Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-12-2024, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaSS View Post
The design means whatever you want it to mean. You might be over thinking this. It is nice they offer something other than a 1 color choice with a logo. I really like these as they don't have a big logo plastered on it. Great to have choice that isn't just the same bike in a different color, but a truly different design.
I totally agree with this! Nice to have multiple colors and no TREK downtube billboard.
Old 06-12-2024, 06:40 AM
Two wheels good

Quote:
Originally Posted by StressStrain View Post
I totally agree with this! Nice to have multiple colors and no TREK downtube billboard.
Oh, I HATE the TREK billboards but with all the cool colors available in the visible spectrum the panels, rings, fades, and splatters just seem silly over some cool colors. Hell, their top-of-the-line $15,500 Aethos comes with a white "Marble" finish. A super lightweight bike painted to look like a heavy rock.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2024-06-12 at 7.36.56 AM.jpg (44.8 KB, 344 views)
Old 06-12-2024, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .RJ View Post
The E5 aluminum crux and allez were fantastic f'ing bikes. I miss both of mine. Simple, light, no frills and great ride quality.

I moved on to the previously mentioned Crux an Allez Sprint, and neither rides as nice.
I miss my old Crux too. Such a solid bike. They're still very common sights at cx races here. If you're cross curious, you can find a used one for around $600. If you get into it, then you can upgrade to this or the carbon if you're feeling rich.

When I say this is a great pricepoint, I meant for a race-ready bike. I know you can get a cheaper bike. If you want to dally around on greenways and fire roads, the base Diverge is for you.

If you want to race cross, do gravel events or even hang on a group road ride, this is a damn good bike at a fair price, no matter your skill level.

I paid $2000 for the E5 Sport? (one level up from base) in 2017, so $2600 for a similar, modern spec in 2024 is not that bad. But, as this thread shows, there will always be people to complain about price, no matter what it is.

These new ones will go the path of my old one and feed into the used market. Newcomers that don't want to buy new can pick a used one up at a bargain in a couple of years and the cycle continues.
Old 06-12-2024, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalonracing View Post
I don't get the paint schemes for the Crux lineup.
They've been doing ugly/weird/interesting/awesome (depending on your taste) stuff with their hydroformed aluminum frames for a few years now.

Generally I like any of them more than a plain black or dark red that seems to plague bike color schemes.

Old 06-12-2024, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefish42 View Post
I miss my old Crux too. Such a solid bike. They're still very common sights at cx races here.
Still see plenty of them in masters fields here in the mid atlantic and they are full of rim brake tubular bikes. Its not hard to get one under 15 lbs, too.

You could do a lot worse thats for sure.
Old 06-12-2024, 08:17 AM

I don't know what to call it - that weird stripey paint scheme Specialized puts on the Crux bikes and some Allez bikes - but they look AWESOME in person. Can't really judge metallic paint through your computer monitor.

Saw someone the other day with an aluminum Allez that had that stripey paint on it, and the paint was sort of translucent and it was glowing in the sun. It looked incredible.
Old 06-12-2024, 08:27 AM
ZhugeLiang

Picked up a NOS 2014 S-Works Crux frameset a few month ago for $400 and can testify to just how well it rides even for a 10-year-old frame.

There's a backstory to it. So, my plan was to get into an experiment with the smallest frame I can find (I normally rides 54cm) and see how using a longer stem, and a seatpost with lots of setback will change the way it rides and weight distribution so on so forth. So, got on Facebook Marketplace and sure enough a 49cm Crux frameset that is local to me came up in the search results. Contacted the seller, arranged for a meetup later in the afternoon, we met up, consummated the deal and the rest is history as they say. Apparently, it belonged to the guy's former girlfriend who used to race and was sponsored with this new frame but unfortunately she passed away before having the opportunity to build it up and it's been sitting inside the storage for more than 10 years. Finally, the girl's family contacted the gentleman and asked him to help with getting rid of it. He posted it on facebook and 3 days later, I picked it up.

Last edited by weisan; 06-12-2024 at 08:32 AM.
Old 06-12-2024, 09:33 AM

I like that the new Crux doesn't have a skyscraper headtube. An actual, affordable race bike with race geometry. What a concept! One of these could definitely be my next gravel race bike.

Greg
Old 06-12-2024, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post

There's a backstory to it. So, my plan was to get into an experiment with the smallest frame I can find (I normally rides 54cm) and see how using a longer stem, and a seatpost with lots of setback will change the way it rides and weight distribution so on so forth. So, got on Facebook Marketplace and sure enough a 49cm Crux frameset that is local to me came up in the search results. Contacted the seller, arranged for a meetup later in the afternoon, we met up, consummated the deal and the rest is history as they say. Apparently, it belonged to the guy's former girlfriend who used to race and was sponsored with this new frame but unfortunately she passed away before having the opportunity to build it up and it's been sitting inside the storage for more than 10 years. Finally, the girl's family contacted the gentleman and asked him to help with getting rid of it. He posted it on facebook and 3 days later, I picked it up.
So.....what have you learned from riding a smaller frame size?
Old 06-12-2024, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Oh, I HATE the TREK billboards but with all the cool colors available in the visible spectrum the panels, rings, fades, and splatters just seem silly over some cool colors. Hell, their top-of-the-line $15,500 Aethos comes with a white "Marble" finish. A super lightweight bike painted to look like a heavy rock.
That looks like my Grandma's countertop
Old 06-12-2024, 11:06 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Oh, I HATE the TREK billboards
I dunno, my 2020 Boone is pretty plain. Just really a pedestrian medium grey with a black Med large 'TREK" on DT and a few groups of black quad hash graphics.

The Madones have a bigger canvas DT and boy do they TREK that out with a huge DT logo.

My RSL/SLR Domane is a bit more pronounced with the Race Shop graphics in white on the seat stays and the white TREK DT same size as Boone. The MTB Project One Green is what stands out. Either way both being top end offering just as my S-Works Roubaix can only make for Super rollers IMO.
Old 06-12-2024, 11:32 AM
SageOfMilwaukee

Follow up on the front derailleur compatibility after a brief chat with Abel from Specialized Rider Support:

Here are the details:
Feed the housing through the drive side ICR port, down the down tube, under the bottom bracket, then out of the hole above and behind the BB. Internal routing kit and magnets are helpful.
Old 06-12-2024, 12:08 PM
Epic=No Smiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by kppolich View Post
Feed the housing through the drive side ICR port, down the down tube, under the bottom bracket, then out of the hole above and behind the BB. Internal routing kit and magnets are helpful.
I think I'm going to buy a Colnago Prestige with cantis. LOL.
Old 06-12-2024, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kppolich View Post
Follow up on the front derailleur compatibility after a brief chat with Abel from Specialized Rider Support:

Here are the details:
Interesting. So this would work with a GRX front derailleur? You'd have to run the full housing all the way down the bike like that? I'm trying to imagine how this would look and I'm failing.
Old 06-12-2024, 12:50 PM

Specialized has good assembly manuals for its frames. You can download it from the Crux frame product page. It shows the routing and references a plug to use if your FD is not compatible with full housing.