Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-27-2024, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwgoode View Post
While not toxic, I'm guessing it has some bacteria that I wouldn't want to get stuck on me or my water bottle and accidentally ingest.
Well....as someone who's had more than a mouthful of it a time or two in the farm all I can say is I never got sick from it.

Funny how much of it I noticed on the path I was riding today. Guess I just don't pay much attention to it most days. Just another obstacle like anything else on the path.
Old 08-27-2024, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
I encounter horses occasionally both wild and domesticated on my rides.

Ive never seen a trail that shows rules that doesn’t say a cyclist yields to a horse. I just ring my bell and communicate. They either step off the trail or I do… some people ask me to talk as I pass by but usually not.
My worst encounter while trail riding on a horse was in Catalina SP. The signs are frequently posted and clear who has the right of way. I also mountain bike and we do our equestrian riding on trails that don't allow mountain bikes, so in theory, we only encounter hikers, except for the Karen who insisted she was a pedestrian and always had the right of way.
Old 08-27-2024, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellyho View Post

Now, dog owners....
Don’t get me started……
Old 08-27-2024, 05:05 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

I rarely stop, but will certainly slow down. I also start talking to the horse well away from them so they don't freak out.

Do the same with dogs.

M
Old 08-27-2024, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
I usually try and quietly sneak up on them and then throw firecrackers in the air to make as much sharp loud noise as possible.

That seems to do the trick.

Balloons and plastic bags are always popular.

Old 08-27-2024, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YesNdeed View Post
Hopefully stop, and ask the rider how to proceed.

https://www.krqe.com/news/new-mexico...-after-injury/
That's exactly what we do. Stop a distance away if they are coming toward us and ask if they need us to wait.
If we're overtaking, then ask if it's okay to pass.
Old 08-27-2024, 08:37 PM

Maybe this was said above and I missed it but I’d like to better understand a couple things after reflecting more on this topic while out on my ride today.

When you say you step off the trail and let the horse and rider pass is this a single track trail? If the trail is wide would you do the same thing or just slow and keep your distance passing?

With respect to approaching from the rear on a sufficiently wide trail, how does/should a rider navigate this? If I hit the brakes I could spook horse, if I coast I could, by virtue of the FHB, spook the horse and I sure as hell don’t want to ring my bell. I usually just say on your left and slow. Is this not cool and/or what would be better?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-27-2024, 08:41 PM

I always get off my bike, or if I'm hiking, move aside.
Old 08-27-2024, 09:35 PM

i ask how much horsepower it makes.
Old 08-27-2024, 10:29 PM

Horses are just a PITA, chickens might be smarter
Old 08-27-2024, 11:27 PM
Sunshine

We own a horse and have owned others in the past. Wife rides, one kid still rides, and the other rode for 9 years.

They are smart and caring, but skittish as hell when they come across something they don't recognize or are unsure about.
It makes perfect sense- despite being huge, they are a prey animal and their only defense is to outrun the threat.

As soon as I see one in the distance I dismount, say 'hello', and walk my bike. Ive done it for what seemed like a quarter mile before, since it was a canopied flat straightaway in the woods and shadows are scary.
Old 08-28-2024, 02:37 AM
Randomhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
Ive never seen a trail that shows rules that doesn’t say a cyclist yields to a horse.
Not that many rail trails around here allow horses. The Lower trail allows them, except riding on the trail itself isn't allowed. There is plenty of grass to ride on. Afaik, all the trails in Rothrock forest allow horses, but I have only seen them on one trail, probably because the forest is named after all the rocks everywhere. I have heard horses when I was riding near the midstate trail. Bikes are banned on most of the midstate trail so it seems like a great place for them.
Old 08-28-2024, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsciencenow View Post
Maybe this was said above and I missed it but I’d like to better understand a couple things after reflecting more on this topic while out on my ride today.

When you say you step off the trail and let the horse and rider pass is this a single track trail? If the trail is wide would you do the same thing or just slow and keep your distance passing?

With respect to approaching from the rear on a sufficiently wide trail, how does/should a rider navigate this? If I hit the brakes I could spook horse, if I coast I could, by virtue of the FHB, spook the horse and I sure as hell don’t want to ring my bell. I usually just say on your left and slow. Is this not cool and/or what would be better?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What you're doing is fine. Slow way down and start talking to the the rider(s) as soon as you're in range-just casual stuff-"hey, I'm behind, how's your day, can I come by slow?" . You just want both horse and rider to be aware of your presence as a human before you pass. The rest is up to them.
Old 08-28-2024, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post

Having raised both......

Old 08-28-2024, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
I used to map soils for a living which meant that I was essentially a 'professional trespasser', having literally walked nearly every farm and field in several rural counties. I would never take my eyes off of any horse in a field that I was in, no matter how far they were away. You never know what will happen with horses. Cows are another matter - they just mindlessly hang around. Chickens - meh. No problem. Geese - well, don't mess with them, especially if there's a nest nearby....