Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-26-2018, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekonick View Post
Saab - how does it compare to the computrainer? I just don't see paying the monthly Zwift premium when I *think* the computrainer software gives a similar experience... minus the group ride...

Am I wrong?
I used a Computrainer for a long time and there's no comparison. It's hard to overstate the value of having "real people" on the course at the same time. I'm not really all that competitive in real life and even on Zwift I mostly compete against my own PR's for sprints/climbs/etc., but it's also rather fun to see if you can catch that guy in front of you, keep him/her from re-passing, etc.

I used the "real course videos" on Computrainer and it's just not the same. The best one that I used was the Wisconsin Ironman and while it faithfully reproduced the route the other "riders" on the route were totally unrealistic. If there's someone in front of you and you accelerate hard they stay in front of you 'cause that's just how the video was shot for that part of the course.

No comparison IMHO. I used to be counting the seconds until I was done on the Computrainer whereas I've ridden 2 hours on Zwift without any problem.

All things considered, I'd rather be riding outside but when you can't Zwift is a pretty good alternative.
Old 11-26-2018, 07:40 PM
tailgunning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
I just invested in an interactive trainer today. Once it arrives can I just use my Samsung smart TV to run zwift or is there more to it?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
you're going to need a computer to actually power zwift, but you can use your TV as a display if you want to see it on the bigger screen.
Old 11-26-2018, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegunner View Post
you're going to need a computer to actually power zwift, but you can use your TV as a display if you want to see it on the bigger screen.
Thanks for clarifying!

Old 11-27-2018, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
Thanks for clarifying!

You can use an iPad or iPhone as long as you have a trainer or PM that has BT. In addition, I think (haven’t tried) there is an app u can use in the latest inception of Apple TV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-27-2018, 08:03 AM
Kind of OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by gone View Post
Wow you are just so cool riding outside in shorts and a jersey. The wind chill was 11 here today.

I just wish I was as cool as you are and even 1/10th the cyclist.

I’d like to have your baby.

Seriously. Why post in this thread unless you're deliberately trying to be a dick.

Greg
Yep. Ya got me there, Chester.
PS: Y'all are welcome to come down to AZ and ride our beautiful winter roads. More than happy to show you around if your're in the PHX area.
You can return the favor when it's 119 degrees out.
Old 11-27-2018, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis Moon View Post
Yep. Ya got me there, Chester.
PS: Y'all are welcome to come down to AZ and ride our beautiful winter roads. More than happy to show you around if your're in the PHX area.
You can return the favor when it's 119 degrees out.
Daughter moved there. Grandchild there. No snow there....retirement there.
Old 11-27-2018, 09:19 PM

Also took the plunge on a smart trainer this year. One question, is there a way to use the device and ride courses that will cause the trainer to adjust resistance etc, but not pay a fee for an application like Zwift?

I used it during the free trial and while it was OK, (granted I only had an iphone that would connect with it at the time) I really just want to use the trainer and have it adjust resistance randomly or with some set courses, but not ride or race other people in real time. I'm fine watching a netflix show, and my tolerance for not going anywhere and sitting in a pool of my own sweat is limited to about an hour anyhow.

Is this possible?
Old 11-27-2018, 09:24 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

I believe all smart trainers have some sort of free app that lets you manually adjust the resistance.
Old 11-27-2018, 09:33 PM

Let’s see those Zwift setups

Do you have a Garmin? You can connect the Garmin to a Tacx Trainer (that’s what I have, don’t know if other brands furnish this) and in “indoor trainer “ mode ride any previous ride in your memory or course. Furthermore, I had a VIRB cam that would output a video file with the course data and I would run it on the trainer. ( thus having video and the trainer resistance)
Old 11-28-2018, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kppolich View Post
I believe all smart trainers have some sort of free app that lets you manually adjust the resistance.
Yea, the wahoo module does that, but again, I'm looking for something that will adjust for me vice always having to manually adjust

