Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-05-2024, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StressStrain View Post
One word of caution about flat bars: you lose the ability to change hand position. This makes a big difference for me. I really don't like long rides with my hands in a single spot - a drop bar opens up some new positions and improves comfort.
Yeah, that's a concern, though I rarely move off the hoods today, and most of my bike-packing today is on a hardtail, so I don't think it'll be a problem.
Old 07-24-2024, 10:56 AM

Here are my two. Compliment each other quite well. I got rid of my road bike and have two wheel sets for the SuperSix Evo SE, it's quite fast. I run 32c road tires on one set and 35c G-One RS on the other. The Slate has a few upgrades, carbon Hunt wheels, Canyon/Ergon seat post, swapped the chainrings to 50/34 and cassette to 11-34. Both have my personal preference Zipp 70 XPLR bars and Pro Stealth saddle.

Last edited by MrCannonCam; 07-24-2024 at 05:48 PM.
Old 07-24-2024, 11:13 AM

Ritchey Ti Cross Breakaway

In more of a path/road mode. Got some very silver Zeta wheels + Pirelli 35c tires. Not the fastest hoops out there but super plush. Still trying to work out the best combo for road and off-road. There is a lot more room between the stays for fatter rubber.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6AAFA030-E8A0-4747-AA4E-B9BE29B7C7C9.jpg (149.1 KB, 569 views)
Old 07-24-2024, 03:17 PM

Old 07-24-2024, 03:28 PM

Came here to post the same bike. I have the Cane Creek suspension stem & post on it now. Love the bike. Also running Mavic Ksyriums at the moment and wondering how good the bike would be with some truly good wheels.

Last edited by alexihnen; 07-25-2024 at 07:46 PM.
Old 07-24-2024, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macaroon View Post
Oh man that bike is jaw droppingly gorgeous, enjoy the ride
Old 07-25-2024, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexihnen View Post
Came here to post the same bike. I have the Cane Creek suspension stem & post on it now. Love the bike. Also running Mavic Ksyriums at the moment and wondering how good the bike would be with some truly good wheels.
What're the chances, I don't think there're any others in this thread then two come along at once.
I am tempted to buy some Lightbicycle low profile (25mm deep) carbon wheels which if nothing else, would probably save half a kg from a heavy bike. In terms of ride quality, I can't imagine they'd make really any difference though, hence I've not yet gone through with the purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trener1 View Post
Oh man that bike is jaw droppingly gorgeous, enjoy the ride
I think the phot below mine does the paint job more justice.
Old 07-26-2024, 03:20 AM

That generation Orbea Terra, with the almost horizontal top tube and the very low seat tube extension, looks fantastic! A part of me whish I had picked up one when they did the color customization program.

@Macaroon: How do you like the Growtacs with Campagnolo? I am always tempted by a build with mech discs due to me preferring the mech shifter ergonomics over the hydro, although the latter still works fine.

Last edited by erik$; 07-26-2024 at 03:22 AM.
Old 07-26-2024, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erik$ View Post
That generation Orbea Terra, with the almost horizontal top tube and the very low seat tube extension, looks fantastic! A part of me whish I had picked up one when they did the color customization program.

@Macaroon: How do you like the Growtacs with Campagnolo? I am always tempted by a build with mech discs due to me preferring the mech shifter ergonomics over the hydro, although the latter still works fine.
The frame is relatively heavy, perhaps due to the extra carbon required compared to a more modern frame with a dropped top tube? It's comfortable though, but perhaps only feels so after not owning a comfortable style bike for ten or so years.

As for the Growtacs, they work very well, the only negative being the pads run very close to the rotor. But this is a feature of every cable actuated disc caliper (except Pauls Clampers which I think are Campag specific) when paired with Campagnolo levers. Better than the rest (Spyre and Juin Tech F1) of the calipers I've used. Very easy to disassemble. Not tried in wet weather or through winter yet.
Old 07-26-2024, 06:52 AM
Administrator

Just keeping the rim brake content alive here

Old 07-26-2024, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Just keeping the rim brake content alive here

Great photo, Nick!
Old 07-26-2024, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macaroon View Post
The frame is relatively heavy, perhaps due to the extra carbon required compared to a more modern frame with a dropped top tube? It's comfortable though, but perhaps only feels so after not owning a comfortable style bike for ten or so years.

As for the Growtacs, they work very well, the only negative being the pads run very close to the rotor. But this is a feature of every cable actuated disc caliper (except Pauls Clampers which I think are Campag specific) when paired with Campagnolo levers. Better than the rest (Spyre and Juin Tech F1) of the calipers I've used. Very easy to disassemble. Not tried in wet weather or through winter yet.
I might have to try out a pair for my next road build then. Having used both Spyres and Juin Tech F1, it sounds like the Growtacs wont be any worse.

Thanks!
Old 07-26-2024, 12:44 PM

Are those gardening gloves, Nick?
Old 07-26-2024, 05:48 PM

More rim brake love...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg steelman.jpg (109.4 KB, 264 views)
Old 07-26-2024, 05:59 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ickymon View Post
More rim brake love...
10/10 - perfect man!