Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-29-2024, 09:54 AM

We had a couple of front loaders in the last house - a Maytag that lasted about 15 years, then an LG for about 5 before we moved. In the new house we inherited a vintage Maytag dryer and Whirlpool top-loader washer. Literally the same type we had in the house as a kid.

For longevity and repairability the vintage stuff can't be beat. For ease of use, the case isn't so clear-cut. The dryer started making noise and had it repaired and had them evaluate the washer while they were there as we have difficulty keeping it balanced (family of 5 - we do a ton of laundry). Nothing was found to be wrong - just the nature of the design. So while the LG front loader did have the mold/moisture issue that even leaving the front door open didn't fully solve - it actually made doing the laundry a lot less of a chore. I'm certain my wife will insist on another front-loader when it comes time to replace it.
Old 05-29-2024, 10:09 AM

I have a stacked LG washer/dryer-deal of the century, happened to be in Lowes when they put 2 sets out @ $500 ( retail is 4x that) - ordered by a contractor "by mistake" as he needed electric dryer and this was gas.
It is very efficient and has been reliable but its only 4 years old. The smaller footprint is great. It has zillions of wash options but we normally only use a couple, and its not complicated as the unusual modes are accessed through an app. My only complaint is that the moisture sensor on the dryer sometime doesn't work for larger items like comforters, but timed dry takes care of that.
Old 05-29-2024, 10:53 AM
v a n i l l a

My LG front loader performs great. Clothes clean substantially better than a top loader and dry faster since the spin speed extracts more water. It's not a big deal to leave it open to air out.

During pandemic the drain pump failed - took awhile to find the part and was able to replace on my own after watching a few YouTube's to see how the top and front come off

One thing I cannot recommend is the pedestal washer base.
Seems like a good idea to have a small washer but it has to be fully open to properly air out. Important to check the outlet has sufficient amperage as well.
Old 05-29-2024, 11:00 AM

I am in the same situation, old Kenmore washer which lasted a long time but was a crappy washer just died. Seems like Samsung and LG get the best reviews.
Speed Queen is appealing for longevity but reading about how it can destroy your clothes is not inspiring. Especially expensive cycling clothes which we do put in mesh bags. It seems that not having an agitator would be gentler on the clothes. If we get Samsung or LG maybe just have to figure on getting a new one every five years or so.
Old 05-29-2024, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
My LG front loader performs great. Clothes clean substantially better than a top loader and dry faster since the spin speed extracts more water. It's not a big deal to leave it open to air out.

During pandemic the drain pump failed - took awhile to find the part and was able to replace on my own after watching a few YouTube's to see how the top and front come off

One thing I cannot recommend is the pedestal washer base.
Seems like a good idea to have a small washer but it has to be fully open to properly air out. Important to check the outlet has sufficient amperage as well.
Our front load LG washer/dryer have been great, and have lasted for over 20+ years, probably more, I don't remember anymore. A couple of months ago, the washer stopped filling on the wash cycle. Through some internet research I found out that the most likely problem was a faulty hot water inlet valve. I found a very inexpensive replacement part, about $20, and I was able to easily replace it myself. It was worth a try because calling a service tech would probably have cost me too much money for such an old machine. I would have simply bought new machines instead. Anyway, the fix worked and we're back in business with that old LG washer.

Despite all that, we are still considering buying a new set of LG machines sometime soon, and I was wondering why you don't recommend a pedestal base? The wife wants the base because she doesn't want to have to bend down as far as she has to know with our machines with no base.

Thanks.

Last edited by warren128; 05-29-2024 at 12:01 PM.
Old 05-29-2024, 11:42 AM

We bought this Samsung washer a year ago and so far no complaints. It works well and it gets the clothes clean.
https://www.samsung.com/us/home-appl...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 05-29-2024, 12:17 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren128 View Post
Despite all that, we are still considering buying a new set of LG machines sometime soon, and I was wondering why you don't recommend a pedestal base? The wife wants the base because she doesn't want to have to bend down as far as she has to know with our machines with no base. Thanks.
Get the pedestal base, absolutely. no bending.