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJohnny View Post
Do you have a Garmin? You can connect the Garmin to a Tacx Trainer (that’s what I have, don’t know if other brands furnish this) and in “indoor trainer “ mode ride any previous ride in your memory or course. Furthermore, I had a VIRB cam that would output a video file with the course data and I would run it on the trainer. ( thus having video and the trainer resistance)
This actually sounds promising. Not sure if the kickr will be able to, but I'll give it a shot. thx
Old 11-28-2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy View Post
Also took the plunge on a smart trainer this year. One question, is there a way to use the device and ride courses that will cause the trainer to adjust resistance etc, but not pay a fee for an application like Zwift?

I used it during the free trial and while it was OK, (granted I only had an iphone that would connect with it at the time) I really just want to use the trainer and have it adjust resistance randomly or with some set courses, but not ride or race other people in real time. I'm fine watching a netflix show, and my tolerance for not going anywhere and sitting in a pool of my own sweat is limited to about an hour anyhow.

Is this possible?
It's not free but PerfPro is the tool that will will do all the things. The interface is not great but PP is really powerful...ride a course profile, do structured workouts in erg mode, sync with videos (e.g. SufferFest), analyze workouts etc.... Unlike Zwift you pay once rather than on a subscription basis. I bought the $99 home use version a couple years ago but Zwift is the thing that gets me to the basement these days. I haven't used PP since.

I think Golden Cheetah now supports the ability to control a FE-C smart trainer in erg mode but I've never tried it. GC is free. I'm not sure whether you can plug a course profile into GC but you can certainly set up power-based interval workouts.
Old 11-28-2018, 01:30 PM

My Zwift/Sufferfest set-up currently includes a space heater. We moved to a piece of property that has an unheated garage, and it has been cold at night here. I usually sweat buckets while cycling indoors, but I've been wearing long sleeved shirts and my feet get a little chilly by the end of the ride. Having gone from a relatively big house to 200-square feet in a fifth wheel (while we build a new house), I'm thrilled to be able to cycle indoors this winter on lousy days. I made sure the wireless signal extended to the garage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4986.jpg (90.9 KB, 149 views)
Old 11-28-2018, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delish View Post
It's not free but PerfPro is the tool that will will do all the things. The interface is not great but PP is really powerful...ride a course profile, do structured workouts in erg mode, sync with videos (e.g. SufferFest), analyze workouts etc.... Unlike Zwift you pay once rather than on a subscription basis. I bought the $99 home use version a couple years ago but Zwift is the thing that gets me to the basement these days. I haven't used PP since.
Your post could be written from my experience. Really liked PP and the functionality but once I started using Zwift it's all I use now. Like the interaction and it's just enough to trick my brain into doing time I wouldn't do down in the basement otherwise.

I'll also add - I stopped racing and training to race years ago so now it's just a fitness thing. I really don't have any desire to do 6-8 hours of structure each week. Now if I want to go hard, I just jump in a zwift race or do a group ride that has some solid efforts.
Old 11-28-2018, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by commonguy001 View Post
Your post could be written from my experience. Really liked PP and the functionality but once I started using Zwift it's all I use now. Like the interaction and it's just enough to trick my brain into doing time I wouldn't do down in the basement otherwise.

I'll also add - I stopped racing and training to race years ago so now it's just a fitness thing. I really don't have any desire to do 6-8 hours of structure each week. Now if I want to go hard, I just jump in a zwift race or do a group ride that has some solid efforts.
I was embarrassed to admit how fun and motivating Zwift races were but then a bunch of the folks I ride with have gotten the bug as well. Even my better half who is blessed with a much higher degree of skepticism than I am just bought into it too.

Just finished up our zwift-cave-for-two. Nothing like date nights where you and your spouse get hot, sweaty, half naked with lots of heavy breathing.

[/url]
Old 11-29-2018, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy View Post

Is this possible?
A computrainer will definitely do EXACTLY what you are after. Cheap too...

Tags
zwift