Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-25-2024, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgauthier View Post
It's good to hear some positive sentiments. Let's look at the accomplishments:

1. Created an escrow company for secure online money transactions with over 400 million users.
2. First viable electric transportation manufacturer, disrupting the transportation industry to create a more sustainable future that avoids fossil fuels.
3. Large scale battery electrical storage eliminated the intermittency of wind and solar power, allowing wider adoption of renewable power generation.
4. First viable commercialization of space, with nearly 400 successful launches with reusable spacecraft.

Any *one* of these would guarantee Musk a place among the great inventors and industrialists. I'm still a fan.

Not gonna buy no crypto, though...
What? He did NOT create PayPal. He did NOT start Tesla. He has made some smart business choices. He also did not engineer any of the other projects. But he was the leader of the company that did those things. His leadership of The Boring Company is probably his best things he has done.
Old 09-25-2024, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcteague View Post
Had to look up what Tesla Tokens were. After I did....
Years ago I thought that when/if I got an electric car Tesla would be at the top of my list (assuming their build quality improved). Now, as long as Musk is an owner, they will be at the bottom of said list. I wonder how much of the staff would like him gone? Surely he is just bringing down the value at this point.

Tim
More like the staff has come and gone. He is not known for retaining talent - young starry eyed engineers go to work for him right out of school, accomplish an insane amount but get burnt out, and leave after a few years.

SpaceX does what it does because Gwynne Shotwell is know to manage him well, and shield the most important employees from encountering him.
Old 09-25-2024, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwdm View Post
He might be unhinged, but his Autism might be a factor.

What he is though is brilliant. He just gets things done - in all different fields. The Tesla stock has pulled back substantially, but it is still up 800% since the start of 2020.

Jeff
Not brilliant enough to realize he's cross-ed over into Howard Hughes-land. IT's up in the past few years due to over-reliance on meme-stock pumping, and hasn't really recovered from the whole Twitter acquisition debacle. Hard to predict things overall, but I waited for it to recover a bit, but when he fired the supercharger team, I sold and just folded it back into S&P500. Made my money; would rather not have the volatility (esp not w/ Geely/BYD looming on the horizon....)
Old 09-25-2024, 03:12 PM

As few already mentioned this has nothing to do with Musk. As someone who pays attention to the crypto market there already have been tsla related coins and as you might expect they are all rug pulls, especially on SOL.

If ya get in early enough and get out before the powers to be pull the rug though then you can make a lot of money and be happy as long as you can live with the fact that you ripped a lot of people off.
Old 09-25-2024, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryA View Post
Also throw in Starlink, the massive constellation of communication satellites. Then there’s the part about how they’ve launched the majority of everything in orbit, including all the launches done by governments around the world.
Saw this article recently

https://www.businessinsider.com/elon...r-study-2024-6
Old 09-25-2024, 07:45 PM

And here we all thought vanlife was harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtb_frk View Post
Old 09-25-2024, 08:21 PM
Randomhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylercheung View Post
Not brilliant enough to realize he's cross-ed over into Howard Hughes-land. IT's up in the past few years due to over-reliance on meme-stock pumping, and hasn't really recovered from the whole Twitter acquisition debacle. Hard to predict things overall, but I waited for it to recover a bit, but when he fired the supercharger team, I sold and just folded it back into S&P500.
What's amazing is people still buy into Leon's (likely illegal) future predictions like they are definitely going to happen. The stock goes up every time he predicts robotaxis, for example. I expect the robotaxi demo to be totally fake and also a disaster. Teslas can't even drive in the single lane tunnels in Vegas. There is going to be an intern remotely driving each one of those cars on a completely closed course.

Firing the supercharger team is the kind of thing Musk is known for, and it really screwed a lot of people that thought he was a serious person. Nobody that was paying attention would dream of buying a Tesla after that, I don't care that he backtracked and rehired some of them. I think any car company that chose going along with Tesla's charging network figures it's going to be nationalized.
Old 09-25-2024, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinchris View Post
What? He did NOT create PayPal. He did NOT start Tesla. He has made some smart business choices. He also did not engineer any of the other projects. But he was the leader of the company that did those things. His leadership of The Boring Company is probably his best things he has done.
I stand corrected, thank you!