I am saying no to the pedestal washer in lieu of the pedestal base
Old 05-29-2024, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
Get the pedestal base, absolutely. no bending.

I am saying no to the pedestal washer in lieu of the pedestal base
Ah, thanks for the clarification
Old 05-29-2024, 01:57 PM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
Originally Posted by trener1 View Post
Anyone shop around lately? any recommendations?.
We just bought a new LG about two months ago. So far so good.
Old 05-29-2024, 09:44 PM

Another SpeedQueen vote. Had them in our last house and never had an issue. We had Samsung front load set we bought with the house we’re in now and the washer died. Replaced the set with front loading SpeedQueens and should be set until we’re done here. The washer is great but the dryer is really good compared to the Samsung. Larger drum and larger items don’t ball up and dry quicker.
They were expensive but buy once, cry once.
Old 05-30-2024, 10:44 AM

This thread was really timely. We have been without a washer for a few weeks and my wife has been doing laundry at my daughter's and MIL house which is getting old. We decided also to replace the 40 year old linoleum floor in the laundry room with ceramic tile to match the adjacent rooms. I ripped out the linoleum and spent several agonizing days scraping glue off the cement. At that point I decided my body was not up to the task and hired a professional to finish it. We went to an appliance store yesterday and looked at washers. We asked about the Speed Queen and the salesman said yes they are the best in terms of reliability. It was obvious that when comparing to LG and Samsung the materials where much thicker and robust. WE\e decided to go with the TC5 with the old fashion rotary knobs instead of the TR7 with the fancy membrane switch panel which had many more wash options. My wife said the TC5 did everything we need and I read it is gentler on the clothes. I probably would have ended up with LG or Samsung if I did not read this thread so thanks.
Old 05-30-2024, 11:11 AM

Good choice.

And, when it comes to appliances in general, Samsung should be avoided like the plague!!!
Old 05-30-2024, 11:21 AM

when we built our house and were picking out appliances I remember asking the appliance salesman who made the best washers and he said without a doubt SpeedQueen...He said the nothing compared to them but they did not sell well because they were too basic. He said people want a bunch of features that they actually never end up using and all have mother boards that fail within 3-5 years at best. I tried to get my wife to go with SpeedQueen but nope had to have all those silly features....
Old 05-30-2024, 11:23 AM

When I moved into my house 4 1/2 years ago I wanted to make do with the existing Kenmore things that were pretty old. It became clear immediately that I needed to replace them and I went to the local appliance store and asked the question that every sales person loves: “If money is not an obstacle, what’s the best washer and drier to buy”. Without hesitation he answered, “Speed Queen”.

So that’s what I got.

I got a front loading washer, which seems to do a nice job but during the spin cycle isn’t balanced perfectly and sometimes it shakes the whole machine. I did a warranty claim on it and the technician adjusted the feet as he said it wasn’t perfectly sitting on the floor. That helped but it’s still imperfect.

That said, it’s been a reliable machine otherwise.

I always leave the door open and I remove the detergent tray so the whole thing can ventilate and stay dry. But I still have some mold in the lower part of the door seal. It’s annoying. But having the leave the whole thing open is a PITA. I think if I did it again I’d get a top loader but I’d still get Speed Queen. I would also leave that open but that door isn’t in the way like the front loader is.
Old 05-30-2024, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgauthier View Post
If you want the new one to last 19+ years, there is only one.

Speed Queen: +1000.

You want the "old school" direct drive TC5 washer and matching dryer. Remember the washing machine your mother had decades ago that was built like a tank and worked perfectly for 30 years? The TC5 is that machine.

The TC5 is a top loader though. I suggest you go with it anyway. It's that good.

If you want to have some fun, there is a passionate (yes, passionate) Speed Queen fan base on the internet. Just Google around and you will find it. This YouTube video describes the fan base and the TC5 succinctly, starting at 2:10: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRgbfxJ8MTQ

You won't find Speed Queen at the big box stores. You'll need to go to a "real" appliance store. This is exactly like going to a "real" bike store when you want a serious bike.
I was sold on one of those last year but my wife really wanted the 2 and 1 Whirlpool with all the bells and whistles, digital display and useless Internet hookup. One year and one week after the warranty is up it's broken.