Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-19-2023, 09:27 AM

They are selling them for full retail.
Old 06-19-2023, 10:38 AM
Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
They're also selling new Specialized bikes for more than they're selling for now direct from Specialized and other authorized online dealers.
Where is Spud with an obligatory defense post where what TPC is doing is claimed to make sense?

I mean, if they are actually making sales with pricing above MSRP, I guess more power to them. Seems pretty dumb though and would turn away more people than it attracts.
Old 06-20-2023, 06:59 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
Where is Spud with an obligatory defense post where what TPC is doing is claimed to make sense?

I mean, if they are actually making sales with pricing above MSRP, I guess more power to them. Seems pretty dumb though and would turn away more people than it attracts.
Nice shot...I know those guys, they generally do a good job, and ARE struggling a bit. If you'd like to take this instance and slam them, go ahead. Doubt they will notice.

Tell ya what, if you don't like a deal at TPC, don't shop there...easy.

BUT, if somebody blows some smoke outta their butt about TPC, if it's complete BS, yup, I'll say something.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 06-20-2023 at 07:03 AM.
Old 06-20-2023, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post

So in no way am I justifying TPC, but I could see scenarios where someone trades in a bike/frame and uses that credit towards a slightly marked up bike.

When you do a trade in you get slightly more cash. For example, I traded in a frame for $600 but could have gotten $750 if I went for store credit. If I was interested in a frame/bike marked up (up to $150)… I’d potentially make that purchase.

Now, TPC banking their business model off of this scenario would be strange
Old 06-20-2023, 08:46 AM

This seems like an instance where anyone (I don't care enough myself) could just jump on a chat while on TPC and ask them why they're selling for above MSRP and Specialized themselves -- a way of asking is whether you caught an accidental mistake on their website?
Old 06-20-2023, 08:56 AM
Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Nice shot...I know those guys, they generally do a good job, and ARE struggling a bit. If you'd like to take this instance and slam them, go ahead. Doubt they will notice.

Tell ya what, if you don't like a deal at TPC, don't shop there...easy.

BUT, if somebody blows some smoke outta their butt about TPC, if it's complete BS, yup, I'll say something.
Oh, my prior post was really just meant to be good natured when I asked where you are to defend.
I have a twisted sense of humor and it misses sometimes. Apologies.

It was just me trying to keep the thread's theme going of someone posting up what they feel is unjustifiable and then you(and others) providing context to make the issue seem more reasonable or providing commentary to minimize the unjustifiable action.

I did shop there in late winter- bought a Swift Motherloaf bag for a Wald 139 basket because they had deeply discounted stock from last year's model. Stumbled on the deal when late night googling and was genuinely shocked to see 'TPC' as the site.
As for bikes and frames, I peruse their stock every month or so because I see a cool curated ad on radavist or somewhere, but I ride big frames and what they offer in my size is either not what speaks to me or the cool frames have almost 0 geometry details.

Anyways, since you mention they are struggling, I will say that I genuinely hope they stick around and make it thru the 'correction' that they are experiencing right now. Having a site where quality used bikes, frames, and components are available is a huge value to bike nerds in general.
Old 06-20-2023, 09:07 AM
Administrator

It does seem like that Cycling Upgrades site has picked up what the Pros Closet used to me. They seem to find some decent stuff at fair prices.
Old 06-20-2023, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoosterCogset View Post
This seems like an instance where anyone (I don't care enough myself) could just jump on a chat while on TPC and ask them why they're selling for above MSRP and Specialized themselves -- a way of asking is whether you caught an accidental mistake on their website?
Called them re: new Time frames and confirmed they are a dealer and they hold stock at their facility
Old 06-20-2023, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarbsr02 View Post
Enjoyed reading this one. Inset CK headset, paint chips, and 30mm tire clearance on that Reynolds fork, huh? I’m assuming some copy/paste errors, but surprising to see.

https://www.theproscloset.com/produc...s-vamoots-sl-m
Anyone know what it was listed at? Curious of "market value" of mine.
Old 06-20-2023, 04:23 PM

I don't understand Cycling Upgrades selling an aluminum Quattro Assi with a split in the head tube. It's not repairable and would be risky to ride.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Quattro-Ass...-127632-2357-0
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
It does seem like that Cycling Upgrades site has picked up what the Pros Closet used to me. They seem to find some decent stuff at fair prices.
Old 06-20-2023, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdonk View Post
Anyone know what it was listed at? Curious of "market value" of mine.
What size is yours? As I understand, the 61cm or above don't have much value and one somewhere should be sold to me

Honestly, don't remember the price, and that frame was a tad small for me. Sweet frame though that surely isn't losing value.
Old 06-21-2023, 07:06 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by merckxman View Post
I don't understand Cycling Upgrades selling an aluminum Quattro Assi with a split in the head tube. It's not repairable and would be risky to ride.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Quattro-Ass...-127632-2357-0
No kidding..
Quote:
There is a small stress crack developing near the bottom of the head tube shown in pic #9
Old 06-21-2023, 07:13 AM

Quattro Assi was sorta Bikes Direct....before there was Bikes Direct

Just an ad in every issue of Velonews
Old 07-13-2023, 10:54 PM

Has anyone noticed that the prices have gotten worse lately? I sold a bike to them two years ago and they gave me top dollar, much more than I could get locally. Now, most offers seem to be very very low and is not attractive at all. Has anyone had similar experiences?
Old 07-13-2023, 11:08 PM
You still here?

The used bike market has gotten pretty soft of late.