Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-08-2023, 08:14 PM
50 bpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingson View Post
oh... My... GOODNESS... GRACIOUS!!!

all that needs is a white stem.

if i ever get my 2007 Pro-Team White repainted, i'm doing it this way
I already promised not to be a copycat but I'm rethinking my position.
Old 08-09-2023, 12:21 AM

Thanks for the flowers BUT I think we have to follow a kind of gentlemen’s honor here on the forum and not blatantly copy each others artistic vision (which is copy righted/ trade marked btw) 😁

Funnily I always wanted the pro team white model but decided against repainting mine that way

Last edited by SDJ; 08-09-2023 at 12:23 AM.
Old 08-16-2023, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
The Look 585 series was the successor to the 381/481. The 481 replaced the 381 but they were nearly identical. This series came in about 14 different sizes, each one slightly optimized in its geometry.

The 585 had larger tubes, carbon lugs and used a standard sized seatpost, in contrast to the 481, which used a non-standard seatpost and aluminum lugs and dropouts. The 585 has much more carbon. It was also made in fewer sizes, either five or six instead of fourteen. Of great appeal to many people is the fact that Looks of this era use normal, threaded bottom brackets. Use your Shimano or Campagnolo or Sram with confidence. They are not proprietary.

I owned a 381 and really enjoyed it for several years but then graduated to a 585, which I felt never fit quite right. I own several today and feel the same way but they're within the margin of error and work just fine.

It's not clear to me why they have a nice ride quality but they are pretty good at muting and damping a coarse road surface. They're not overly stiff but are stiff enough for most riders most of the time

Things to watch out for, in my experience, are peeling clear coat and especially mismatched headset parts. I've seen this and getting the right washers and races is nearly impossible if the previous owner attempted to "Upgrade" their headset. Don't even try. They accept a standard bearing AFAIK but the races are critical.

The Origin and Ultra are identical AFAIK except the Ultra uses a different carbon layup and possibly an extra layer in places and is advertised as being 15% stiffer. This seems plausible as I've had both but I also think it may result in less damping of the ride quality. Again, it's splitting hairs and it can't be measured. I like the Ultra for the mental game that it's stiffer and also for the aesthetic of the black carbon.

They show up on eBay with regularity and the prices are reasonable. I would pay $800 for a real NOS version with fork and headset and up to $500 for one in excellent condition. But no more than this.

I also own a Giant TCR Advanced SL and the Looks get ridden more than the nominally "higher performance" Giant.

They're not super stiff but they're not noodles either if you're not a World Tour sprinter. They're fine road bikes if they fit your body shape and riding style. They are race bikes, not gravel bikes. I can fit 25mm tires on wide rims on mine but that doesn't leave much clearance. Mostly I use 23s on wide rims.

Hopefully this sheds some light on Look 585s. I think they were last produced about a decade ago, so honestly, they're no longer remotely current. But they are as good today as when they were produced and that was pretty good. Since I'm stuck in the past I'm OK with how they ride for my current mileage and riding style.

Here are the two in my fleet I ride the most. The white one lives in Minneapolis and gets ridden when i'm in town there. The black one lives with me in Chicago and gets the most mileage of all my bikes these days. Both are photographed at beer stops, which is how I enjoy my rides these days!

Look 585 Origin (repainted)

Look 585 Ultra

White color looks sharp!
Old 08-16-2023, 04:27 PM

I used to have a 585 that was stolen. I absolutely loved it.

It seemed like it should have been super stiff, fat tubes all the way around and narrow tires only. But somehow it didn't seem overly stiff. Not plush by any imagination but I can recall the road having to get pretty rough before it felt harsh.

Also, great style. Pre-disc, it looked modern and classic at the same time.

I got it down to about 15.5 pounds. Some of my fastest Strava climbing segments are still from that bike.
Old 08-16-2023, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
The Look 585 series was the successor to the 381/481. The 481 replaced the 381 but they were nearly identical. This series came in about 14 different sizes, each one slightly optimized in its geometry.

The 585 had larger tubes, carbon lugs and used a standard sized seatpost, in contrast to the 481, which used a non-standard seatpost and aluminum lugs and dropouts. The 585 has much more carbon. It was also made in fewer sizes, either five or six instead of fourteen. Of great appeal to many people is the fact that Looks of this era use normal, threaded bottom brackets. Use your Shimano or Campagnolo or Sram with confidence. They are not proprietary.

I owned a 381 and really enjoyed it for several years but then graduated to a 585, which I felt never fit quite right. I own several today and feel the same way but they're within the margin of error and work just fine.

It's not clear to me why they have a nice ride quality but they are pretty good at muting and damping a coarse road surface. They're not overly stiff but are stiff enough for most riders most of the time

Things to watch out for, in my experience, are peeling clear coat and especially mismatched headset parts. I've seen this and getting the right washers and races is nearly impossible if the previous owner attempted to "Upgrade" their headset. Don't even try. They accept a standard bearing AFAIK but the races are critical.

