Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-18-2024, 09:50 AM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenbike View Post
I don’t own a Riv either but have a cheap commuter bike in similar Riv style with down tube shifters, triple, flat pedals and a basket. At times I’ve gotten pretty burnt out with biking and there’s something to be said about hopping on the bike with Crocs and gym shorts, a tool bag and snacks strapped in the basket and just go for a few mile cruise around. It brings me the same joy and reminds me why I got into cycling as a kid. You certainly don’t need Rivendell to experience that but much of what that article discusses I feel is a nice reminder of the utility of bikes beyond racing and Strava.
I agree. I may get ostracized for this 😅 but at times, I love hopping on my wife’s e-bike and going for a cruise. Flip flops, t shirt (and helmet), put it on turbo and zip around.
Old 09-18-2024, 09:58 AM

I never could get this mentality of not buying a good product just because you don't like the CEO.
Old 09-18-2024, 10:26 AM
Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
I never could get this mentality of not buying a good product just because you don't like the CEO.
In a market with so many good products, there are plenty of other options. Its not like someone is going without and unable to ride how they want.
Old 09-18-2024, 10:35 AM
Meh

Quote:
As others have pointed out above, Grant is the product.
Old 09-18-2024, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB View Post
As others have pointed out above, Grant is the product.
Are you also buying a Mac for Steve Jobs, or PC for Bill Gates?

How about a Serotta for Ben Serotta?

At least Rivendell doesn’t have the company owners name on the side.
Old 09-18-2024, 11:09 AM
Meh

Quote:
Are you also buying a Mac for Steve Jobs, or PC for Bill Gates?

How about a Serotta for Ben Serotta?

At least Rivendell doesn’t have the company owners name on the side.
Ha ha, no. This one is not like the other ones.
Old 09-18-2024, 11:20 AM

It’s interesting to me that now that the industry is dominated big companies/corporations the few small companies that are closely identified with an individual/personality seem to be polarizing. There was a time that the industry (at least the top end of it) was dominated by smaller companies with a character in charge….Campagnolo with Tullio and then Valentino…Simplex with Lucien Juy…..Mavic with Bruno Gormand….etc….The only person in the industry that I can think of that generates as many polarizing opinions as Grant Peterson is Jan Heine. I have been a customer for the occasional small item from both of those companies, but never bought the full lifestyle package. I never felt the need for that as I have plenty of idiosyncrasies and strong opinions of my own.
Old 09-18-2024, 11:29 AM
Meh

A lot of people only buy into half the package. Bikesnob of all people pointed out that there's like a whole cottage industry devoted to selling Rivendells-but-with-disc-brakes (e.g. Crust). I guess enough people like what Grant is selling but don't share his fondness for fork shudder.
Old 09-18-2024, 11:32 AM

I was going to mention Jan somehow seems similar, but Jan is also a certified fast guy/hard man and so is a little different.

I liked the comparison with Jeff Jones but Jones doesn’t seem as polarizing, perhaps just because he doesn’t make road bike and road bikes are where things seem to get polarized so easily.

I have had a Jones bar but it didn’t work right on the bike because of the bike geo. (Really my mistake) I’ve never seen one of his bikes but sure would love to try one. I don’t think I could get myself to just order one online but if I rode one I think I’d be pretty into it.
Old 09-18-2024, 11:35 AM

Quote:
I don’t own a Riv either but have a cheap commuter bike in similar Riv style with down tube shifters, triple, flat pedals and a basket. At times I’ve gotten pretty burnt out with biking and there’s something to be said about hopping on the bike with Crocs and gym shorts, a tool bag and snacks strapped in the basket and just go for a few mile cruise around. It brings me the same joy and reminds me why I got into cycling as a kid. You certainly don’t need Rivendell to experience that but much of what that article discusses I feel is a nice reminder of the utility of bikes beyond racing and Strava.
I got a kick out of the article mentioning Nashbar because I still have my '82 Nashbar that my brother bought out of the catalog and built up and rode for years. It's a touring bike, Nashbar XC, still has most of the original components. It's my Townie bike.

Fact of the matter is He gripes about 'racers' ruining the industry but I would bet that the far majority of bikes sold are not racing bikes. Of course now they are mostly e-bikes and those are definitely townie road bikes. So really it's kind of a mythical beef that he has.
Old 09-18-2024, 11:36 AM
Back At It!

Quote:
I guess enough people like what Grant is selling but don't share his fondness for fork shudder.
never had an ounce of shudder on any of the three Rivs I've owned/own.. I certainly have on pre-disc cross bikes though.. all with carbon forks FWIW.. also never had shudder on my Anderson with the stainless steel fork (caliper brake).. to be fair, I've only had caliper brake Rivs..
Old 09-18-2024, 11:39 AM

Quote:
I had the opposite perspective. I think the CEO is an interesting guy, but the bikes he sells look awful.
Old 09-18-2024, 11:41 AM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
I got a kick out of the article mentioning Nashbar because I still have my '82 Nashbar that my brother bought out of the catalog and built up and rode for years. It's a touring bike, Nashbar XC, still has most of the original components. It's my Townie bike.

Fact of the matter is He gripes about 'racers' ruining the industry but I would bet that the far majority of bikes sold are not racing bikes. Of course now they are mostly e-bikes and those are definitely townie road bikes. So really it's kind of a mythical beef that he has.
are you really trying to say the majority of road bikes sold in the last 20 yrs have NOT been "racing bikes"? Even if you throw in MTBs, I would say a large number are very similar to what the Pros race on.. look at how gravel bikes are getting more and more "long and low".. I would agree there have been a TON of e-bikes sold, but I would wonder the number of e-bikes sold through a reputable LBS vs non e-bikes.. not sure Riv is competing with the $500 e-bike from Amazon or xxx store..
Old 09-18-2024, 11:42 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourflys View Post
never had an ounce of shudder on any of the three Rivs I've owned/own.. I certainly have on pre-disc cross bikes though.. all with carbon forks FWIW.. also never had shudder on my Anderson with the stainless steel fork (caliper brake).. to be fair, I've only had caliper brake Rivs..
It was a joke? Hence the emoticon?
Old 09-18-2024, 11:45 AM

Quote:
A lot of people only buy into half the package. Bikesnob of all people pointed out that there's like a whole cottage industry devoted to selling Rivendells-but-with-disc-brakes (e.g. Crust). I guess enough people like what Grant is selling but don't share his fondness for fork shudder.
In fairness to Crust specifically, I don't think that's an accurate description.