Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-17-2024, 07:30 PM
v a n i l l a

As implied in other threads I don’t know how you would implement Apple Music without a phone or computer.

Some people get an old phone for this purpose. So it can get greasy dusty. It only needs to current enough so the iOS can support the current app updates. Else you just keep declining the updates.
Old 08-17-2024, 07:38 PM

Talking Garage sound

So...i have like 3 carousel cd players fed into a onkyo tx8020 and a pair of bose 301 series 2 speakers. About $300 on craigslist all in. Also have a ipod classic hooked up. Still works

Loaded all my cds into the carousel players and tossed the jewel cases. Run it thru a DAC. My bride was happy to get rid of that particular clutter. The sonys you can daisy chain up to about 4. The random mode is pretty great. One player that i acquired had a remote...bonus. those are pain to find

I also have and aux cord for a phone, tablet or tv. I absolutely despise bluetooth, so I avoid that at all costs

My in the house system is bordering on ridiculous...don't get me started

The way people buy stuff they don't use and sell it for nothing is bonkers. The garage amp was $30 off of craigslist and the 301s were like $50.

Definitely a snob, but a bluetooth speaker is absolutely an unacceptable option. 2 channel is apparently dead but who the hell would want anything less. Life is short
Old 08-18-2024, 09:51 AM
Administrator

How does this set-up look?

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...0-c2fc076634f5

Old 08-19-2024, 01:36 PM
v a n i l l a

the only thing I will say about the FB system is you are paying for an EQ that I personally don't think you need.

availability of used components obviously varies by region. around here the stuff people give away or sell cheaply continues to astound.

I can do cheaper around here, but that doesn't help you there. For instance receivers from $0-30 and speakers from $0-50.

I think the main thing is figure out if you want bookshelf speakers or larger.
Old 08-19-2024, 02:03 PM
Administrator

Yea, I agree about th eq, dont need.

I suspect that most of the stuff actually sold on the 2nd hand market around here goes for much cheaper than listed. I think the size of the speakers in that pic are just about right for the space I have allotted.
Old 08-19-2024, 02:07 PM

I love music, many sorts, but I would by no means say that I'm an audiophile.

However, from what I've read over the years the speakers are the most important when it comes to sound reproduction. More important than the receiver, DAC, CD player, amp, preamp, cables, etc.

Hopefully others with more knowledge and experience will chime in.

But if you're gonna go big, go REALLY BIG.

Last edited by reuben; 08-19-2024 at 02:10 PM.
Old 08-19-2024, 03:29 PM
Administrator

Had a nice conversation with the dude selling that system above. Went over to his house and he had it all hooked up and we listened to some Bruce and talked audio gear. To my non-audiophile ear it sounded really great. Bought everything but the EQ, no need for that in the garage.

Just need to get some speaker wire and a few things and I'll be jamming away in the garage.
Old 08-19-2024, 03:41 PM

I like high fidelity music as much as the next guy, but for my garage, bike workbench, I have a single Amazon Echo Dot that I use to stream anything that I want to listen to at the moment. It sounds surprisingly nice for music even in mono mode on a single Echo Dot. I stream Amazon Music, Pandora, and various radio stations for news and sports. Because it's voice operated via Alexa, I don't have to touch it with my greasy hands although I have accidentally done so, and the Echo Dot is a little greasy and dusty now but still sounds fine.
Old 08-19-2024, 04:07 PM
extremely tall

Hah-was just going to post that the eq would be super helpful as there’s no good eq functionality for Apple Music!

I run Apple Music via my phone to an AirPort Express to an old Onkyo receiver out to Pioneer Andrew Jones floor speakers and subwoofer. It’s plenty loud, sounds generally pretty good (not as good as the Sonos stuff in the house if I had to choose) and good value for the $.

I’ve dabbled in vinyl but am so deep in Apple Music having digitized thousands of CDs before streaming was a thing that trying to recreate any of my “collection” on vinyl just seems like folly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Had a nice conversation with the dude selling that system above. Went over to his house and he had it all hooked up and we listened to some Bruce and talked audio gear. To my non-audiophile ear it sounded really great. Bought everything but the EQ, no need for that in the garage.

Just need to get some speaker wire and a few things and I'll be jamming away in the garage.
Old 08-19-2024, 04:40 PM

Some great deals on face place and the list. KEFs are definitely a score. Unless the EQ had a bunch of lights...no need

Silver face is in
Old 08-19-2024, 05:28 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
Some great deals on face place and the list.
No kidding. Vintage used stuff can be had for SO cheap compared to buying new today. I would have had to drop a lot at Best Buy to get close to the quality i've got for very short money used today, and I got to meet a cool local dude.
Old 08-19-2024, 06:40 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
No kidding. Vintage used stuff can be had for SO cheap compared to buying new today. I would have had to drop a lot at Best Buy to get close to the quality i've got for very short money used today, and I got to meet a cool local dude.
well done...the issue with the EQ is now you have more choices...and life is actually simpler with less choices.

the speaker size is nice.

so, you still have to use your phone? How are you getting content input into the H-K integrated?
Old 08-19-2024, 06:49 PM

People overbought and never used some items. I always have an eye out for JBL speakers and sony carousel cd changers. The changers typically have a random mp3 disc off of a computer stuck in them and the plastic film on the face. They're usually stoked that you're removing it from their lives

DC/balto market has been good and usually worth the drive

Next thing you know, you'll have a setup for inside the house. Maybe 2

Quote:
Old 08-19-2024, 06:56 PM

Quote:
This is so true. I've gotten some ridiculously good prices on old gear at the DI (LDS/Mormon Church's version of Salvation Army). When the kids were still in the house I also would get them computers there for next to nothing. The Denon CD player was a $10 purchase there.
Old 08-19-2024, 07:11 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
People overbought and never used some items. I always have an eye out for JBL speakers and sony carousel cd changers. The changers typically have a random mp3 disc off of a computer stuck in them and the plastic film on the face. They're usually stoked that you're removing it from their lives

DC/balto market has been good and usually worth the drive

Next thing you know, you'll have a setup for inside the house. Maybe 2
is a slippery slope, that is for sure...