Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-16-2024, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
If you are talking about what a particular person manufactures that’s one thing, if you are attacking the person because you don’t like them for whatever reason, that’s something else.
Meh. When a CEO and a company are so tightly associated, and the CEO makes an arse of himself on the regular, any criticism of that CEO is fair game.
Old 09-16-2024, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
They sure seem to be selling here. There was one at the trailhead yesterday. More green than driving a big ICE truck to the trailhead, but there were a lot of us who had them beat because we’d just rode our bikes there.
Will a bike even fit in the bed of one of those?

Old 09-16-2024, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post

The CT bed is 6’x4’.

My Model Y with the rear seats folded down will easily swallow my road bike without removing the front wheel.
Old 09-16-2024, 09:10 AM
Administrator

I didnt take a pic, but I was just out in Boulder and saw a CT at a trailhead with a typical tailgate pad and 4 mtbs in the bed, so people are out there using them for truck stuff.
Old 09-16-2024, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post

I don't know but I kind of laugh at the silliness of bikes with the front wheel hanging out of pickup trucks with one of those branded blankets over the tailgate... you got that gigantic vehicle and somehow the bike still isn't totally inside the bed...

I am sure that works but I'm curious how you secure the bike inside the bed and it sure seems performative, especially with driving around with the branded (Fox?) blanket over the bed all the time.

For one or two bikes can't you just lay them in the bed and run a cable lock through something inside the bed? Gotta be an eyelet somewhere?

I mean it's kind of bad when a minivan can have 3 bikes inside without taking any wheels off and then still carry 3-4 adults inside.
Old 09-16-2024, 09:45 AM

James may is a legend

This is one of the best car reviews I've seen in a while....makes me nostalgic for the good old days. I am ambivalent on the truck, but my God is he good at what he does.

https://youtu.be/CQzYhMDNLPA?si=FrnAk9nbWWffzCOq
Old 09-16-2024, 09:53 AM

Quote:
you got that gigantic vehicle and somehow the bike still isn't totally inside the bed...
A mountain bike is about 6' long. Most truck beds are not 6'.

For multiple bikes, that means you either do a fork mount on a rail, or a tailgate pad, or a hitch rack.

I have a fork rail for longer drives, but use a tailgate pad for getting to the local trailhead. Don't use a hitch rack because when not in use, it blocks the tailgate.
Old 09-16-2024, 10:04 AM

I have seen a few running around Greenville, SC. Parked next to one the other day. I'm sorry but they just look terrible. The finish on the panels is terrible, wavy, finger prints everywhere, looks like it's 10 years old already. To think they are pushing $80k+, I can't help but think most American consumers are just dumb and always want to newest look at me gadget, the cybercar is a gadget. Tesla laughing all the way to the bank.
Old 09-16-2024, 11:42 AM
Back At It!

Quote:
I don't know but I kind of laugh at the silliness of bikes with the front wheel hanging out of pickup trucks with one of those branded blankets over the tailgate... you got that gigantic vehicle and somehow the bike still isn't totally inside the bed...

I am sure that works but I'm curious how you secure the bike inside the bed and it sure seems performative, especially with driving around with the branded (Fox?) blanket over the bed all the time.

For one or two bikes can't you just lay them in the bed and run a cable lock through something inside the bed? Gotta be an eyelet somewhere?

I mean it's kind of bad when a minivan can have 3 bikes inside without taking any wheels off and then still carry 3-4 adults inside.
I hate laying my bike down in the bed of a truck.. I've that a couple of time with my road bike (one bike on the bottom, moving blanket, my bike on top) and still ended up with some slight rub marks.. I assume an MTB owner isn't as worried about rub marks, but still.. I can see the advantage of the wheel over the tailgate thing to be honest.. keep the bike upright.. when I had my 2015 Tacoma, it had a rail in the front of the bed that I had a fork mount on.. perfect for mounting a bike (also, a 54ish road bike with the wheels on wouldn't really fit in the bed anyway unless on a diagonal)..
Old 09-16-2024, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickdoc View Post
This is one of the best car reviews I've seen in a while....makes me nostalgic for the good old days. I am ambivalent on the truck, but my God is he good at what he does.
He is indeed...Mr. May nails it when he suggests the Cybertruck design language could look great on a smaller vehicle. These (utter B.S.) "cybercar" images have been floating around for a while, and show what such a car might look like. I for one would buy it in a heartbeat, especially in near-indestructible stainless:

Screen Shot 2024-09-16 at 12.47.56 PM.jpg

Last edited by dgauthier; 09-16-2024 at 02:56 PM.
Old 09-16-2024, 05:05 PM

Here is one to get the tongues wagging
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1710.jpg (98.5 KB, 188 views)
Old 09-16-2024, 06:47 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the bottle ride View Post
Here is one to get the tongues wagging
surprisingly, that's one of the better looking CTs, in my opinion.. still wouldn't buy it, but..
Old 09-16-2024, 07:18 PM

Dunno, but I stand by my sentiment. Elon is a tool and the patron saint if soon to be single dudes. Products not far behind at the moment. Culture wars being culture wars, I'm kinda mellow. He deserves all the critique he gets

Don't know why you're singling out my comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
If you are talking about what a particular person manufactures that’s one thing, if you are attacking the person because you don’t like them for whatever reason, that’s something else.

Poor form and technically against the rules here.

W.

Last edited by peanutgallery; 09-16-2024 at 08:51 PM.
Old 09-17-2024, 01:45 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
Dunno, but I stand by my sentiment. Elon is a tool and the patron saint if soon to be single dudes. Products not far behind at the moment. Culture wars being culture wars, I'm kinda mellow. He deserves all the critique he gets

Don't know why you're singling out my comment
Because you posted it and it exemplifies the message I was trying to get across.

Rules here are for everyone regardless of who you like…or don’t.

W.
Old 09-17-2024, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourflys View Post
surprisingly, that's one of the better looking CTs, in my opinion.. still wouldn't buy it, but..
I agree.. it looks good because the curves in the camo break up the angles and hide any imperfections in the body work.

James May had a really interesting review of the CT lately and he took straight edges to the body work.

The panels are not actually flat, most of them are subtly curved to trick your eye, if they were dead flat it would be even easier to see the imperfections.

I have seen a bunch of wrapped/painted CTs already but they are all solid. This may be one of the rare vehicles where a non-solid paint job or some stripes would make it look significantly better.

Tags
incels, muskrat