Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old Today, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
This would still not remove the need for there to be some sanity around eBikes that do 30mph without pedaling.

As it is today plenty of eBikes barely meet the standard of stable geometry going down a hill or brakes that actually function.
I'd be all for revising the 3-tier classification at a national level. Something like...

Class 1: 15mph max speed, pedal-assist only. I could be convinced 18mph makes more sense. Either way, this class would be intended to cover e-bikes used like normal bikes. That should cover most people just looking for an added boost, whether that be for group rides or hauling cargo. Allowed to use all existing bicycle infrastructure.

Class 2: 25mph max speed, pedal assist or throttle. Intended to supplement or replace existing moped/50cc rules. Can use on street with minimal registration and no M endorsement.

Class 3: Anything else. It's a motorcycle in the eyes of the law. Requires M endorsement and full registration, insurance, etc. Street only.

Yes, I realize that likely makes my wife's Specialized a "motorcycle", as it provides boost to 28mph. It's overkill - I'd happily have its controller reprogrammed to cap at 15 or 18mph.

EDIT - electric kick scooters, one wheels, etc should follow similar guidelines.

Last edited by Alistair; Today at 11:12 AM.
Old Today, 11:25 AM
Post Mod-ern

Interesting . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm714 View Post
I spent 30+ years in local government over a decade as a city manager for three different cities. I can say we never wrote an ordiance with the intent of profiling people.

Can some laws be used for profiling, yes they can, but I never saw it and I never thought I worked with a police chief that would allow it.
You can vouch unreservedly for the lack of bias in every city employee you ever had who enforced these laws?

I was a news photographer on the street where things happened. I saw it happen as it happened. It happened to me–being singled out as a member of the press and ejected from locations where the general public was unrestricted. I was out on police patrols with the officers as part of stories where I watched them do it and they had no problem admitting it or seeing me photograph it.

Trust me, just because you didn't personally see it in action or have any police chief who would admit to it happening, doesn't mean it didn't and doesn't happen.

Get real.

BBD
A thing of beauty is a joy forever--Keats
Old Today, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
I wonder if these local ordinances are all ;egal? In most states, local ordinances can't supercede state laws. So for example, if state law allows bicycles (e-bikes) to ride double file, a local ordinance can't require them to ride single file. A local town near me tried to make special laws governing bicycles on the local roads, but they were shot down because they violated state laws.
Agree. This one in particular:
Quote:
Requires riders to use bike lanes where possible, and on streets without bike lanes, to ride close to the right curb or edge of roadway.
Old Today, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Really? Everytime I go to SB I take my bike and haven’t had an issue, plus the weather is some of the best in California for riding.
I agree, I lived there for about 20 years, still see family there, and when I do see family I take my bike, never had an issue either, and I've ridden all over that city and that county.

Most drivers are expecting cyclists, so they tend to more courteous of cyclists than some parts of the country. I see a lot more non-courteous cyclists, than I see non-courteous motorists!!

Now you can go down State street without all the heavy car and pedestrian traffic due to the city blocking off a large section of it starting at Haley to I think to Victoria where it turns into a 1-way street to Sota? Not sure if the businesses along that area of State like that idea. But I know starting on Friday through Sunday, going down State from Alameda to the pier was a 30 to 45 minute drive before they put those limitations up. And both the peds and the cyclists were just crazy, jumping out into oncoming cars, weaving in and out of cars, I saw a quite a few accidents during that time period, most were not the fault of the motorists either. Fortunately people are driving slow so injuries that I saw were pretty minor, there may had been much more serious injuries I just never saw them, it was more cussing and blame tossing then anything.

Just about every street in SB has bike lanes, it's great to ride around through there.
Old Today, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
I'd be all for revising the 3-tier classification at a national level. Something like...

Class 1: 15mph max speed, pedal-assist only. I could be convinced 18mph makes more sense. Either way, this class would be intended to cover e-bikes used like normal bikes. That should cover most people just looking for an added boost, whether that be for group rides or hauling cargo. Allowed to use all existing bicycle infrastructure.