I revised my post to hopefully be more accurate. The list still looks impressive to me...
Old 09-26-2024, 06:20 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryA View Post
You may be right. It reminds me of wind turbines and solar farms. Not a fan of either. And we want electricity to run the world (including electric cars).
Well, it's pretty obvious to 'most' that fossil fuel is certainly not the long term answer unless we want to have a planet like in Soylent Green. I'll trade looking at a windmill or solar farms instead of wearing an O2 mask when I go outside, during the hurricane or because of YUGE fires.
Old 09-26-2024, 06:47 AM
50 bpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Well, it's pretty obvious to 'most' that fossil fuel is certainly not the long term answer unless we want to have a planet like in Soylent Green. I'll trade looking at a windmill or solar farms instead of wearing an O2 mask when I go outside, during the hurricane or because of YUGE fires.
Unfortunately there's too much easy money to be made in oil. We divested all our oil stocks long ago (including lots of Chevron, for whom my dad worked for 35 years); I could have afforded a couple of C68s with EPS Wireless if we'd kept them.
Old 09-26-2024, 01:35 PM

What’s Twitter worth nowadays anyway?

Couple billion?

Five billion?

Even if it is worth as much as 30 billion, it’s a massive loss for Musk

Truly one of the worst business decisions in the history of business decisions
Old 09-26-2024, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgauthier View Post
It's good to hear some positive sentiments. Let's look at the accomplishments:

1. Cofounded PayPal, an escrow company for secure online money transactions with over 400 million users.
2. Cofounded Tesla, first viable electric transportation manufacturer, disrupting the transportation industry to create a more sustainable future that avoids fossil fuels.
He did neither of these things.

re: Paypal: He owned a company, X.com, which merged with another company, Confinity, which had a product called PayPal that ultimately become the flagship product of the merged company. A company which Musk was ousted from.

re: Tesla: Tesla was founded by Martin Eberhard and Marc Tarpenning, Musk came on as the largest shareholder of that company a few years after its founding. As a part of Musk being named CEO of the company after that, Musk was allowed to say that he was a co-founder of the company. Despite not actually having cofounded the company.

He's good at investing in things, but he's not an inventor/founder/etc of all of these. His companies occasionally make money, seemingly in spite of him, but certainly not because of him.

Last edited by jdp211; 09-26-2024 at 02:26 PM.
Old 09-26-2024, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwdm View Post
He might be unhinged, but his Autism might be a factor.

What he is though is brilliant. He just gets things done - in all different fields. The Tesla stock has pulled back substantially, but it is still up 800% since the start of 2020.

Jeff
I get the hate because of twitter and the things he says- but I think he will be remembered as one of the great thinkers and inventors of the period. Steve Jobs, the people who did the break out work on the gene crispr and Musk. I can’t think of any other thinker of this period that is more important.

I worked with a bunch of people who had phd’s (not dummies - went to Stanford, Harvard etc) who worked with him for 5-10 years - their perception and the delta between the populations perception is so unbelievably wide.

Wouldn’t buy a token for any dollar amount.
Old 09-26-2024, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the bottle ride View Post
i get the hate because of twitter and the things he says- but i think he will be remembered as one of the great thinkers and inventors of the period. Steve jobs, the people who did the break out work on the gene crispr and musk. I can’t think of any other thinker of this period that is more important.

I worked with a bunch of people who had phd’s (not dummies - went to stanford, harvard etc) who worked with him for 5-10 years - their perception and the delta between the populations perception is so unbelievably wide.

Wouldn’t buy a token for any dollar amount.
^^^^^^
x100
Old 09-27-2024, 07:09 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefantino View Post
Unfortunately there's too much easy money to be made in oil. We divested all our oil stocks long ago (including lots of Chevron, for whom my dad worked for 35 years); I could have afforded a couple of C68s with EPS Wireless if we'd kept them.
I agree.....oil will be the king of private vehicles of all sorts until fuel becomes scarce and then VERY expensive. 'Some' buy an EV to 'save the planet' or save $ on fuel but most buy it for other reasons. Latest gizmo, keep up with the "jones', status, curiosity, whatever..

I'd say a good place to start is to tax fuel(gas tax hasn't been increased for 31 years..last in 1993-yikes), also stop oil company government subsidies..which seems really dumb on its face considering the YUGE profits they pull in every year.

Tags
muskrat, traitor