Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-21-2023, 06:55 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
So now is it okay to say they are struggling?
I have a good friend, been at TPC for 10 years, part of 'management', and he was just let go along with 39 others..and he doesn't paint a pretty picture of TPC so........
Quote:
I agree there is a place for a business like this. A nice easy button for both buyers and sellers where they might not get the best deal, but benefit from convenience and confidence is great. But someone lost the plot here.
Unfortunately, some of those who knew what TPC was and should be, who understood the 'essence' of TPC, had been there a long time, were shown the door in this last downsizing...

For right below, that number, 39, came from the gent who was let go yesterday. I'd say adding to their '15%' reduction before..I'd estimate they are at about 50% of what they were. Little over 100 employees, now 'about' 50...

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 01-21-2023 at 08:52 AM.
Old 01-21-2023, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
I have a good friend, been at TPC for 10 years, part of 'management', and he was just let go along with 39 others..and he doesn't paint a pretty picture of TPC so........

Unfortunately, some of those who knew what TPC was and should be, who understood the 'essence' of TPC, had been there a long time, were shown the door in this last downsizing...
That number seems really high (40) how many are left, hard to imagine it can still be business as usual, or maybe it has dropped off that much.
Old 01-21-2023, 08:57 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
I have a good friend, been at TPC for 10 years, part of 'management', and he was just let go along with 39 others...
Regardless of the business tactics, I'm sorry to hear about your friend. Losing a job in an economy/industry heading for recession sucks, no matter what. Hope he lands on his feet quickly.
Old 01-21-2023, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Regardless of the business tactics, I'm sorry to hear about your friend. Losing a job in an economy/industry heading for recession sucks, no matter what. Hope he lands on his feet quickly.
This is the best and most important message in this thread. We all can choose to buy and/or sell our bikes elsewhere but quite a few people in the bike business and all over the Country are being laid off. Where we decide to spend our money on luxuries just ain't that important. I've been buying from TPC for a long time. In the last year, not so much but it's not a big deal to me. I got plenty of great deals from them and a few years ago was often surprised at how much they'd pay me for bikes I didn't want anymore. When that changed I switched to 100% private party buying and selling. I hope the folks that have been let go land on their feet and that TPC makes it through this. I work with businesses of all sizes but it's the smaller businesses that are typically the most fun and rewarding partners I have.
Old 01-29-2023, 02:54 PM

Enjoyed reading this one. Inset CK headset, paint chips, and 30mm tire clearance on that Reynolds fork, huh? I’m assuming some copy/paste errors, but surprising to see.

https://www.theproscloset.com/produc...s-vamoots-sl-m
Old 01-29-2023, 05:05 PM

When Reynolds was still on point, Taylor Swift wasn't even around

We are a bunch of old farts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarbsr02 View Post
Enjoyed reading this one. Inset CK headset, paint chips, and 30mm tire clearance on that Reynolds fork, huh? I’m assuming some copy/paste errors, but surprising to see.

https://www.theproscloset.com/produc...s-vamoots-sl-m
Old 06-05-2023, 07:28 PM

The Pro's Closet is back, baby. After halting purchases less than a year ago, now they're offering $100 off $400 just for submitting a bike to sell. https://selltrade.theproscloset.com/
Old 06-05-2023, 08:36 PM

Quote:
The Pro's Closet is back, baby. After halting purchases less than a year ago, now they're offering $100 off $400 just for submitting a bike to sell. https://selltrade.theproscloset.com/
That, to me, looks more like a veiled way for them to clear out unsold inventory. I'm going to take a stab and guess that the vast, vast majority of people who utilize that credit aren't actually going to end up selling a bike to them, but will do so just to get the $100 off to encourage spending money on pre-existing TPC inventory.

Just my guess. I may be way off on this.
Old 06-06-2023, 02:24 AM
Anthonys

I agree with that assessment Hoj.
Old 06-18-2023, 09:06 PM

https://www.theproscloset.com/produc...rameset-forest

I always thought of Pro’s Closet as either selling used bikes or clearing out ‘new old stock’ but this looks like they are a Time USA dealer as frame is current
Old 06-18-2023, 09:21 PM

They sell marin, too

Time is lost in the US market

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy340 View Post
https://www.theproscloset.com/produc...rameset-forest

I always thought of Pro’s Closet as either selling used bikes or clearing out ‘new old stock’ but this looks like they are a Time USA dealer as frame is current
Old 06-18-2023, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
They sell marin, too

They're also selling new Specialized bikes for more than they're selling for now direct from Specialized and other authorized online dealers.
Old 06-18-2023, 09:46 PM

In today's market, selling specialized means very little...other than you're willing to be floorplanned. Might as well sell aventon ebikes

Great product, dropped a peg or 2 with how they conduct themselves. Specialized that is

If you could sell bikes with a pay by the week setup with an interlock device that burned down your house...TPC would be on it

Quote:
They're also selling new Specialized bikes for more than they're selling for now direct from Specialized and other authorized online dealers.
Old 06-18-2023, 09:47 PM
n - 1

Quote:
I had to fact check this. And you are right. Not by much, but still above “MSRP.”
Old 06-18-2023, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
They sell marin, too

I like the ADHX frame but if TIME are clearing them out via PC then I will wait and see where they are in a couple of months