The Origin and Ultra are identical AFAIK except the Ultra uses a different carbon layup and possibly an extra layer in places and is advertised as being 15% stiffer. This seems plausible as I've had both but I also think it may result in less damping of the ride quality. Again, it's splitting hairs and it can't be measured. I like the Ultra for the mental game that it's stiffer and also for the aesthetic of the black carbon.

They show up on eBay with regularity and the prices are reasonable. I would pay $800 for a real NOS version with fork and headset and up to $500 for one in excellent condition. But no more than this.

I also own a Giant TCR Advanced SL and the Looks get ridden more than the nominally "higher performance" Giant.

They're not super stiff but they're not noodles either if you're not a World Tour sprinter. They're fine road bikes if they fit your body shape and riding style. They are race bikes, not gravel bikes. I can fit 25mm tires on wide rims on mine but that doesn't leave much clearance. Mostly I use 23s on wide rims.
https://www.viberate.com/music-analy...ist-analytics/
Hopefully this sheds some light on Look 585s. I think they were last produced about a decade ago, so honestly, they're no longer remotely current. But they are as good today as when they were produced and that was pretty good. Since I'm stuck in the past I'm OK with how they apartment omis croatia ride for my current mileage and riding style.

Here are the two in my fleet I ride the most. The white one lives in Minneapolis and gets ridden when i'm in town there. The black one lives with me in Chicago and gets the most mileage of all my bikes these days. Both are photographed at beer stops, which is how I enjoy my rides these days!

Look 585 Origin (repainted)

Look 585 Ultra

that look really amazing, glad I found it here
Old 09-16-2023, 09:27 AM

Will the 585 fit a 27 or 28mm tubular?
Old 09-16-2023, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4k1 View Post
Will the 585 fit a 27 or 28mm tubular?
In all likelihood, yes.

My ~ 2009 era 585 fits a 28 mm clincher on rims with a 17 mm internal width… although just barely.
Old 09-16-2023, 02:06 PM

I would need to know for sure. Clincher widths are a bit too vague for me.
Old 09-16-2023, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Mine does 27mm measured is about max... will depend on the frame and tire.
Old 09-16-2023, 06:34 PM

Quote:
I’ve run 27 mm Vittoria Pave tubulars as well; more room than the clinchers mentioned above.
Old 11-20-2023, 01:59 PM

Replacing my 585

My 585 got rear ended by a car a few weeks ago and it's officially a goner, RIP. It was my forever bike and had been upgraded multiple times over the years, most recently sporting R8000 components along with Zipp Course 30 wheels running Conti 5000 TR S 28mm tubeless rubber and I couldn't have been happier with the ride quality.

So now I'm thinking about what to do for a replacement and so far I've come up with a few different options for a modern bike that feels like the 585:

1) Replace the frame with a rim brake 785 Huez RS ($3k)
2) 785 Huez RS Disc with Ultegra Di2 ($5k)
3) 2022 Specialized Aethos Expert with Ultegra Di2 ($5k)

Of those options I'm actually leaning towards the Aethos as the round tubes, conventional triangles and super light weight really appeal to me but I would like some input on the Look options. Has anyone here ridden the 785's enough to provide guidance on either bike? Other options?
Old 11-20-2023, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeKGB View Post
My 585 got rear ended by a car a few weeks ago and it's officially a goner, RIP. It was my forever bike and had been upgraded multiple times over the years, most recently sporting R8000 components along with Zipp Course 30 wheels running Conti 5000 TR S 28mm tubeless rubber and I couldn't have been happier with the ride quality.

So now I'm thinking about what to do for a replacement and so far I've come up with a few different options for a modern bike that feels like the 585:

Of those options I'm actually leaning towards the Aethos as the round tubes, conventional triangles and super light weight really appeal to me but I would like some input on the Look options. Has anyone here ridden the 785's enough to provide guidance on either bike? Other options?
Very sorry to hear...but glad you are OK. What frame size do you ride?
Old 11-20-2023, 03:48 PM

Quote:

Hope you're alright! Losing a bike is never fun, but being hurt is worse

If you want another 585 and ride a medium, I've got a frameset I need gone for like 10% of what an Aetheos would cost...
Old 11-20-2023, 05:15 PM

I ride a small / 51. Aethos lines up almost perfectly with the 585's geometry and to be clear the last two options are full bikes not just a frame.

https://geometrygeeks.bike/compare/l...ethos-2021-52/

As far as the damage to me goes, I have a compression fracture of my L2 vertebrae and a huge hematoma on my ass that caused a tons of swelling in my lower leg. Bad, but could have been a lot worse for sure.
Old 11-20-2023, 05:29 PM

Quote:
I ride a small / 51. Aethos lines up almost perfectly with the 585's geometry and to be clear the last two options are full bikes not just a frame.

https://geometrygeeks.bike/compare/l...ethos-2021-52/

As far as the damage to me goes, I have a compression fracture of my L2 vertebrae and a huge hematoma on my ass that caused a tons of swelling in my lower leg. Bad, but could have been a lot worse for sure.
Go with the Aetheos then! My father in law has one and likes it, but does like his Open Mind a bit more. That would be another one to check out.

I had a similar injury (burst fracture L4, bruise on hip and ass) after getting whacked at a car and took about a year to feel normal again with PT and everything. Happy to share more if you drop me a line