel, rim-brake bike will need to be 1. special to me in some way and 2. be cheap for me to even consider buying it.. I don't have the funds or space to have a collection that sits around and collects dust..

at least that's my .02..
Old 05-13-2024, 11:21 AM

I think a lot of people still interested in vintage bikes run into the challenge of riding geometry suited for their 20 yr old body with their current 50-80 yr old body. Because of this, the bikes have become art opposed to a tool. I think that's why you still see a market for the highest of high end vintage bikes, but a very soft market for anything else.
Old 05-13-2024, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadmax View Post
I have a fleet of steel bikes, and two modern titanium models as well. I'm at the point in my life where it doesn't matter what they sell for, when they do. I still ride my steel bikes but the majority of my miles are on a modern Litespeed. As I get closer to the end of life, what my steel bikes sell for is secondary to WHO they will sell to. I've only been a user and caretaker of these machines. No one will be able to buy one (while I'm alive) that doesn't have that same ethos.
I agree with you, I own 8 steel bikes of various years, from 77 to 2023 (the frame is 2023, all the parts are 2019 which were transferred to the 23 frame after a warranty issue with the frame), and I have Lynskey TI bike. Of all the bikes I love riding that Lynskey, it rides wonderfully smooth, but I still get on the steel bikes. The newest steel bike is for touring and bike camping on, and I use another steel bike when I go RV camping. The rest get used whenever I'm in the mood, but the oldest one is only going to be ridden maybe twice a year to keep the mileage low on it.
Old 05-13-2024, 11:23 AM

Having come late to the quality 'vintage' bike party, I can see a decline in prices during the past several years. there are questions I have (please chime in if you know):

- How robust is the demand for smaller shop new custom steel/Ti bikes, and

- What is the actual demand vs previous (not prices, but actual numbers sold) for older quality bikes?

- How much effect does the _ _ _ _ _ economy have on 'more toys' purchasing power?

Like many, I'm not getting any younger and finally convinced myself to get what I wanted - and get rid of 'clutter'. Not much interest in 'collector' bikes, although I respect those that restore them.

Yep, I like fatter tires for comfort and more modern groupsets. Now that I've got 30mm rear/32mm front on both my CSI and Legend ST, I'm happy. Also have a Ti mountain bike that does road/gravel work well, and fits great. Don't care what they will eventually sell for, as their total cost is a few multiples of pizza cash. OK, several-few multiples.
Old 05-13-2024, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russd32 View Post
I think a lot of people still interested in vintage bikes run into the challenge of riding geometry suited for their 20 yr old body with their current 50-80 yr old body. Because of this, the bikes have become art opposed to a tool. I think that's why you still see a market for the highest of high end vintage bikes, but a very soft market for anything else.
Ditto along with a prior posting - I'm tall but all legs and less torso and all of my former steel bikes never quite fit as finding a larger frame with a shorter top tube was rare...
Old 05-13-2024, 11:49 AM
Randomhead

State College township has a trash contract that allows you to put out bulk trash every week (ending next year, I expect crying). The lbs owner came to work one time with a very high-end late '70s road bike, Super Record, pantographed, etc. Got it out of someone's trash. I should take a tour around town, it's bulk trash for us this week.
Old 05-13-2024, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paredown View Post
At least your friend is not this guy-- asking $6,000 for a "NOS' Tommo of a similar generation--he may be waiting awhile on that one:
https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/...741439802.html

Look585 recently posted that bargain Tommo in the wtb thread for a 56/57cm frame, and it sort of ignited my Itailian itch again (although his was sold).

Poking around, I found a long threat on Bike Forums called Tommasini Lounge, started by thirdgenbird (and some others who post here contributed as well)--lots of great info and pictures:
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ni-lounge.html

I'm probably the ideal market for your friend's bike--I still love the nimbleness and feel of a good steel frame on narrow tires--not that I don't like the CF bikes I own, but there is definitely a je ne sais quoi about the ride, and it is not just nostalgia. I definitely miss the Colnago Tecnos that I sold (too large)...

The optimist in me thinks like my friend Tyler Cowen, who always says 'the demand curve slopes downward'--I think relative pricing will save steel frames--at some point they will look even cheaper compared to CF, and will likely still have more appeal than a lot of the CF frames that look dated already...

I loved the ride of all three of my former frames...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/3zW8omoFwkXdQb5H6
Old 05-13-2024, 11:55 AM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by merckx View Post
the bicycle … was once a simple, beautiful, economical machine.
My thinking as well. Nothing against the performance of electronic shifting, disc brakes, internally routed cables, etc. -- if you're enjoying yourself turning the cranks, good for you. Personally, I like knowing that I can remedy pretty much anything that goes awry, and find beauty and elegance in that simplicity.

To the thread topic, I don't delude myself that when it comes time to sell my Gios I'll get anything near what I think it's worth (forget about sentimental value), will just hope that there's someone who will appreciate and enjoy it.
Old 05-13-2024, 12:06 PM
Administrator

My current "mid gravel" bike is 40 years old and still running strong

Old 05-13-2024, 12:23 PM

Like ^^^^
Old 05-13-2024, 12:30 PM
Robin (she/her)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post

To the thread topic, I don't delude myself that when it comes time to sell my Gios I'll get anything near what I think it's worth (forget about sentimental value), will just hope that there's someone who will appreciate and enjoy it.
i need to adopt your attitude! i bought a C40 frame and fork 1.5 years ago for $1000! i see a PLer just sold one for $400

the C40 is a keeper but was eying two other bikes to maybe sell. but being a Yankee i will prob be buried with them rather than sell them cheap! lol
Old 05-13-2024, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merckx View Post

I fully understand that I am an outlier, and my age may be the overriding factor that determines my interest in specific machines, but I also believe that we've let the bicycle get away from us. It was once a simple, beautiful, economical machine.
This resonates for me. I will add that I really don’t care what has happened to the resale value of any of my bikes as they are all under the ownership of the person who values them the most.

One other point that I would like to make is that the “benefits” of much of the latest “technology” is SO oversold by heavy marketing. Good bikes have been really good and efficient for a very long time. Admittedly, there have been quite a few developments that have greatly benefitted the convenience and user-friendliness of the machines, but even developments like clipless pedals and integrated shifting do nothing to improve the efficiency of moving the bicycle forward by a given level of power. When I go back and forth between my older steel machines from the 1980s-1990s and my more modern machines with twice as many gears and carbon fiber everywhere, what started as disappointment at how small the performance difference was has now become skepticism or cynicism at the various claims of improved performance. In the end, it all comes down to perception, and older bikes are very much looked upon as outdated and outmoded and their value in the market reflects that perception.