Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-21-2024, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
This is embarrassing... but...

I was riding on a bike trail a couple of weeks ago and looked down to adjust my new bike computer. When I looked back up I was a split second away from running into an overgrown hedge that was almost taking up my entire lane of travel. I hit it and fell into it in slow motion.

Then when getting up, I was overgeared and didn't manage to full clip in so I fell down again about 2 inches from where I had just fallen down.

I went home and had a beer that night lol.

for sharing this one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-21-2024, 08:58 PM

I was riding two bikes at once (just pedal slowly and hold the stem of the other bike) down a hill and I hit a bump and lost control of the bike I was guiding and I wiped out

A lady on the sidewalk came to see how I was doing and the look of confusion on her face was priceless

She must’ve thought that the other cyclist had spontaneously combusted or something

I’m giggling now as I type this, it is such a vivid memory
Old 08-21-2024, 10:28 PM

One time I was riding down the 1 south of Carpinteria. Found a flat of six 1/2 gallon poinsettias on the side of the highway, they looked great but must have flown out of a truck or something. I rigged up a way to carry them the rest of the way home which was about 15 miles with my spare tube as a shoulder strap and gave them to friends.

Another time I was riding home at about 2am out in the middle of nowhere through some fields when I saw a guy standing perfectly still under a street lap wearing a guerrilla mask. He was at a choke point in the road so I kind of had to ride right past him or take a long detour so I rode right past him. He never moved.

One time I went to unclip and the the cleat and half of the sole of my shoe stayed on the pedal.

I rode over a rock and it shot out sideways and made a really loud noise when it hit the car right next to me. I looked at them, they looked at me, I just made a confused face and kept riding.

Riding down a mountain road with a friend late at night and saw some lights off the side of the road, stopped and looked over the side and found a car stuck in some trees . We worked our way down carefully as it was very steep and found the car to be empty but with all the interior lights and exterior lights still on. I guess the person had already left the scene but it was miles to any place with shelter.

Last edited by bicycletricycle; 08-21-2024 at 10:40 PM.
Old 08-21-2024, 10:32 PM

I crashed hard once doing that trick. The handlebars of the two bikes touched and the next thing I know I was being thrown to the ground. No cars around but plenty of SF tourists looking at me confused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet sanchez View Post
I was riding two bikes at once (just pedal slowly and hold the stem of the other bike) down a hill and I hit a bump and lost control of the bike I was guiding and I wiped out

A lady on the sidewalk came to see how I was doing and the look of confusion on her face was priceless

She must’ve thought that the other cyclist had spontaneously combusted or something

I’m giggling now as I type this, it is such a vivid memory
Old 08-21-2024, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker72 View Post
Through many years of riding I've picked up 2 cell phones, 3 billfolds, misc. small tools and money. Mostly small change but occasionally I'll find a dollar bill.

Riding home one day I turned on to a street I hadn't been on in years. I ride past what looks like a bill of some denomination. I turned around and picked up a $100.
I was walking my dog (JWA, I guess) one sunday morning in my neighborhood. At the corner of my street, in a common area not really near anything, I saw some money. A buck I figured. Picked it up. Looked over, saw some more. And more. And...in total, $490 scattered. I gathered it up, watched for notices, signs, Nextdoor postings about lost cash. Asked around the neighbors. Told folks I found money, just tell me how much you lost. Nothing for weeks. Ok. Thanks?
Old 08-21-2024, 11:29 PM

I was riding home from a group ride with a friend. We stopped at a light next to a car full of cute girls - one hangs out of the window and yells “nice legs!” My friend said “thank you” and she replied,”not you - him!” while pointing at me. 😂
Old 08-22-2024, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendRider View Post
I was riding home from a group ride with a friend. We stopped at a light next to a car full of cute girls - one hangs out of the window and yells “nice legs!” My friend said “thank you” and she replied,”not you - him!” while pointing at me. 😂
User name checks out
Old 08-22-2024, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
Good thing the road back to the car was downhill!
Yeah

On the plus side I got 1000m of singletrack climbing in before noon. Even without a good descent I call that a good day
Old 08-22-2024, 01:22 AM
Boeuf Chane

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendRider View Post
Many years ago some girls in a VW Bug convertible passed me and yelled "Go Lance!" That was before his fall from grace, so I took it as a compliment.
Old 08-22-2024, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
I was walking my dog (JWA, I guess) one sunday morning in my neighborhood. At the corner of my street, in a common area not really near anything, I saw some money. A buck I figured. Picked it up. Looked over, saw some more. And more. And...in total, $490 scattered. I gathered it up, watched for notices, signs, Nextdoor postings about lost cash. Asked around the neighbors. Told folks I found money, just tell me how much you lost. Nothing for weeks. Ok. Thanks?
nice!
for some reason .. this immediately reminds me of .. "no country for old men"
Old 08-22-2024, 01:41 AM
Boeuf Chane

Quote:
Originally Posted by caneye View Post
nice!
for some reason .. this immediately reminds me of .. "no country for old men"
What's the most you ever lost on a coin toss?
Old 08-22-2024, 04:12 AM

Before I had my drivers license I rode my bike to a rich place where I mowed lawns for their association. One day riding back home one of the guys with a drivers license pulled alongside in his VW bug and told me to grab the door handle, which I did. All was well while we were on the twisty road, but when we got to the straight causeway and he accelerated my front end developed a wobble and down I went. That was the second of three times I broke my left wrist. Got a fair amount of road bits stuck in me as well, which had to be picked out.
Old 08-22-2024, 04:51 AM

Anybody remember Weyless hubs from the 1970s? They were known for sealed bearings (rare at the time), light weight, and highly polished.

I was a teenager then, and my buddy and I rode our bikes the ten miles or so to the bike shop for whatever reason. Inside the shop, some guy had just purchased a pair of Weyless hubs and left mere seconds before we did.

With his windows down he exited the parking lot onto the road and a gust of wind must have picked up the open box the hubs were in and sucked them out the window, landing on the busy road! I thought for sure they would have been flattened by a passing car. I don't think the driver had a clue what happened because he never stopped.

We picked up the hubs and brought them back into the store, telling them what we just witnessed.
Old 08-22-2024, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelbackkid View Post
Someone threw half a bushel of apples at me while I was riding Rt 2 through Grand Isle in Vermont. Knocked me clear off the bike into the ditch.

When the shock subsided I realized I was quite hungry. Sat there and ate damn near half the bag while pondering the absurdity of it all.
I was riding outside of Winooski many years ago after I finished at UVM with a with a college friend who had become a Navy Seal (now long retired). A kid in an old light blue Mustang convertible threw an Apple that hit my friend in the back of the head. As we rode into Winooski a few minutes later, the car was stopped at a traffic light. The kid who was driving pissed his pants when my friend lifted the kid out of the car by the neck.
Old 08-22-2024, 06:44 AM

Actually pissed their pants? Always wondered if people actually do piss their pants when they are afraid or whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg21 View Post
I was riding outside of Winooski many years ago after I finished at UVM with a with a college friend who had become a Navy Seal (now long retired). A kid in an old light blue Mustang convertible threw an Apple that hit my friend in the back of the head. As we rode into Winooski a few minutes later, the car was stopped at a traffic light. The kid who was driving pissed his pants when my friend lifted the kid out of the car by the neck.