Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-27-2024, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguedog View Post
Bubba - have you ridden the Fray? If so, what are your thoughts vs the Crux?
I quickly looked at the price tag of the Fray and it's $5500 for just the frame and fork (unless everyone's got some insider discount). That's arguably twice the price of a discounted Crux complete.
Old 06-27-2024, 11:23 PM

I thought the pricing about similar to a Crux frame set unless you're looking at the Comp. No? I know that recently there've been some sales. Perhaps that's what you're using for comparison? Or it could well be that my memory is incorrect
Old 06-27-2024, 11:28 PM

Okay, I was off with the numbers.

Enve lists the Fray at $5500 MSRP, but most retailers sell the frame for $4500.

Specialized was blowing out some non-sworks Crux completes for $3300 or so (could get it down the $3k) for a while.

Not a true apples to apples comparison, but still a grand or so cheaper.
Old 06-28-2024, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguedog View Post
Bubba - have you ridden the Fray? If so, what are your thoughts vs the Crux?

Also happy to start a separate thread so we don't derail the Crux love.
Those appear to be such different bikes in fit…31mm lower stack on the crux vs fray in 56.
Old 06-28-2024, 08:52 AM

I find the Crux to feel a little better than the Dark Matter on paved roads. On gravel, I think it is a wash.

On paper, the two are very similar geometry wise. I think the Crux feels a little more nimble on the road because it is much lighter. That said, I am not sure there would be a significant difference between the two against the clock if all else were the same. At different times, I had both the Dark Matter and the Crux as my only bike and have done fast group rides on both. It is hard to recall any details because it has been a while but I don't remember struggling more on one than the other to keep up with the road bikes in the group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbof View Post
Can you compare the Dark Matter and the Crux? I have a Dark Matter and it’s my only bike. It just feels sluggish on the road. Thanks
Old 06-28-2024, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbof View Post
Can you compare the Dark Matter and the crux ? I have a Dark Matter and it’s my only bike. It just feels sluggish on the road. Thanks
I’ll add to this: IF I only had to have one bike, it would be the Crux. I did a **** ton of research before springing for the Crux and everything I read indicated that if there was a flaw to the Crux, it was how it handled really rough and chunky gravel. Fortunately, I have a Ti Alliance that really absorbs all the hits from the dirt easily. So that’s my designated “gravel” bike.

The Crux is my go-to “any road” bike and I think it excels at that. I currently have 32c tires on it, and will also try 35c tires eventually. The sweet spot will be in between there. No less than 32c and no wider than 35c.
Old 06-28-2024, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa63 View Post
I find the Crux to feel a little better than the Dark Matter on paved roads. On gravel, I think it is a wash.

On paper, the two are very similar geometry wise. I think the Crux feels a little more nimble on the road because it is much lighter. That said, I am not sure there would be a significant difference between the two against the clock if all else were the same. At different times, I had both the Dark Matter and the Crux as my only bike and have done fast group rides on both. It is hard to recall any details because it has been a while but I don't remember struggling more on one than the other to keep up with the road bikes in the group.
The stack is significantly different…one of the highest vs one of the lowest in the genre. It’s no surprise the crux probably feels more like a road bike handling wise.
Old 06-28-2024, 11:15 AM

On my Crux, I recently did a fairly big gravel ride one day and then a fairly big road ride the next day. Both lots of climbing (try and avoid it in VT). Both solo, so without the dynamism inherent to racing or groups. Only setup difference was wheels/tires/cassette - gravel setup is 25mm inner, 38mm deep wheels with G-One Speed 40s and 10-36 cassette, road wheels are 21mm inner, 46mm deep wheels with Conti 4000 28s (tubed, measure 31 on these wheels - I'd stocked up on these a while ago bc they're great) and 10-33 cassette.

Gravel terrain is very limited singletrack, lots of buff dirt roads, steeper climbs and descents, and some quite chunky Class 4 (minimally maintained) roads. I'm not really trying to drop bar mtb on this bike. Road is road, with long climbs and descents.

I was struck by how much I felt like I was riding a road bike while on the road, and how much I felt like I was riding a gravel bike on gravel. If there was a way to very easily go +5mm headset spacer from where I have it for gravel and -5mm spacer from where I have it for road (so road stack would be -10 from gravel stack), that would be amazing. Apart from that, just switching the wheels does everything you need.
Old 06-28-2024, 12:05 PM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by November Dave View Post
If there was a way to very easily go +5mm headset spacer from where I have it for gravel and -5mm spacer from where I have it for road (so road stack would be -10 from gravel stack), that would be amazing.

Old 06-28-2024, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post

I couldn't do it, but it's not an awful consideration. Thanks
Old 06-28-2024, 12:40 PM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by November Dave View Post
I couldn't do it
I completely understand.

Old 06-28-2024, 08:26 PM

In my case, I have the bars set up at the exact same place between the two bikes (which requires me to run the full 30mm spacers plus a 10mm riser handlebar on the Crux).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
The stack is significantly different…one of the highest vs one of the lowest in the genre. It’s no surprise the crux probably feels more like a road bike handling wise.
Old 07-11-2024, 05:19 PM

Another ride on the Crux. Another blissful day on the bike. Damn, I love that thing. 🫶🏼
Old 09-02-2024, 09:43 PM

Add me to the list of converted retrogrouches.
This thread helped me to pick my one do-it-all bike.
After several rides, road and gravel, I am really happy with how the bike turned out and performs.
Old 09-02-2024, 11:33 PM

Another convert; I have not touched my other bikes in a while, thinking about selling some.

Mine looks kind of weird with a Hover Specialized bar but it is what it is at 60 years.

Tags
peter denk