Class 2: 25mph max speed, pedal assist or throttle. Intended to supplement or replace existing moped/50cc rules. Can use on street with minimal registration and no M endorsement.

Class 3: Anything else. It's a motorcycle in the eyes of the law. Requires M endorsement and full registration, insurance, etc. Street only.

Yes, I realize that likely makes my wife's Specialized a "motorcycle", as it provides boost to 28mph. It's overkill - I'd happily have its controller reprogrammed to cap at 15 or 18mph.

EDIT - electric kick scooters, one wheels, etc should follow similar guidelines.
I have a class3 28mph max which is nice for commuting, but it's pedal assist only. Personally not in favor of 15-18. Maybe 22-25 is enough.
Old Today, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdntrxi View Post
I have a class3 28mph max which is nice for commuting, but it's pedal assist only. Personally not in favor of 15-18. Maybe 22-25 is enough.
My commuter caps at 20, which seems to mean more like 19mph in practice. I’d strongly prefer 28mph. It is a crawl in nearly every scenario where I ride it.

If mine were capped any slower I’d not bother using it. I can already commute faster on my all road bike as it stands with no assist but the etility bike is more comfortable with its storage options…
Old Today, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBeeDave View Post
You can vouch unreservedly for the lack of bias in every city employee you ever had who enforced these laws?

I was a news photographer on the street where things happened. I saw it happen as it happened. It happened to me–being singled out as a member of the press and ejected from locations where the general public was unrestricted. I was out on police patrols with the officers as part of stories where I watched them do it and they had no problem admitting it or seeing me photograph it.

Trust me, just because you didn't personally see it in action or have any police chief who would admit to it happening, doesn't mean it didn't and doesn't happen.

Get real.

BBD
What’s with the get real statement???

Cities are a magnet for lawsuits, trust me. None of my cities were ever served with a lawsuit for profiling or discrimination. Can I speak for all 2000 employees that were under me at some no, but again I never had a lawsuit presented speaking to your claims.

Get off your high horse with the all government is corrupt line of thinking.
Old Today, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdntrxi View Post
Is it strictly a desire to go faster, or does it make you feel safer on the road?

IMO, if you want to travel at motorcycle speeds, you should be on a motorcycle (whether that's a literal motorcycle or an e-bike that's classified as such). Bike infrastructure should be kept at reasonably safe speeds for the average transportation user.
Old Today, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
Is it strictly a desire to go faster, or does it make you feel safer on the road?

IMO, if you want to travel at motorcycle speeds, you should be on a motorcycle (whether that's a literal motorcycle or an e-bike that's classified as such). Bike infrastructure should be kept at reasonably safe speeds for the average transportation user.
if I'm going over 15.. 100% road and or bike lanes. I dislike MUP very much and avoid as much as possible.

100% 15mph is not fast enough when sharing the road with cars.

Last edited by Spdntrxi; Today at 02:34 PM.
Old Today, 03:13 PM
#RYFB

Quote:

Cities are a magnet for lawsuits, trust me. None of my cities were ever served with a lawsuit for profiling or discrimination. Can I speak for all 2000 employees that were under me at some no, but again I never had a lawsuit presented speaking to your claims.

Reading BBD's comments, the highlighted text above is an unfair characterization. Using your personal experience to counter what are well documented abuses by LEO in a wide range of communities puts you on extremely thin ice and/or shaky ground, and 'get real' is a pretty inoffensive comment in that light.

When I look in the mirror I remember to imagine the words "you are not a representative sample" tattooed in reverse.
Old Today, 03:35 PM

Quote:

I think it's great if any cities you worked for avoided any of these problems.

I also don't think that what BBD is suggesting necessarily qualifies as corruption.

I think he raises a valid concern that is a statute is written in a way that is both broad and vague, with the assertion that it will be applied "reasonably," that creates a high risk that it will be applied inconsistently.

Everyone involved can be acting in good faith, but two different officers could have very different views on what counts as "reasonable" and it can be hard to guarantee that their views are not even subconsciously affected by characteristics of the perpetrator that are unrelated to the specific conduct at issue.